“Cool hotel but totally underperformed”
Review of Romeo Hotel

Romeo Hotel
Ranked #15 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Very cool style and very modern design. Hotel staff was very friendly and knowledgeable, and all staff seemed to speak very good, some excellent, English. Breakfast was included in my daily rate, and the offerings were varied and overall very good. Delicious and fresh mozzarella di bufula, assorted prosciutto, salumi, and other cheeses. Fresh baked croissants and rolls, as well as fresh fruit. Espresso/cappuccino included.

Where the hotel failed was in the design of the rooms and their inconsistent policies. My Virtuoso rate was supposed to included daily entry to the spa/gym (20Euro expense otherwise), as well as a room upgrade, welcome drink, welcome fruit platter, a "local amenity," and some fresh bottled water. I had to negotiate for all of these things except for the fruit/water, and I still do not know what my "local amenity" is/was because I never received it. The design of the room was overly complicated, with light switches in random locations and even switches in one corner of the room that controlled lights over the bathroom/vanity sink. The shower flooded into the bathroom everyday, and the towels weren't very luxurious considering the rate I was paying. My room was an "upgrade," but it was really just facing a huge warehouse on the Bay of Naples. I have stayed in nicer rooms for half the rate at the Royal Continental.

The gym did not open until 10am each morning, which I find very annoying, and the pool deck was extremely small, with only 7 lounge chairs for a full hotel.

I liked the hotel overall, but I do feel like I could have received a MUCH BETTER value at other Naples hotels. If not for the friendly staff (especially the front desk staff), I do not think I would even rate the hotel as "good."

Room Tip: Facing the water is why you are staying on the Bay of Naples in the first place, so spend an extra...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Michael C

Reviewed 23 August 2012

This is a modern hotel, and a great choice if you have a brief stay in Naples. The staff were really helpful, buffet breakfast was lovely and the rooms were large and comfortable. The swimming pool and area is small, more like a wading pool, but has some nice jacuzzi chairs inside. The location is pretty poor though, and not much in walking distance. Still, its a good reason to stay in the hotel and not venture outside!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nikkiq
GeneralManager_Romeo, Direttore generale at Romeo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Dear nikki q,
Thank you so much for your review. I will inform my staff about your special words and we are very glad that Romeo hotel was the final stop of your interesting trip.
Warmest regards.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Romeo Hotel during our brief visit to Naples. My wife and I particularly enjoyed the gourmet restaurant on the roof of the hotel and made our way out to the terrace near the pool as often as our busy schedule allowed.

There is an astonishing level of attention to detail at this hotel. The overall style and design was impeccable. Very modern, while still classy and luxuriously elegant. Our room (Studio Corner) was particularly pleasing as it was very spacious, bright and had a beautiful view over the sea and Mt. Vesuvius through the floor-to-ceiling glass windows. The linens were exquisite and the bed - heavenly.

We experienced friendly, efficient service throughout our 3 night stay. Most of our queries were directed to the front desk staff and concierge, who offered a wealth of information and tips. They also arranged an English speaking tour guide for us who showed us around the historic centre of Naples. We also had a visit to the old opera house arranged for us, transportation, tour of the "Underground Naples" archaeological site, restaurant bookings, and other excursions such as to the palace at Caserta.

This is a true 5 star hotel and our needs were taken care of as one would expect. We have no complaints and enjoyed our visit to Naples and stay at the Romeo. Service is particularly important to us, especially when traveling in foreign countries where we do not know the language. So, for this, we were extremely pleased with our stay. Truth be told, my wife and I are quite demanding travelers and request much assistance. The Romeo Hotel had no problem fulfilling our requests and, likewise, we have no hesitation in giving it an excellent review.

Room Tip: Studio Corner is very spacious and bright. Ours had a wonderful view over the Gulf of Naples and of...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nathan M

Dear Nathan M,
Thank you very much from the entire staff of Romeo hotel! We really appreciate your special review. Everyday and with every client we do our best to assure them a memorable stay in Naples.
We will be very glad to welcome you again at the Romeo. See you soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Naples for us had nothing to offer except a boat out of there! Decided to spend 3 nights of our honeymoon here in hotel Romeo but felt Naples is unsafe and unclean. Hotel is right beside marina you can catch Sorrento ferry for 15 Euro and Capri for 18. Hotel was rediculously expensive. We had dinner our first night cost 200 Euro which we would not mind paying but the fish was under cooked to the extent my seabass was cold and raw in the centre. A beer is aprox 8 Euro a cocktail about 15 and unfortunately once you step out of the hotel It's all a bit grubby unkept and unsafe. Hotel not bad if you need a one night stop off before heading elsewhere but I'm sure you would find better value.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank Sue79Kildare
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The design, comfort and location of this hotel make it a place st explore Naples from. The rooms are beautifully appointed and very comfortable indeed. In spite of remarks in a leading travel guide about the area, we find the location very convenient and safe, in what is a true and authentic area of Naples. The small pool on the roofs offers a great jacuzzi with breathtaking views of the Vesuvius and Capri.
Drinks however are served for extortionate prices and the fact that the gym commands an extra, whopping, € 20 p.p is remarkable. But, on the plus side, wifi I'd free of charge and of good quality.

There is one incident that was disconcerting, however: we left the room to have breakfast and after breakfast we went back to collect some belongings before heading off, into town. As I entered the room, I found 3 chambermaids in the room: not cleaning, but they were eating a selection of assorted nuts, that I had left on my bedside table. As I entered the room, they looked up and didn't even apologize for eating my nuts and were sheepishly laughing. I was too baffled to say anything and felt the embarrassment they were supposed to feel. I feel it is awkward because it doesn't exactly make the right impression, certainly because housekeeping staff in particular should have utmost respect for the personal belongings of the guests.

We will be back here next week, because we already booked and paid the reservation: if that had not been the case, we could have considered an alternative.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaukC504
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I only stayed in this hotel for one night as a recovery from a long haul flight and then to journey to Sorrento the next morning. It was difficult to get to from Napoli Centrale (granted I was abducted by a supposed "taxi" driver who then tried to charge me 70 Euros for the 5 minute journey) but very nice and modern inside. The view was certainly nothing great, just overlooking dirty shipping yards. The room was standard in size for a 5 star hotel, with good facilities. The wifi was included which was nice. The minibar however was one of those nasty electronic ones where even if you touch something, they charge you. It served it's purpose for me, as took me all of 5 minutes to get to the Ferry terminal in the morning.
Overall, nothing outstanding, but served it's purpose for what I needed it for

Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank BmitchAdelaide
GeneralManager_Romeo, Direttore generale at Romeo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2012

Dear Bmitch Adelaide,
Thank you for choosing Romeo Hotel.

Yes, our guests can easily reach many fantastic destinations from our hotel.

I am sorry you did not have much time to completely visit our Hotel, I ensure you that one day is not enough to discover everything. Next time you will be at our property as our valued guest, ask for me and I will be at your disposal to illustrate our magnificent Hotel.

See you soon

Reviewed 5 August 2012

i choose this hotel because they had a fitness room. in fact they have but even as a hotel guest you have to pay 20 euros for every use of the fitness center!! their swimmingpool is so small that you can't even try to swim in it!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marysehansen
Hotel-Manager-Romeo, Direttore generale at Romeo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Dear Tiffany Qualin,
thank you for your review.
Our pool, located at the ninth floor, is not a big pool; indeed, we describe it on our website as a pool and not a swimming pool.
Regarding the fitness centre, I am taking into consideration your comments and I am going to apply a new policy for 2013.
I hope to see you soon.