Romeo Hotel
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
1,198 results
All reviewsrooftop poolsushi restaurantmichelin star restaurantwellness suitemodern hotellight switchessmall poolfloor to ceiling windowsamalfi coasttop floorpoor locationmount vesuviusport areacorner roomamazing hotelbusy roaddeluxe room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Having planned a three day trip to Naples (i.e. try the most famous pizza restaurants and as many bars as possible), we sought a modern hotel. In this regard, Naples is quite limited: the Romeo is really the only true 'design' hotel in the city. There are many choices of 'traditional style' hotels, but I prefer modern all the way.

We were not disappointed... the rooms were functional, modern, clean, and comfortable. A perfect respite from the 'tired and dirty' streets of Naples. A few minor annoyances in the room: the oft-mentioned leaky shower door (all too common in very modern showers) and a somewhat confusing array of window shade switches. Otherwise, comfortable and perfect. We didn't interact with the staff very much, although we were shown to the room and they attempted a full explanation of everything. I live in Europe, so the elevator controls are quite common. I did use the fitness center, which has the latest TechnoGym equipment... a nice touch. A bit disappointed they wanted a full day fee for the spa when all I wanted was to use the sauna. I didn't try the restaurants, as our goal was to be out and about. And lastly, the view: we had a view over the Port... behind the clouds and smog, you could just about make out the volcano. Not pretty, but no fault of the hotel.

In terms of location, the Port area is rundown, dirty, and features some worrisome looking characters: JUST LIKE MOST OF NAPLES. You are about equidistant to Centro Storico and Chiaia, an easy walk. And if you wish to take the Airport Shuttle Bus (surprisingly safe and efficient), the stop is just down the street. If you are doing any ferry trips to places such as Capri or Ischia, the terminal is also just down the street. I wouldn't say there are any highlights around the Port area itself, however we were more than happy to spend ten more minutes on foot to stay at the Romeo.

If I return to Naples, I will definitely stay at the Romeo. It is unique as a modern 'design' hotel in Naples and offers a great 'getaway' from the streets.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daniel0000
GeneralManager_Romeo, Direttore generale at Romeo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Daniel0000,
ggod points! I agree with you: people should not confuse a hotel review with a city review.
See you soon!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

A big thank you to Danilo for looking after us. He arranged a private tour throughout the Amalfi Coast line. He wasagble to suggest some great traditional restaurants.

The hotel was clean and nice.

The only downfall was being told by the female staff (who were very unhelpful and rude) that we could not bring food or drink back to the hotel. We wanted a night in (pizza), being 1 hat restaurant they did not have this on their room service. We were told to go out and eat and not bring it back. So basically you can't bring back water, coffee, a bottle of wine, nothing. It was rediculous. It was the only night Danilo did not work, I feel the front of house was let down. Unfortunately these female staff On our last night really left a bad impression on hotel.

I am a Kimpton member and expected a bit better from their brand.

Location was ok.

Posted late March, early April 2014.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dek78
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Three couples stayed here for two nights on our 11 day trip to Italy! Romeo Hotel, overall, was nice. It's decor is very modern and very clean!! It's location was awful!! We did not feel safe at all. Even though there were six of us, we did not feel safe walking anywhere!! The rooms were nice and comfortable but if you are paying more for a room with a view, there is NO such thing! I don't feel they should advertise such a thing that does not exist!
The bar area was nice and the service was very good! The front desk was very helpful with booking a driver for us to see the Amalfi Coast!!
Although our stay at Romeo was good there was no way I could rate it over 3 stars because of its location and false advertising of views!!
Naples would be one of my last choices for ever visiting again!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Decoyqueen
GeneralManager_Romeo, Direttore generale at Romeo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Decoyqueen,
Thank you so much for your review and for appreciation about the hotel, the décor, the facilities and the staff.
As far as the property location is concerned, we tell the truth everywhere. As you can read on our website as well, we say that the hotel is waterfront, and it is located in the city centre, in front of the main harbour and very near to the historical centre. And about rooms too, we stressed that they have different views according to room types: our entry level accommodation have city/harbour view (they face the harbour and are NOT ON the sea), but our Suites have a breathtaking view over the bay. So, basically the view depends on clients budget.
Moreover, analysing your words, actually you do not prefer Naples too much as one of your favourite holiday destinations. Like other cities in the world, Naples shows several cons, but , believe me, it has also a lot of pros (history, monuments, food and wine, people, place of interests,…)! Think about that!
Regards.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Our tragic love affair with Romeo began on New Year’s Eve. We arrived late in the evening at this beautifully lit hotel in a somewhat manic district of Naples. It was love at first sight as we entered. Our eyes hungrily devouring the chic, modern décor, both in the lobby, and in the room.

A good start.

But all was not as it seemed - Romeo was dying.

Having ingested a potent poison (whose fatal ingredients included insolent, posturing staff and unnecessary affectations), Romeo lay dying right before our eyes, and we were to share in the pain of this heart-rending suicide.

Romeo’s main problem is that it forgets what it is – a hotel. The result, is an intolerably uncomfortable place to stay – and I’m not talking about the beds (which incidentally are very comfortable!). Remember the 1980’s film Pretty Woman? You get the picture…. Romeo and its staff are suffocatingly pretentious in a way that has long-disappeared from establishments further west (even at the luxury end of the spectrum). In actual fact, we got the distinct impression during our stay, that the staff just didn’t want us to be there; that we were somehow intruding upon their sacred domain.

We were greeted as we arrived at around 8pm on New Year’s Eve. The receptionist gave us the card key, introduced us to the fascinatingly impractical elevator (the buttons are on the outside – yes, think about it), and told us about the “SkyBar” on the roof – although hastily added that we shouldn’t go there that night because it was private. Guests can’t use the hotel bar? I quizzed… On New Year’s Eve? Apparently not.

We awoke on the first morning, a little hung-over after the ‘grande festa’ in Piazza Plebiscito the night before (which was a fantastic experience), and jumped out of bed to soak in the amazing view of the Bay of Naples. After 20 minutes randomly pressing buttons to try and open the curtains, we were disappointed to see that our “upgrade” to a room with a “deluxe bay view” had resulted only in a view of a noisy, dirty, industrial port. Although, over the thousands of tons of cargo being loaded into multiple ships, we did manage to catch a glimpse of the top of Vesuvius, albeit through the thick, black smoke from the funnels of the cargo ship 'Catania'.

Oh well, things can only get better, we thought, so we had a coffee from the Espresso machine (which was delicious), and began our week long holiday… which included Naples, Rome, Sorrento, Pompeii, and Vesuvius.

Our second night in the hotel was a sleepless one. The oppressive heat in the bedroom seemed peculiar given that the air-con was at the coldest setting. We tried to open the windows instead, but the noise from the street outside, along the port road, was deafening. When I awoke on day three my eyes and mouth had been welded shut by the heat, and my throat was as dry as dust. I went to the coffee machine to make an espresso, only to realise that you are only provided with 2 capsules on the first night and none after that. In a 5* hotel? Wow…. that is cheap!

We decided to go down to the desk to mention the problems with the air-con, so we got ourselves showered and dressed. I quite like the arrangement of the bathroom, with a matt black wet-room type shower and sliding glass walls. My fiancée wasn’t so keen though because you step out of the shower right into the toilet, which is still part of the wet room and so – wet! I think that although she knew the liquid on the floor was from the shower, her brain just wouldn’t allow her be 100% sure.

We had plenty of nice soft towels, which were all brand new. “Great!” we thought, until we’d gotten dressed….

“If there’s one thing you should know about towels…” explained my mother on my return, “…it’s that you need to wash them before you use them.”

Mother’s know these things. I however, in my ignorance, was destined to spend the next few days engaged in futile attempts to de-fluff every item of dark clothing I owned.

Eventually, we made it to the reception desk and complained about the air-con and explained that we tried the windows but it was too noisy. The lady told us not to worry, that she would send someone to the room to sort it out. When we got back, it was like an oven again.

On the Friday evening, we decided to take the lift to the top floor where the lauded 'il comandante' Michelin-starred restaurant was located. That is after all why we’d chosen this hotel. The plan was to have a drink, admire the view from the top of the hotel, and book dinner for the Saturday night. All didn’t go to plan however.

When the lift door opened and we stepped onto the floor, the maître d’ went white and he nearly broke his neck to intercept us. “You can’t come in here” he spluttered… “Dressed like that!!” His eyes darted up and down, studying my clothes with disgust. I could feel the bile rising in my throat but before I had a chance to say anything my fiancée interjected, explaining that we had come to see the view and have a drink. “It’s not possible!” he retorted viciously.

By now, I had already made the decision that I wouldn’t eat in this restaurant if my life depended on it, but I let him know anyway that we had been around town and had only come to book for the following evening - that’s why I was so atrociously attired in a short-sleeved shirt!

I had a quick look into the restaurant and only one lone couple sat eating, and the man was wearing a jumper and jeans. In any case, I couldn’t believe I was standing here excusing myself to a member of staff.

When he heard that we were there to book for the following evening however, his attitude changed markedly. He said we could have those drinks after all. I didn’t want them at this stage – I was fuming – but my fiancée still wanted to see the view and I conceded. The maître d’ put us out on the freezing terrace and the drinks waiter came. We ordered one drink, which we hurriedly finished, before leaving again. On the way out, the maître d’ asked if we would still like to book for the following evening! “Not a chance”, I replied.

I went straight to reception to complain. The head receptionist was called and stated “Sir must understand that the restaurant has a Michelin star”. “Sir knows this”, I replied, “That’s why sir booked the hotel, and why sir went up to book dinner.” He continued patronisingly – “Sir is a well-travelled man. He must know that in establishments such as this, one cannot eat dinner in a short-sleeved shirt”. “Yes, some restaurants have a dress code, but you’re missing the point. I wasn’t there to eat – I was simply there to book a table”. At this point I was incredulous, and realised I wasn’t going to get any satisfaction. The receptionist said he was sorry if we took any offence and would speak to the maître d’. I heard nothing more after that.

The rest of the holiday was ruined by this encounter. I was so angry I was going to just take my stuff and move us to another hotel, but my fiancée talked me out of it. I’m still angry now, thinking about it.

We still had some good times though – and we still ate some fantastic food. If you are seeking some fine dining, try Palazzo Pertrucci in Naples, or even better, have dinner at Terrazza Bosquet in the Grand Hotel Excelsior in Sorrento – beautiful views, excellent food, and above all, great service.

In fact, why not go all the way and just stay in Sorrento.

So now you see, how our hero Romeo has become tainted by its own pretentions and is dying a slow, painful death. For never was a story of more woe than us and our Romeo….

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Chris P
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is a new, modern, beautifully designed hotel. The service was exceptional and the staff very professional and friendly. We stayed in a nice very spacious suite with harbour view. There is also well deserved Michellin star restaurant on the 10th floor with an amazing view which is a must for everyone staying in this hotel. Nothing to complain about really...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Magdalena B
GeneralManager_Romeo, Direttore generale at Romeo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Magdalena B,
thank you so much for your special review!!!
Kind regards.