“Hotel Romeo great stop over place in Naples”
Review of Romeo Hotel

Romeo Hotel
Ranked #18 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Henderson, Nevada
“Hotel Romeo great stop over place in Naples”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The very modern Hotel Romeo is also staffed with a fun, highly efficient staff. Everyone is very helpful and the property itself is fun and comfortable. The rooms are chic modern and high style, and the beds are luxe comfortable. The breakfast is first class and served with a view of the harbor. We stayed both at the beginning and end of our Amalfi Coast odyssey and were delighted. At the end of our trip when we returned to the hotel, we received a hearty "Welcome Back!" greeting from the staff. Naples is really the jumping off point for Capri and the Amalfi Coast, and we will certainly come again to the Romeo after our long flight from the States. By the way if Naples is your base for several days as it was ours at the beginning of our trip, its location is superb.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if available. It's worth it to get a harbor view as opposed to a blah (by com...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
GeneralManager_Romeo, Direttore generale at Romeo Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear ta2zman,
than you for you review!
We are very pleased that you really appreciated our beautiful property, its design and services. We are looking forward to welcome you again here in Naples!
Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

So I needed a hotel near to Naples centre and read the reviews of this new boutique hotel.

After checking into the room the zebrano furniture literally gave me a headace. The floor was dirty and the laminate or wood what ever they had was in disrepair. Why you would use this in a hotel room I do not know. The most annoying thing was the blinds took forever to close and the bathroom mixers were filthy. The pressure was so poor I literally could not have a shower.

The corridors in the hotel were PITCH black, most probably to hide the dirt!

Wouldn't stay again

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Fred M
Munich
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The hotel is rated five stars, and it deserves it. Everything is first- class throughout, and the most important factor, service, is top- notch. Cabs, tickets, recommendations, reservations, all right away and happy to help.
The hotel is very modern, and has a few non- modern touches, like the centuries- old Japanese suits of armor in the lobby, just outside of the renowned sushi bar. It makes a nice contrast.
The rooms feature a flooring and wall paneling of white and dark brown striped wood. Our room was large and had a view of the bay and Mt. Vesuvius and several of the large cruise ships. There was a Nespresso machine, a safe, a work desk, and the usual amenities. The bathroom / sink area was large and the walk- in tub and shower area was also large. There was an overhead rain shower fixture and a water wand.
The bedding was very comfortable and surprisingly little noise made it into the room from the street below. The curtains were motorized and all the lights could be controlled from bedside.
Breakfast on the 9th floor gave a nice view over the waterfront, Mt. Vesuvius and to the other direction, the “new” castle. Breakfast was basic but very well- prepared.
Location is right near the bay. If you have a lower room your view might be obscured by some of the dock area buildings, so ask for a high floor. There is a tram which runs along the waterfront and goes to both the smaller train station for Herculaneum and Pompeii, and also to the main train station. A Metro station is being built around the corner at the new castle. You can catch the Metro at the University stop, a few short blocks away, and take it to the Archaeological museum, where most of the frescoes and decent mosaics from Pompeii are to be seen. And of course, the hotel will call a cab for you, tell you how much to expect to pay. The cabs always came to the door within a couple of minutes. (Hailing a cab on the streets seems well- nigh impossible.)
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The lower floors have more road noise, and not such a great view; higher floors are worth the add- o...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MunichEricJ
Dear MunichEricJ,
a very detailed and real description of our property. Thank you so much for your review!
Surrey
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Having planned a three day trip to Naples (i.e. try the most famous pizza restaurants and as many bars as possible), we sought a modern hotel. In this regard, Naples is quite limited: the Romeo is really the only true 'design' hotel in the city. There are many choices of 'traditional style' hotels, but I prefer modern all the way.

We were not disappointed... the rooms were functional, modern, clean, and comfortable. A perfect respite from the 'tired and dirty' streets of Naples. A few minor annoyances in the room: the oft-mentioned leaky shower door (all too common in very modern showers) and a somewhat confusing array of window shade switches. Otherwise, comfortable and perfect. We didn't interact with the staff very much, although we were shown to the room and they attempted a full explanation of everything. I live in Europe, so the elevator controls are quite common. I did use the fitness center, which has the latest TechnoGym equipment... a nice touch. A bit disappointed they wanted a full day fee for the spa when all I wanted was to use the sauna. I didn't try the restaurants, as our goal was to be out and about. And lastly, the view: we had a view over the Port... behind the clouds and smog, you could just about make out the volcano. Not pretty, but no fault of the hotel.

In terms of location, the Port area is rundown, dirty, and features some worrisome looking characters: JUST LIKE MOST OF NAPLES. You are about equidistant to Centro Storico and Chiaia, an easy walk. And if you wish to take the Airport Shuttle Bus (surprisingly safe and efficient), the stop is just down the street. If you are doing any ferry trips to places such as Capri or Ischia, the terminal is also just down the street. I wouldn't say there are any highlights around the Port area itself, however we were more than happy to spend ten more minutes on foot to stay at the Romeo.

If I return to Naples, I will definitely stay at the Romeo. It is unique as a modern 'design' hotel in Naples and offers a great 'getaway' from the streets.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daniel0000
Dear Daniel0000,
ggod points! I agree with you: people should not confuse a hotel review with a city review.
See you soon!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 April 2014

A big thank you to Danilo for looking after us. He arranged a private tour throughout the Amalfi Coast line. He wasagble to suggest some great traditional restaurants.

The hotel was clean and nice.

The only downfall was being told by the female staff (who were very unhelpful and rude) that we could not bring food or drink back to the hotel. We wanted a night in (pizza), being 1 hat restaurant they did not have this on their room service. We were told to go out and eat and not bring it back. So basically you can't bring back water, coffee, a bottle of wine, nothing. It was rediculous. It was the only night Danilo did not work, I feel the front of house was let down. Unfortunately these female staff On our last night really left a bad impression on hotel.

I am a Kimpton member and expected a bit better from their brand.

Location was ok.

Posted late March, early April 2014.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dek78
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Three couples stayed here for two nights on our 11 day trip to Italy! Romeo Hotel, overall, was nice. It's decor is very modern and very clean!! It's location was awful!! We did not feel safe at all. Even though there were six of us, we did not feel safe walking anywhere!! The rooms were nice and comfortable but if you are paying more for a room with a view, there is NO such thing! I don't feel they should advertise such a thing that does not exist!
The bar area was nice and the service was very good! The front desk was very helpful with booking a driver for us to see the Amalfi Coast!!
Although our stay at Romeo was good there was no way I could rate it over 3 stars because of its location and false advertising of views!!
Naples would be one of my last choices for ever visiting again!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Decoyqueen
GeneralManager_Romeo, Direttore generale at Romeo Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Decoyqueen,
Thank you so much for your review and for appreciation about the hotel, the décor, the facilities and the staff.
As far as the property location is concerned, we tell the truth everywhere. As you can read on our website as well, we say that the hotel is waterfront, and it is located in the city centre, in front of the main harbour and very near to the historical centre. And about rooms too, we stressed that they have different views according to room types: our entry level accommodation have city/harbour view (they face the harbour and are NOT ON the sea), but our Suites have a breathtaking view over the bay. So, basically the view depends on clients budget.
Moreover, analysing your words, actually you do not prefer Naples too much as one of your favourite holiday destinations. Like other cities in the world, Naples shows several cons, but , believe me, it has also a lot of pros (history, monuments, food and wine, people, place of interests,…)! Think about that!
Regards.
Toulouse, France
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Our tragic love affair with Romeo began on New Year’s Eve. We arrived late in the evening at this beautifully lit hotel in a somewhat manic district of Naples. It was love at first sight as we entered. Our eyes hungrily devouring the chic, modern décor, both in the lobby, and in the room.

A good start.

But all was not as it seemed - Romeo was dying.

Having ingested a potent poison (whose fatal ingredients included insolent, posturing staff and unnecessary affectations), Romeo lay dying right before our eyes, and we were to share in the pain of this heart-rending suicide.

Romeo’s main problem is that it forgets what it is – a hotel. The result, is an intolerably uncomfortable place to stay – and I’m not talking about the beds (which incidentally are very comfortable!). Remember the 1980’s film Pretty Woman? You get the picture…. Romeo and its staff are suffocatingly pretentious in a way that has long-disappeared from establishments further west (even at the luxury end of the spectrum). In actual fact, we got the distinct impression during our stay, that the staff just didn’t want us to be there; that we were somehow intruding upon their sacred domain.

We were greeted as we arrived at around 8pm on New Year’s Eve. The receptionist gave us the card key, introduced us to the fascinatingly impractical elevator (the buttons are on the outside – yes, think about it), and told us about the “SkyBar” on the roof – although hastily added that we shouldn’t go there that night because it was private. Guests can’t use the hotel bar? I quizzed… On New Year’s Eve? Apparently not.

We awoke on the first morning, a little hung-over after the ‘grande festa’ in Piazza Plebiscito the night before (which was a fantastic experience), and jumped out of bed to soak in the amazing view of the Bay of Naples. After 20 minutes randomly pressing buttons to try and open the curtains, we were disappointed to see that our “upgrade” to a room with a “deluxe bay view” had resulted only in a view of a noisy, dirty, industrial port. Although, over the thousands of tons of cargo being loaded into multiple ships, we did manage to catch a glimpse of the top of Vesuvius, albeit through the thick, black smoke from the funnels of the cargo ship 'Catania'.

Oh well, things can only get better, we thought, so we had a coffee from the Espresso machine (which was delicious), and began our week long holiday… which included Naples, Rome, Sorrento, Pompeii, and Vesuvius.

Our second night in the hotel was a sleepless one. The oppressive heat in the bedroom seemed peculiar given that the air-con was at the coldest setting. We tried to open the windows instead, but the noise from the street outside, along the port road, was deafening. When I awoke on day three my eyes and mouth had been welded shut by the heat, and my throat was as dry as dust. I went to the coffee machine to make an espresso, only to realise that you are only provided with 2 capsules on the first night and none after that. In a 5* hotel? Wow…. that is cheap!

We decided to go down to the desk to mention the problems with the air-con, so we got ourselves showered and dressed. I quite like the arrangement of the bathroom, with a matt black wet-room type shower and sliding glass walls. My fiancée wasn’t so keen though because you step out of the shower right into the toilet, which is still part of the wet room and so – wet! I think that although she knew the liquid on the floor was from the shower, her brain just wouldn’t allow her be 100% sure.

We had plenty of nice soft towels, which were all brand new. “Great!” we thought, until we’d gotten dressed….

“If there’s one thing you should know about towels…” explained my mother on my return, “…it’s that you need to wash them before you use them.”

Mother’s know these things. I however, in my ignorance, was destined to spend the next few days engaged in futile attempts to de-fluff every item of dark clothing I owned.

Eventually, we made it to the reception desk and complained about the air-con and explained that we tried the windows but it was too noisy. The lady told us not to worry, that she would send someone to the room to sort it out. When we got back, it was like an oven again.

On the Friday evening, we decided to take the lift to the top floor where the lauded 'il comandante' Michelin-starred restaurant was located. That is after all why we’d chosen this hotel. The plan was to have a drink, admire the view from the top of the hotel, and book dinner for the Saturday night. All didn’t go to plan however.

When the lift door opened and we stepped onto the floor, the maître d’ went white and he nearly broke his neck to intercept us. “You can’t come in here” he spluttered… “Dressed like that!!” His eyes darted up and down, studying my clothes with disgust. I could feel the bile rising in my throat but before I had a chance to say anything my fiancée interjected, explaining that we had come to see the view and have a drink. “It’s not possible!” he retorted viciously.

By now, I had already made the decision that I wouldn’t eat in this restaurant if my life depended on it, but I let him know anyway that we had been around town and had only come to book for the following evening - that’s why I was so atrociously attired in a short-sleeved shirt!

I had a quick look into the restaurant and only one lone couple sat eating, and the man was wearing a jumper and jeans. In any case, I couldn’t believe I was standing here excusing myself to a member of staff.

When he heard that we were there to book for the following evening however, his attitude changed markedly. He said we could have those drinks after all. I didn’t want them at this stage – I was fuming – but my fiancée still wanted to see the view and I conceded. The maître d’ put us out on the freezing terrace and the drinks waiter came. We ordered one drink, which we hurriedly finished, before leaving again. On the way out, the maître d’ asked if we would still like to book for the following evening! “Not a chance”, I replied.

I went straight to reception to complain. The head receptionist was called and stated “Sir must understand that the restaurant has a Michelin star”. “Sir knows this”, I replied, “That’s why sir booked the hotel, and why sir went up to book dinner.” He continued patronisingly – “Sir is a well-travelled man. He must know that in establishments such as this, one cannot eat dinner in a short-sleeved shirt”. “Yes, some restaurants have a dress code, but you’re missing the point. I wasn’t there to eat – I was simply there to book a table”. At this point I was incredulous, and realised I wasn’t going to get any satisfaction. The receptionist said he was sorry if we took any offence and would speak to the maître d’. I heard nothing more after that.

The rest of the holiday was ruined by this encounter. I was so angry I was going to just take my stuff and move us to another hotel, but my fiancée talked me out of it. I’m still angry now, thinking about it.

We still had some good times though – and we still ate some fantastic food. If you are seeking some fine dining, try Palazzo Pertrucci in Naples, or even better, have dinner at Terrazza Bosquet in the Grand Hotel Excelsior in Sorrento – beautiful views, excellent food, and above all, great service.

In fact, why not go all the way and just stay in Sorrento.

So now you see, how our hero Romeo has become tainted by its own pretentions and is dying a slow, painful death. For never was a story of more woe than us and our Romeo….

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple