Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli MGallery by Sofitel
Hotel Duomo(Naples)
  • Free Internet
  • Bar/Lounge
2,741 results
All reviewsm gallerycovered courtyardtrain stationbeautiful hotelold palacecentral courtyardan oasishistorical buildingdirty citypizzareception staffcentro storicohotel restaurantafter darkamalfi coastfelt safejunior suite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I would definitely stay here again. It is right next to the historical centre, with its ancient winding cobbled streets and only a short trip from the airport. It's a lovely peaceful hotel and the rooms are luscious. We had a balcony that looked out onto the street below and down to the bay with Vesuvius looming. It was always impeccably clean and very comfortable and it is not badly priced. I have high standards and have only given it 4 out of 5 as it is not quite perfect, but that is something personal as I feel it could do with more atmosphere.

I note some other reviewers have commented on the staff being rude; however I'm not so sure. We only dealt with reception staff that were happy to advise us on the best places to see, recommend restaurants, and give us maps and book taxis for us. The staff who assist with the breakfast buffet are pretty dumb and you can easily feel ignored, usually resulting in a free breakfast as they forget to ask you who you are. I would not say the hotel was located in a 'rough' area either - the whole of Naples can look a bit rough and dirty in a way; it’s not like one of these snobbish northern Italian cities. Naples has soul and the people we met were very warm and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah-Jane C
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Great Hotel very close to the centre. Very modern, has got a lovely courtyard. We got an upgrade for 10 euro and had a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the courtyard. Great Hotel and price is not bad compared to what is around...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed a couple night in this hotel which is perfectly located to enjoy Naples historic area and get pretty much everywhere.
The building itself is quite nice, with a historical palace kind of feeling, especially this huge patio where you COULD have a great time, hanging out or having breakfast.
Our room was perfectly furnished, quite big, on two level, like a little duplex (mini lounge down and the grey and white quiet room upstairs).
The huge downside of all this is the service and the staff : unfriendly, clueless, only concerned about the so called rules of the hotel and definitely not about the comfort of the guests. They probably would not call "guest", anyway.. those people paying to stay in the hotel and bother them with questions and demands.
Examples : the wifi that is graciously offered to you for 24h hours works for only one device. If two people stay in the room they can connect only one tool. If you ask the lady at the desk "that's the rule. I only obey the rules". Not even a smile. Ok, I felt like I was staying in a student dorm with a guard making sure of my behavior for the night. Breakfast, nice relaxing moment to kick off the day in Napoli, or in other words : fight for your life! Irritated staff running around, and another rule : you can have breakfast in the nice patio, but you don't get served there. So you end up begging for a coffee and seating through cupboard and drawers to gather your plates, forks and spoon and carry them outside.
One more example : how about a cocktail before going out for dinner? the bar tender disappear when you get there, you have to chase him literally, and when he starts taking care of the guests (5 in total in the whole courtyard) he sighs and runs as if he's been harassed by a raging crowd all day. So much for the ambiance.
Could have been so much better...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2012

This hotel is just absolutely beautiful. It’s a modernised palace and everywhere you look there is a little bit of history.

The taxi driver who took us to the hotel from the airport confirmed it was one of the best hotels in Naples and all of the reviews said it was as well. I didn’t quite believe it until we got there but it’s ridiculously clean and has all of the facilities that a 5 star hotel would.

The beds are extremely comfortable and there is a mini bar in the room but it’s rarely restocked and has very little in it, so it’s worth buying some bottled watered after your first night.

Although I can’t confirm whether or not this is true we heard that the hotel restaurant is one of the best so it may be worth eating there one night.

I will say that the hotel staff in particular the reception staff who are just plain rude and bar service was extremely poor. They literally are atrocious at good service. One night it took about an hour to get a drink in the bar despite informing the staff we were there 3 times! The only redeeming service this hotel has are the bell boys.

We paid extra for a better room but we didn’t get one. When we complained we just got told the hotel was full. I thought this was extremely poor service and perhaps something the hotel could look into to prevent other people just wasting their money. If you do upgrade your room beware that only some rooms have a terrace and others don’t. This is the same for bath tubs and showers. We managed to get a room with a bath tub in the end.

All rooms have mini shampoos and showers gels but only some have slippers and a robe.

The hotel was spotless. I could not fault the cleanliness of it and the hotel itself was superb.

The location of the hotel is dodgy and you should not even contemplate walking around the area. Especially if you have young children as you will need your wits about you. It’s based in the worst quarter in Naples. On day 4 we felt relaxed enough to stroll to the station as it was only 5 minutes away. However, we didn’t realise just how poverty stricken and bad the area was.

Despite looking Italian and speaking it very well we were nearly pick pocketed near the train station, which is a haven for petty crime. We picked up on the man following us and he walked away. We believe that a map poking out of my husband's back pocket looked like money.

My advice would be to not look like a tourist. Don’t get your maps or guide books out in the street. Plan your day at the hotel before going out. Take all expensive jewellery off and if you are travelling in pairs divide your money evenly so that you can get a taxi home if you do get pick pocketed. I know it sounds silly but I always kept some money in my bra! Nothing actually happened to us while we were there and I didn’t feel as if I was about to get abducted or anything but there generally is an eerie feeling when you walk about.

If you stay out of the quarter that the hotel is based in and travel around the tourist areas you will be absolutely fine. You just have to bear in mind that Naples is edgy and a little run down. Don’t expect beauty on every street corner like most other Italian cities. Naples is beautiful but in its own very unique way.

You really will be hard pushed to find a 5 star hotel in Naples however if you choose this hotel as your base you won’t be disappointed and this is the closest 4 star you will find that actually if it was based in a better location and had better service this hotel without a doubt would be 5 star hotel.

Make sure you visit Pompeii, Vesuvius and give Sorrento a try one night. Cab fares are the cheapest we’ve experienced in Italy overall and 10 Euros is the going rate.

Really glad we went but not sure we'd go back. It's one of those places to do once in your life time. If the hotel was in another area with better service we'd definitely return.

Have a superb time and eat lots of pizza :)

Room Tip: Check you are in the right room if you paid for an upgrade as the reception staff won't tell you if you are not.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple