“An oasis in hell + the best tourist money-saving tip”

Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #19 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We paid and planned to stay three nights. We left after two and that was two too long.

The hotel itself is clean, modern and well run but the room we were given was extremely poky - you couldn't even wheel a suitcase between the bed and wall. They've clearly just put fake walls into old rooms to make double the numbers. It was clean, comfortable and with a decent enough bathroom, but much much smaller than you'd ever expect from their clever website photographs. Our view was onto some dirty house's washing being hung out over a pile of rubbish... not the picturesque views the pics they use show. Despite the hotel clearly being less than half full they 'had no available rooms' to move us to.

The airport transfer, at €30 is an utter rip-off - DO NOT BOOK. Save yourself the cash and either get a taxi or the local shuttle.

The restaurant is also a rip off - €16 for bruschetta? Outrageous. But then, as you'll very quickly find - the area the hotel is in, much like the rest of the [--] that is Naples, has pretty much no restaurants, and the few you do find, or have recommended, are pretty grim. That said, despite poor service, no acknowledgement, and poor choice - the food we had was generally very tasty and cheap.

Best tip for Naples though (apart from leave and go to Sorrento as soon as possible) was the ArteCard - a brilliant idea if you are staying in the area for a few days. €27 gets you free entrance into two historical sites or museums (so - bingo - that's €22 you've saved on Pompeii and Herculaneum straightaway) PLUS unlimited travel on the trains and local bus network - and when I saw 'local' - that's the whole section of Italy you're in. We used it to get to Pompeii and back, Sorrento and back, a gorgeous bus trip along the Amalfi Coast from Sorrento to Amalfi and then from Amalfi up to Ravello and back, and then, from Sorrento to Herculaneum and back to Naples and then for the airport shuttle bus. Not bad eh? Just remember to protect your valuables from the pickpockets.

All in all - Naples is somewhere you want to leave as soon as you arrive, and whilst that's not really the M Gallery's fault, you should think twice about booking. Head to Sorrento instead as it's easily commutable to the stuff you'd want to see in Naples and its surrounds.

5  Thank Tony B
MONIA A, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Dear Guest,
thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention your remarks concerning your recent stay at our hotel.
We would like to express our apolgize if the surrounding and your view did not live up to your expectations, but as you certainly Know, Palazzo Carcciolo is located in the very heart of the Decumani historic area, in which the whole surrounding zone , is soaked in everywhere of the true and authentic history and culture of the city with its zones of shade and light as many historical districts of numerous cities of the world.
Concerning our room, Palazzo Caracciolo is more than 800 years as you Kindly appreciated and every room is different each other and it isn’t impossible obtain regular structure as regular design, it's for that reason that we purpose different typologies of rooms which can be request during the Reservation time . About the 16€ euro for the "Bruschetta" we Just want to specify that all our gastonomy proposed are selected among the most genuine and fresh typical ingredients of our Region and they are always cooked to the moment.
We owed you this little explanation as we consider your opinions the best way to improve our services and for that we sincerly thank you. This will probably not change the perception on your stay but thank you for choosing our hotel and for the chance you would hopefully give us on a future stay, this would be a great pleasure for us and unmissable occasion to regain your trust.
Sincerly

Reviewed 24 March 2013

After being in Rome for several weeks I was intrigued to see how Naples differed as it seems to get such bad press. Arriving by train at Naples central station it was a relatively easy and short (~15-20 minutes) walk to the hotel. I confess to walking past it as compared to the desolate and dirty surrounding I didn't realise this was the place. The hotel staff quickly confirmed my prepaid booking and, as I had arrived early, organised for me to have another room that was already clean and available.

After a quick shower (there was a bath if you wanted it), it headed out with some trepidation having left most of my valuables in the hotel room's safe. Starting with the wide and sun filled streets I was delighted to see the Archaeological Museum, which was one of my primary destinations, was just 5 minutes walk away (but closed on Tuesdays). I headed down one of the main streets of historical Naples amazed by the grandeur of many of the buildings that must have been magnificent in their day.

As I walked my confidence grew as I realised that the people of Naples had a poorer and more difficult life than many of their Roman cousins but love and closeness of family was obvious everywhere. Feeling I was actually "safe" I ventured more into the side streets and found many wonderful sites and unexpected gems before eventually returning to the hotel for a well earned rest. The hotel staff told me where I could find a nearby restaurant that prepared one of Naples acclaimed pizzas. The Lombardi lived up to its reputation and I sincerely say I had the best pizza I have ever had that night!

The next morning I decided I needed to extend my overnight stay for another day as I knew I had much more to see and enjoy in Naples. The hotel accommodated me with grace. After one of their good (but at €23, expensive) breakfasts, I visited the Archaeological Museum where I spent several hours before heading down to the port and surrounding areas, including the narrow, winding streets where the Camorra used to frequent, I returned once more to the hotel after another enjoyable and totally safe day in Naples. I'd recommend it to anyone who is willing to walk the streets and look past the poverty and litter lined streets. The hotel was well situated for all of this but a cab would be necessary for those wanting to see seaside areas.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Jim C
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I'm not sure how other hotels fare in Naples and how other areas are like, but if the rest of Naples is as dodgy as what we saw then just do yourselves a favour and check into M Gallery. Once you enter the hotel it's like you're in a different world and that's exactly how you need to feel once you've been outside. Naples is so different from all the other Italian cities - it's so dirty, and you really just don't feel safe.

We stayed 2 nights here and we were so glad. We didn't expect Naples to be so dodge so it was good to have somewhere where we felt safe. The rooms itself aren't that big but it is well laid-out and comfortable with all the basic amenities provided - hair dryer, shampoo, body lotion, shower gel, soap, cotton wool & buds, bathroom slippers and even a those small sewing kits! We also had a small balcony that looked into the inner courtyard which was nice. However there wasn't any coffee/tea making facilities in the room which I thought is rather strange for a hotel. They provided one complimentary bottle of water only (but there are shops nearby you can get water from).

We didn't have breakfast included in the room rate but we did have dinner in the restaurant the first night as we didn't dare to go out. We tried a lamb burger and a steak. Both were pretty alright but it is quite expensive when compared to all the other meals we've had. Every main is at least 20+ euros.

If you're more adventurous you can go out to eat. The reception staff are quite helpful when you ask for recommendations on where to eat. When we arrived on the first day they recommended a place for lunch just up the road from the hotel and it was pretty good. The area around the hotel has lots of small grocery shops and cafes that you can also eat at. The second night we had dinner at one of the small shops next to the hotel. It sold roast chicken and potatoes and pizza. Best meal ever and it was so cheap. So don't be too scared to try these places nearer the hotel.

Getting there and around - We rented a car and drove from the main train station area to the hotel. It's not very far but it took a while to get orientated with the roads as the road names are not very clear. When we got there the security guards allowed us to park right outside while we checked in. Options to park a car if you have one is 15 euros if you park it yourself in a garage that is 500m away or 35 euros for valet (i.e. they park it for you and bring it when you need it) for 24 hours. We basically went for the valet option to save us the hassle of it all and so that we didn't have to worry about the safety aspect of walking to and from the garage.

We didn't actually go anywhere in Naples but if you intend to, the hotel is maybe a 15-20 minute walk to the train station.

I would say don't bother staying in Naples but if you are then stay at M Gallery! Rates are less than 100 euro/night if I'm not mistaken.

2  Thank reggiemania
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this lovely hotel. Rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. We had 2 adjoining rooms with twin beds. Breakfast was very good-lots of variety (cheese, meats, fruit, breads). The staff was mostly helpful and friendly, though occasionally we got the reply "It's not possible" to requests for a large cab or changing rooms away from the elevator. We found that persistent politeness goes a long way. The other disappointment was: NO FREE WIFI-- you have to use the hotel's computer. In Rome, all the hotels have free wifi.
Naples is a gritty city, but quite interesting. We enjoyed our stay, but don't need to go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This is a beautiful hotel, but the neighbourhood isn't that great and see negatives below. Wouldn't recommend it, unless you truly can't find anything better in Naples. Naples is a filthy city, so this might be the best options!

Positives:

- Large, clean rooms
- Hotel is very beautiful
- Free shuttle to the port, where you can take a ferry to Capri

Negatives:

- Location and area aren't the most ideal. It's about a 10 - 15 min walk from the main central station (for trains to Positano, Pompeii etc). And the surrounding area is filthy. There was garbage strewn all over the place, which made it gross to walk to / from the hotel.
- Due to lack of coordination by the hotel staff, we were waiting at the airport for almost 1/2 hour. We had organised a shuttle from the airport as our flight arrived quite late, and although the driver was already waiting, he was given instructions to pick up another couple from the airport. After waiting for over 1/2 hour, we (incl. the driver) decided to leave and go to the hotel, where he was told that they got the dates wrong. The other couple was due to arrive the following night! And what was annoying was that the front desk service man found it all very amusing. Not funny when you're tired, and just want to relax!
- Check-in was slow thanks to the same joker, who didn't know what was happening
- Breakfast was average - they didn't replenish the food, so we were left were stale bread and a couple of cold meats. The waiters weren't helpful; almost rude and they took over 1/2 hour to bring us a simple coffee! My pet peeve - when staff act like they're doing you a favour by serving you!
- no free wifi

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank corash
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for three days. When we arrived, my husband was terribly ill and the hotel gave us access to our room early (10 am) at no extra charge. The rooms were very clean and modern. Internet was provided at a cost though minimal so we didn't really care (7 euro for our entire stay). The location was great, close to all the main things to see in Naples. The city itself is dirty and the M Gallery was most certainly a diamond in the rough. The price was also very fair; we paid about 100 euro a night which was well worth it. Naples pretty much shuts down after dinner so do yourself a favour and book yoursel into this fine hotel so you have a nice place to relax in the later hours.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Picky123456789
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We booked as part of a British Airways weekend break. The hotel greatly exceeded our expectations for the price we paid. It is stylish and relaxed, with the helpfulness and hospitality that we've come to expect from Italians. Our room wasn't particularly large, but was very comfortable with a lovely bathroom.
I should mention the wi-fi - 7€ for the whole stay was a reasonable price for a reliable service.
The buffet breakfast was of good quality, and varied, but I think that's what I'd expect for 12€.
The location is 'characterful', but convenient for the Archaeological Museum and some super places to eat.