“I liked it”

Grand Hotel Vesuvio
Ranked #7 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 23 March 2014

OK its a bit old fashioned. But beds comfortable, rooms quiet, great view and super nice staff. We had expected Naples to be dangerous and to be hassled. We weren't and felt perfectly secure. So many things to see concentrated in a small area. The Vesuvio well placed for historic Naples- you can walk to almost everything.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ellamobile
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Vesuvio

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had tickets for the rugby in Rome however the flights had already hiked in price so we decided to fly to another part of Italy and get the train to Rome.

We settled on Naples due to super cheap booked a few months in advance flights. My other half loves the sea so I looked for Hotels on the bay. He also has food allergies so I emailed a couple to see if they could accommodate them - we settled on the GHV with a room with a sea view and I am so glad we did.

This Hotel could not be more helpful (especially Rita on reception - thank you again Rita !). Its easy to get ripped off by taxis - they explained what we needed to do at the airport. I needed tickets printing for the rugby - happy to help. Room has fab view of the castle (which I had somehow missed from all the reviewing), lovely toiletries and super comfy beds. Naples is not a posh city but the bay is lovely. We had a huge allergy friendly breakfast, a nap with the balcony doors open, then a lovely long walk around the bay, gawping at boats, eating ice cream and enjoying the sun - topped off by a tour of the castle. The restaurant in the Hotel is lovely for dinner and cocktails and again, my partners food allergies were accommodated without fuss.

The Hotel is not cheap and its old school in style which I rather liked for once. Maximum stars are for service with particular reference to food because when it does go wrong, the results can be horrendous.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the sea view and balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Superfatcat
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

We booked a suite with sea view and the room was just average. Nothing special and actually really out dated. The staff were very nice and the location is great.

The breakfeast was decent and like I mentioned the location is excellent and our view from our room was great.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Enjoyed the view each time when walking out of the hotel! The decor is a bit dated but the breakfast buffet is awesome! I can probably spend good numbers of hours to enjoy the great selection of the food, the cappuccino and the fascinating view! The rooftop restaurant is great but costly though.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This hotel was to be the premier hotel of hotels during our entire trip to Italy. We booked to stay one night due to its proximity to Teatro San Carlo and location on the water. Location was undoubtedly good but most everything else was disappointing. Upon arrival we were luxuriously greeted and taken care of, only to be nickle and dimed for things like internet access. Are u serious?!?....we've stayed in much lesser hotels with free wifi and this is a five star?! Only when we were obviously disgruntled did they offer it to us for a "generous" 8 hrs. PLEASE!

So, lets just talk about our gym and pool experiece. First off, what pool experiece?....we never saw it...it was closed on Sunday...huh? The gym you may find if you take the staff elevator by accident (and i wasn't the only one). It was small, stuffy and their wasn't any staff to be found. Needless to say I ditched and went running outside which was delightful.

The room was ok but I really thought I would be wowed. It seemed a bit outdated and I was most surprised at the "do-it-yourself" calking job around the tub. Attention to detail overall seemed to be lacking.

On a lighter note, the inclusive breakfast was expansive with options for everyone. That most definitely was the highlight of this hotel and it's my understanding their restaurant is also very good. I will say we got a pretty good deal because we visited during the off season, but IMO they should not make cuts in quality/service for this deal, at the expense of their guests. Not bad but just an average hotel wearing the big boy 5 stars.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Talley R
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I searched and searched for a hotel on Trip Advisor for a post Christmas visit to Naples and the Amalfi coast. I found Gran Hotel Vesuvio. It is a grand dame from last century in terms of location (on the coast facing Castel Dell'Ouvo).

Check in started out ok but then the room that they provided had a water problem in the bath. The staff tried to reassign us to another room but the other rooms were not as nice and didn't have the space nor the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. We waited in the hall for our room to be repaired and cleaned. We waited for our key. Our check-in front desk staffer never came upstairs to finish the task requiring me to call and request a key. I only mention this because on multiple occasions the front desk said that they would do something (call back with a restaurant reservation) but never did until I called or went downstairs.

The room we finally received was plush, updated and featured a large marble bath (yes with jacuzzi) and a commanding view of the Mediterranean.

The breakfast alone is worth a return visit to Gran Hotel Vesuvio. Any place that serves fresh buffalo mozzarella as well as buffalo ricotta for breakfast each morning is a plus for me. the baked goods are fresh each morning. The fruit was fresh and ripe. There are also fresh juices and an assortment of eggs, another Western breakfast fare. What sets apart this breakfast though is the service. The manager of the breakfast dining room is classy, accommodating, highly receptive to your needs as a guest and works hard alongside very efficient and handsome staff.

The Restaurant Caruso is not to be missed for dinner. Again, the manager and team are highly efficient, accommodating, receptive to your needs and nice to be around. The foods are exquisite and also worth a return to the hotel.

Wifi is at a cost to the visitor.

Would I stay here again for pleasure? Yes of course. Would I stay here for business? Again, yes most certainly.

Room Tip: Be sure to splurge for a water view with balcony!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarcoPro2050
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The Hotel is located in one of the most beautiful scenic view in the Gulf and very well positioned to go sightseeing in the monument area (including spaccanapoli and S. Gregorio Armeno). Delicious breakfast buffet with local "patisserie" like baba' and caprese cake (almond and chocolate).

Rooms are clean, large and very comfortable. We always had very warm welcome.

Room Tip: Some suites are really huge
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family