“Lovely hotel, exceptional staff”

Eurostars Hotel Excelsior
Ranked #16 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel one night and loved our elegant room with parquet floors and balcony overlooking the Bay of Naples. We especially appreciated the quiet atmosphere. Since the street between the hotel and the bay does not allow cars, you can keep the french doors open, lulled by the sound of the lapping water and occasional voices of pedestrians. It was the off-season just before Christmas so there was not a lot of night-time activity at the restaurants on the Borgo Marina--the little island crowded with restaurants that was visible from our room--which may have contributed to the deliciously quiet evening.
Most impressive was the front desk staff: We discovered on the day of our departure that our flight to London was canceled--as were all flights out of Naples because of flooding at Gatwick Airport. When we told the front desk about our problem, the staff instantly and efficiently swung into action, researching flights, and booked us on a flight out of Rome, reached easily by train in under two hours.
The staff also directed us to two excellent restaurants--Fresca, walking distance from the hotel, where we sat outside in the sun looking out on the Bay for a delicious pizza lunch surrounded by well-dressed Italians, and Da Dora for an excellent seafood dinner. The hotel is in a perfect location for exploring Naples as many of the most interesting sights architecturally are walking distance. We also took a day trip to Capri, which we enjoyed, as the hydrofoil leaves from a dock just a 10-minute taxi ride away.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room with a view of the Bay of Naples and a balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 December 2013

In a tumultuous and chaotic city, this is the closest to an oasis of peace. Beautiful structure and interior, and solidly competent staff. The rooms run a bit small (requested a suite but none were available) but the awesome views partially make up for that, and are probably on the dated side, but then the rates are quite reasonable by international standards. The best part was room service-- impeccable every time, with local-flavor dishes rather than international bland fare. I would stay again if in the area (though truthfully Naples is not very high on my list of return destinations).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The hotel was clean and comfortable. The staff was very professional but not friendly. We were there only one night on the way from Amalfi to US. The breakfast was ok. On the whole it was uneventful nothing to remember by.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We have visited Naples on a cruise but this was our first time spending time in this city. We chose the Hotel Excelsior for it's location and we have stopped for a drink on the roof top the previous year. We arrived later in the evening via a train from Florence, the young lady at the front desk warmly welcomed us and escorted us to our 4th floor room overlooking the bay. The room was large and clean and the bathroom was great. We enjoyed breakfast every morning on the garden terrace, the service was top notch and they always brought by something special for us to try. The sparkling wine was always available each morning and great way to start our day exploring Naples. The hotel suggested some good restaurants close by and we cant wait to return to Naples and the Hotel Excelsior.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This was my second time here in 3 years. It's a classy place, as everyone knows. Staff is great. As other mentioned, charging for WIFI is absurd. Equally absurd is paying extra for 2 eggs at breakfast (I refused to pay it). The heating in my room never worked correctly and they were unable to fix it. No fresh OJ at breakfast. Another minor quibble. The mattress on my bed was way past its sell by date. Soft: gave me a backache. There are alternatives and nice ones. The Excelsior needs to fix some of the little things to keep my interest.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I selected this hotel as it was one of the recommended hotels by the conference organisers as it was within walking distance of the conference venue. The hotel itself is beautiful, the staff and service was excellent, however the sleep quality was very poor and for the following reasons: noisy plumbing - I could hear my neighbours plumbing systems very clearly, beautiful wooden floors create noise - I could hear my neighbours move chairs, walk in their shoes around their rooms, radio system came on at 2am - apparently I was unfortunate that I had a room with a broken radio that came on automatically which was discounted one day, then reconnected the following day and went off during the night. After three nights of very poor sleep I was not in a great mood. If I have to return to Naples for future meetings I will not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This is indeed, as previous reviewers have indicated, one of the Grand Dames of luxury hotels in Naples. The architecture mirrors the belle époque hotels of the Cote D'Azur. Grand staircases, high ceilings and ballrooms. the rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable, beds are great as are the bathrooms. The location is not bad considering it is not exactly in a picturesque spot, between the port and the traffic and the noise. Having said that, I would stay here again because of the service, value received and that incredible rooftop bar. I enjoyed a Negroni, watching the sun set over Capri over in the distance and with the castle dell'Ovo down below. I am not a big fan of Naples because of its' squalor and downright dirtiness. Of all the towns I had ever had the pleasure of visiting in Italy, this one is truly dirty. It does have the Museum of Natural history and its' proximity to Pompeii as well as it being close to the historic center. This alone, and the hotel Excelsior would make me want to come back. For everyone who has navigated this difficult and tiring part of the Amalfi/Italian coastline, this hotel makes for a restful and luxurious stay. Sometimes this is all the reason one would need to stay the night and recoup for the rest of the journey. The Excelsior gets my vote for hotel in Napoli. Sorry I did not get to try the food at the restaurant, it was closed during my stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple