“Grand old hotel ruined by the staff, renovations overdue”

Eurostars Hotel Excelsior
Ranked #14 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Summary:
Old, 'grand', formerly luxury collection hotel in a good location for a touristic visit, possible amazing views, dated rooms with flaws and totally unacceptable service attitude of the staff encountered during this stay.

Recommended only for people who can appreciate 'antic rooms & furniture' to a level, that they are willing to accept a dated and nonfunctional room experience in limited space combined with an unprecedented level of bad service.

Location:
Directly at the well known and frequently visited piers of Naples, reminded me of the "Malecon" in Havana Cuba, a good thing. Locals and (possibly more so) tourist alike populate the area. Amazing views from the hotel of the sea, the Castel dell'Ovo, Mount Vesuvius and even the Isle of Capri in the distance. The area around the hotel is densely covered with tourists and restaurants and bars on the more expensive side, though a few good places hide in between worth to find.

How to get there:
Most people I know, arrive either with car or at Naples International Airport (NAP). From the Airport a few different options are available. I would advice for a taxi which brings the guest for a flat rate of around 25 Euros (plus luggage) to the hotel. Flat rates are quite common in most touristic orientated towns in Italy this days. Cheaper options (bus, shuttles) are available to my knowledge. I value the taxi as an affordable and good option in this case, especially if not traveling alone.

Time to visit:
Naples is usually pretty hot in August. It is maybe not the most frequented time of the year. Locals tend to be away if they can afford it. Due to the somewhat lousy weather in other parts of Europe we came to enjoy this years not so hot August (26-31 degrees during day with constant pleasant breeze). That turned out to be a mistake, the town was mostly dead empty, which is due to some vacation time of children and their parents alike. I did not fully understand what kind of holidays that is but it results in around 80-90 percent of all restaurants and shops being closed for at least two weeks in August. This effect was much more so than comparable times in Florence, Rome or other highly touristic towns of Italy. So do your homework or live the consequences! ;)

Rooms:
Rooms are small and dated. Yet, some people might see a certain charm in it, since you traveling to a historic place. Personally I value a clean, quite and comfortable place, that is properly managed pretty high. The Excelsior is none of those.

There is a variety of different rooms available. Most of the regular rooms in the cheaper price bracket (of this hotel, not cheap for the town itself) are in my opinion just good enough to stay the night when you're out the whole day. We did inspect a few different rooms and settled in a corner suite, which was OK but dated in many aspects (bedroom, bath etc.), had wasted space for a walking closet and missing space in the rooms themselves... in general quite a few thing wrong with it. The bigger than usual balcony was rather nice though.

The furniture is very old. You might adore the antic looks. On the other hand you can't do much more than looking at them. Couch and chairs are uncomfortable, desks and everything wooden is covered with a glass layer that makes them cold and pretty much unusable to work on, especially with a notebook - even a black laser mouse does not work.
In general I wish for an investment in a knowledgeable interior designer and someone put down some serious money to bring the place into the 21st century... that should be possible without loosing it's 'Grandeur Charm'... but OK, that is just my opinion. Some people might like the old dates style so much, that they put up with a hotel that did not see any renovations for a very long time.

Sleeping quality:
Overall OK. Bed linen and mattress are mediocre. Noise and light can be kept out, which is good. Unfortunately sleeping with open balcony doors is not advisable due to the noise from outside and surprisingly way to many mosquitoes we encountered. Unpleasant.

Bathrooms:
Old, with questionable functionality in some regards. But the bathrooms we ended up with were OK in overall. The ones we saw before that came with somewhat dreadful showers and other quirks.
Water pressure could be better but is not a real reason to complain.
Towels and bathroom products were the minimum level but of decent quality. You have to ask for things I expect in a five star hotel, shaving cream in my case.

Breakfast:
We had breakfast at the terrace on the 7th floor and enjoyed the views. That is a plus.
Food on the other hand was pretty bad. Coffee is OK but not what you would expect (any small place you find nearby has better quality). Baked goods were the only things that could convince me, the rest was rather bad quality, eggs and warm options made lethal impression. You must be really craving that kind of food to dig into that.
Like common in Italy, water, juice (not fresh) and sparkling wine is presented in a corner for self service. Hot beverages are ordered.
Service at breakfast was a mix of heaven and hell. Could be nice and friendly or very much the opposite, not sure on what factors this is depending. Good luck!

Service in general:
The huge downside of this property is the staff and the mostly horrible service. Starting at check in, the lengthy search for a decent room which was faced with disgust from the front desk manager. The house cleaning took quite some liberties with out clothes and bags touching a frightening level... I do not appreciate that.
Worst though, the overall arrogant behavior of the staff that presented a constant annoyed attitude and often gives you the feeling you should serve them.
I do not appreciate getting the feeling "to bother" the service as a guest, if I call for a power adapter or a cork screw. Unfortunately this and much more we had to encounter in this hotel... and it seems it happened not only to us. If you do not care or get more lucky the quality of the stay in this hotel might be significantly improved from our experience.

Guests of this stay:
Maybe I should add the we carry a very high (lifetime) status with way over hundred nights every year in that particular hotel chain the property is in. Yes, that has an impact on the expectation of a "Luxury Collection Property" but mostly comes with an extensive experience on hotel living over more than a decade and usually not too many negative surprises.
Usually it also results in a at least decent behavior of a hotel staff, since they know to house seasoned guests.
Finally we are not easy to annoy and kinda veterans, even when it comes to questionable service...
....the Excelsior staff was able to elevate themselves into a new negative high on our list, kinda remarkable on it's own. Without that, as mentioned before, the experience might be much better.

Room Tip: - Anything facing the sea come with a scenic vista but avoid low floors due to the noise of the freq...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FoodieOnTourdotcom
There are newer reviews for Eurostars Hotel Excelsior

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Very professional staff and very helpful. Greatly located. Parking was a problem but the staff had a solution in nearby parking. Quiet, clean and comfortable. I would definitely recommend it and revisit it the next time i'm in Napoli.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Roland C
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at the HE for 7 nights and were pleasantly surprised by how much we loved Naples! The hotel is located within walking distance of many great areas, with eating, drinking and shopping and also walking distance to the port for access to hydrofoils to the islands. We were lucky to have a sea view with a lovely little balcony perfect for drinking an evening glass of Prosecco before heading out to dinner. The view was perfect for watching people, and for watching the cruise ships pull in and out of port or just gazing at the bay of Naples.
The room itself was nicely decorated with high ceilings. The a/c worked very well which was a welcome relief after days spent walking in the sun. The bathroom was spacious enough with HE branded amenities. The biggest problem however was the lack of a shower door or curtain. The water from the shower splashed all over the marble tub and floor making it treacherous to get in and out. We ended up placing a bath towel on the floor as a safety precaution. It would be impossible for anyone either elderly or lacking mobility to shower safely.
Housekeeping services were top notch. We came and went at many different times of day and never once came home to a dirty room.
Breakfast on the rooftop terrace was lovely. We enjoyed the numerous Italian pastries, fresh mozzarella, fruits and breads. We also enjoyed mimosas and fresh cappuccino every day. The service was adequate although we wanted a second cup of coffee on many mornings and gave up trying. One thing to mention is that breakfast was included for us as a part of our SPG Platinum status and had we paid the nearly 40 Euro price we might not have been as satisfied.
The front desk staff was friendly and made dinner reservations for us on a few occasions. I would agree with other reviewers when they say the door men watched them carry their bags up the stairs. Many times I opened my own door with a door man standing just inside it. This is a hotel pet peeve of mine but this property was so great otherwise I couldn't let it bother me.
Wi-Fi was also included free of charge with our Platinum status. When it worked it was fine but it seemed to go in and out and if I was doing anything other than Facebooking it would have been difficult to deal with. :)
We ended many a night with a glass of Strega on the rooftop and found the view, the drinks and the bartender to be spectacular. Try a Brandy Alexander, you won't be disappointed!
It was a wonderful stay at the Hotel Excelsior. We enjoyed our balcony, the rooftop breakfast and bar, the excellent housekeeping services, the friendly front desk, the beautiful view and location. Naples in our opinion is a hugely underrated city and we can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sksaledtan
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at the Excelsior twice. The first room was overlooking the bay of Naples with a small covered terrace, firnishings reflected an early 20th century Italian charm. By contrast the roof restaurant is a modern comfortable hang-out with exceptional views, non better I'm sure, in Naples. Sweeping vistas of the bay, Vesuvius, and in the distant, a hazy Capri as a dot on the horizon. Vetry near to good shopping and sightseeing, but ask the concierge for directions if this is your first visit. Their are nt so good areas very near to the hotel.
it is situated on the harbor front and just a few shor strps from a charming enclave of small restaurants and bars crammed around a quaint little fishing harbor beneath the Castle that is a bustling delight to sit and watch while sipping a negroni.
The second visit i was put in the 'annex', a side room overlooking a side street and residential buildings too near for comfort. No view, no charm .. it could have been almost anywhere.. I didn't ask to change my room as i was with a party of American journalists, just there for 2 days, but if you are placed in the 'annex', and you are not satisfied, there is no harm im asking to see other rooms on the front.. if available.
The TripAdvisor option for When Did You Stay only covers the past year. I stayed here in 1997 and 2000.

Room Tip: ask to see rooms on the upper level overlooking the bay of Naples.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank gpstalent
Reviewed 1 August 2014

One of the nicer looking properties online, it's one disappointment after another once you arrive.

Your stay starts off with being greeted by 1-2 doormen, who stand and watch you unload from a taxi, and then open the door for you while they watch you struggle to carry your bags up the front outside steps, and then the inner steps. No offer for help, no ramp, no elevator.

My first night was in a Superior Ocean Front room. Great overall size, and the view from the balcony on the 4th floor was amazing. Vesuvius to the right, Capri across the bay...seemed like a great start. With the nightly turndown service, they close off the windows/balcony doors with what looks like an industrial metal storm door that rolls down from the top. My room was clean and tidy, nicely decorated however my two friends had stained sheets/pillow cases and had to request the room to be turned over again at check-in. The sheets are pretty rough, it's def. not nice Italian linen as you'd expect (and find at any other hotel). Mattresses are old and well worn, do not expect a nice and relaxing night of sleep!

The first problem came with the wifi. It's non-existent unless you're sitting in the lobby. Although I'm not a business traveler, I do need to log-in to check emails, and I depend on a wifi connection instead of using my international data plan to check restaurant reviews and make daily travel plans. I was on the 4th floor, a friend was on the 1st floor, and our third friend was on the opposite side of the 4th floor. We also checked signal strength at the 7th floor breakfast area.

The front desk also doubles as the concierge desk. There's only 1 person working the counter, meaning if there's multiple people checking in, it'll take some time. Forget about getting help with local tourism, reservations, or just general questions answered, it feels more like checking into a bed and breakfast.

The AC system in my room did not work, so the front desk sent a bellman to my room to try and fix it. At 1:45am I was told there was no one from maintenance available and we'd have to wait till the morning...keep in mind this is the middle of summer and the temp and humidity made it nearly unbearable. We had to keep our windows open, which meant a ton of noise from the street below all night, and still a humid room and we got a horrible nights sleep. I understand things go wrong and break, but they did nothing to handle it in a timely manner, and nothing at all to make it up to us.

Don't ruin your vacation time in Naples here, stay at another property.

Room Tip: if you don't have an ocean view room, you're going to be listening to the noisy street below...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Ron H
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Magnificent position looking towards Vesuvius, really beautiful roof terrace. Good comfortable rooms. Great feeling of space and lightness in the hotel. This is a good value hotel, and an excellent base from which to discover this beautiful and fascinating city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Baronius
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a junior suite with a great view of the port. Staff at the front desk was helpful and the bathroom, bed and hospitality were very good. Would recommend this location too for great views and proximity to the main square, restaurants and shopping all in 10mins walk

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple