“So-so”

US$27.57*
Naples City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Ranked #38 of 820 things to do in Naples
More attraction details
Owner description: This 18th-century museum houses magnificent collections from such renowned artists as Masaccio, Titian, Raphael, El Greco and Bruegel, including the immense Farnese collection.
Reviewed 6 November 2013

After our leisurely lunch we visited the Capodimonte museum. I was expecting to see ceramics but instead we saw paintings lining the walls of the lovely and ginormous museum. We kept setting off the alarms, even our guide set them off, and the place was so large I wished I had a Segway to maneuver the great hall after hall. I realized we were all exhausted from traveling and touring 4 days in a row, and all I could think about was the sea day that I so badly needed! We all wanted to get back to the ship early, desperate for sleep and a hot shower. I rarely poop out while traveling, thankfully we didn't have far to go.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,881)

Reviewed 29 October 2013

If one likes Caravaggio, one should visit this museum - one of the best works of this painter (the Flagellation) is on show here. Ans some other highlights of art history too.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

This Royal Palace isn't the easiest to find by public transport, but repays the effort with a great selection of rennaisance art in a fine setting. As you progress you find a number of rooms where the orginal decorations and furniture have been restored. There is a tiny selection of (rather poor) contemporary art in the attic.
Separate from the main musuem, and easily missed, is a smaller one, 'Oro' , with restored rooms where the royal family actually lived and a rather random selection of their own mainly19th century art.
The views from the main building over Naples are lovely and the palace is surrounded by a well used public park.
Entrance is free for EU citizens over 65 yrs (as it is in many Italian state musuems). We used our EU Health Insurence cards as evidence of age & citizenship: it was always accepted.

1  Thank Jeffrey F
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Lovely building in a great parkland setting above the city. However, the guide book I had (Thomas Cook) talked about stuff by Rembrandt, Raphael, Titian, Renoir, El Greco and others. Now I'm in no way an art connoisseur, but I can read labels alongside paintings, and couldn't find any of these. Maybe suffering rather too much from the previous night's intake of red wine? Who knows. Just left a bit disappointed.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Visited this wonderful museum back in late August. It was a great walk. We were staying at the Holiday Inn over by the train station where we stayed for 3days. Took the train to downtown Naples and walked to the museum. It started to rain and we had our umbrellas with us. It was fun!!! We enjoyed all of the fantastic works of art, and since it was raining it was perfect!!! While we were there it was almost empty for a Sunday morning. It seemed we had the place to ourselves. We wandered into all of the exhibits, and finally after 3 hrs. We left. Since I am a art history buff I really enjoyed the museum.