“Great Location, Old Hotel..”

Royal Continental Hotel
Ranked #43 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Istanbul, Turkey
“Great Location, Old Hotel..”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Very good location but old hotel, needs urgent renovation. Hotel is located in the best part of the city, walking distance to city center and many attractions. The front way is closed to traffic (I guess during the summer only) which makes it lovely at night. Crowd, of especially young people, enjoying the sea and music from seafront bars all night long. Very nice and variety of restaurants nearby.
I had a superior room which was facing the sea and the castle on sea. It was great to wake up to that view and watch the people from balcony all day long. The furniture and the carpets were very old, I guess not changed since my grandmom visited this hotel while she was at 20's. Something very funny and unbelievable happened; while I was naked and resting in my room, a hotel staff suddeny bumped into my room saying that he needs to refill minibar, as I was listening to music and didn't hear any door bell or door opening, I was fully shocked to suddenly see a huge man standing in the middle of the room. They do room cleaning and bar refill separately and be ready to receive someone in the room without any prior notice. Not to forget, there was no 'do not disturb' card to hang on the door and of course no electonic gadget to serve for that.
Final notes: breakfast variety was very poor and below my expectation, also daily garage cost of 23€ was a bit high, would expect at most 15€

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This was my 2nd time to Naples. The first time I stayed closer to the train station which made the experience more interesting, although the hotel was excellent. The Royal Continental is in a much, MUCH, nicer location, but the actual hotel could use some updating. My room was on the 1st floor of rooms, and I had a view of the bay of Naples. Very nice. The room though had a little plaque stating that the room was the original from 1950's (I believe). It was nice, but older. Everything worked. It just seemed "aged". The staff was ok. The breakfast was typical. Although I could not get coffee to save my life. I had to keep asking, and no one seemed overly pleased to want to be of assistance for breakfast.

Getting to the hotel proved to be a challenge, as the streets of Naples are a maze (as are most Italian city streets I believe). For the first 3 days I had my route planned, on the last day there were police blocking the road I usually took. The police gave me directions in Italian to get back to the hotel, which I understood not a single word since I only know Italian words for food. After getting lost and ending right back at the police block, they were kind enough to give me a police escort through town. Now that was cool! Two motorcycle police escorted me right to the hotel. First class all the way.

Anyway, I would stay at this hotel again. The view was nice, the room ok, breakfast ok, the location was awesome. My colleague had a room with a view of the alley, so his experience was slightly different. I wouldn't have cared either way.

Room Tip: Get a map if you plan on driving to the hotel, or better yet a GPS.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This is a nice hotel in a perfect location but very old decoration. Carpets was terrible and the tiles in the bathroom was really old fashion. I believe that the interior decoration needs a refresh in order to comply customer expectations.
Staff was polite and kitchen was in high standards.

• Stayed July 2012
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in June. Very efficient reception staff, clean good sized room, plenty of wardrobe space, decent bathroom. Location was perfectly safe and could venture out at night alone as there were many perfectly adequate, and some very good, restaurants close by, however was a little distance from the centre and I would not have walked back from there at night. It was about a 20 minute walk to the port and in fact I took the hydrofoil to Sorrento from there for my seven night stay.

The breakfast was not that great and I struggled to find something to eat. However, the bar was quite another matter - drinks expertly mixed by Antonio, served with croquettes containing melting mozzarella and rice balls to name two. The bar prices are expensive, but no more so than, say, a London 4 star hotel and Antonio is a very professional barman with a good sense of humour.

Good view across to the Castel dell'Ovo - well worth a visit and also sat and had a beer on the marina side of the American Bar near the castle.

Swimming pool ok for cooling off but not for serious swimmers, but lucky to find one of the few with a pool at all in Naples.

I adored Naples - a contrast of madness (scooters and cars) and great beauty - once I learned how to cross the road the Italian way.

Room Tip: Pay extra for sea view if you are going to spend time in your room - I didn't so was not bothere...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SusannaSorrento
Vrsac, Serbia
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I was in this hotel alone. I use a deluxe room for one person. It is very clean and tidy. But I am not satisfied with the staff :(. Once, staff came into the room to check if anyone else in the room with me?! So they called me the next day on the phone to tell me not one that keeps me in the room. But nobody ever I was a guest at the hotel.
unkindness!!!
I came upon reservation at reception and they told me that they have no available rooms because I was alone, but after five minutes reserved through the site and there was availability.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Milana R
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This is a five star hotel.
Upside – located across the street from the water and a Castle. Very scenic and inviting. Many restaurants on the waterfront and in the street. Street is closed off to vehicles, aside from delivery vans etc, which allows for jogging, skateboarding and biking along the street and waterfront. Breakfast included American bacon and all the amentities.
Downside – it’s expensive, but worth it.
Recommend for location, friendliness and facility. Accommodation worthy of value.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Edward L
taipei
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Unfortunately we only stayed one night in Naples, but this hotel was so well-located that we were able to make the best of our minimal stay there. On checking in, (early I might add, around 11:30 pm) the receptionist gave us all rooms with balconies. I actually didn't venture out on to the balcony, which was small, but I did open the window all the way and pull my chair up to it to enjoy the harbor view. We went out to dinner in a nearby restaurant: the walk was perfectly safe especially since the hotel is located in a guarded pedestrian zone. We even had a chat with the villagers hanging around in the area in front of the local church.
My colleagues unfortunately had their rooms on the opposite side of the hotel, next to a music festival which kept them up until 1 am. I myself slept peacefully, woke up early, watched the fishing boats float around the harbor...and then I took an early morning walk up the neighboring hill to visit the historical part of the city. The residents were very friendly if you approached them. I came back in time to have a large breakfast buffet with my friends. Capuccino is served upon request, and there was a large selection of fruits, pastries, cold cuts and cheeses. Because we had a train to catch in the early afternoon and a scheduled visit to the nearby Palazzo Reale in the morning, we checked out of our rooms after breakfast. The hotel provided ample luggage storage and safety deposit boxes behind the counter. The only regret was that there was no free WiFi.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business