“Good service and location, rooms a little tired”

Royal Continental Hotel
Ranked #44 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Toledo, Ohio
“Good service and location, rooms a little tired”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights while on a business trip in Naples. Overall I had a good experience. My only issue with this hotel is that the rooms are a little tired looking and could do with updating. Otherwise the hotel was very good. The hotel has a great location right on the waterfront with a number of nice restaurants nearby. You are about a 25 minute walk from the heart of the city where all the main shopping, restaurants, bars etc. are. The location on the waterfront actually gives it a pleasantly peaceful location. I found the hotel staff, from the front desk staff to the bar staff, to be quite attentive. Overall, I enjoyed my stay here and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This is a classic hotel with good service, nice rooms and an excellent location. I was there recently on business and I enjoyed my stay. The staff were excellent and the views from the dining room in particular were lovely.

The hotel has an older atmosphere that might not be ideal for some guests and the wifi is a little slow for work purposes, but they're only two small observations. The service is very good, everything's extremely clean and well-presented and it's right in the centre of one of the city's most desirable locations.

Room Tip: There's a big difference between the rooms with a view and those without. You're right on th...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Colliob
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

We arrived in Naples on a very wet gloomy Saturday so our first opinion of the city and the hotel was slightly clouded (excuse the pun) by our grey mood, having made so many plans to go here their and everywhere and expecting to do this under some blue sky's with some sun on our backs. The reception staff quickly checked us in and we went up to our sea view room, this is where our mood suddenly lifted into a cheerful smile. The room was amazing! A huge spacious room and when we pulled the curtains back it revealed the most wonderful view of the castle and marina and to our left, although shrouded in cloud was Mount Vesuvius WOW! We chose the hotel for it's location and it didn't disappoint, the room throughout our stay was serviced to a very high standard, breakfast is taken in the restaurant which overlooks the bay and the castle, an array of cereals, eggs,bacon, sausages freshly baked pastries and cakes, fresh fruit salads, yoghurts, juices, teas and coffee all beautifully presented and replenished by staff who are friendly and helpful. Their is a fitness centre if you enjoy a workout and from May the rooftop pool opens. The bonus to all this,was that after unpacking the rain stopped and the sun did its best to come through, the next day glorious sun and temperatures of 23 degrees. This enabled us to get out and about further a field and see more of Naples which is a huge, huge city. I think it would be disrespectful of anyone to " dis" somebody else's city, Naples is not the prettiest of cities, like most big city's it has its flaws, but you can always find some beauty somewhere within it. Hugely populated, the people are warm and very friendly, it is steeped in history and the best way to appreciate it is to get out and about and walk, yes, like most cities their are areas you shouldn't go into after dark, that is just common sense anywhere, but by walking you will find some hidden treasures and wonderful eating places. On the Sunday we walked over to the railway station and took a train to Sorrento, this is well worth a visit, it's less hustle and bustle than Naples and we enjoyed a beautiful meal at the restaurant La Basillica it will take you roughly and hour by train to get their. Another must do trip is a day in Pompeii with its ancient history and artefacts which had been destroyed and buried under a mountain of ash and pumice from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, well worth a visit and again easy to get to by train, it is roughly half way to Sorrento. We had a wonderful holiday and enjoyed it very much, so thank you to everyone at the Royal Continental hotel and to the wonderful city of Naples for your hospitality and allowing us our very own la dolce vita - grazie !

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judith C
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Manager at Royal Continental Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Dear Judith,

It’s a truly rewarding when a guest recognized our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say “Thank you”!

Your comment will be shared with our staff as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Royal Continental a leader in excellence.

I’m so glad to read your positive opinion about Naples, I hope this could help other Guests to visit us.

I wish you will return for another memorable stay.

Royal Group Hotel & Resorts
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My 2 grown up daughters&I shared a triple room,we found it very comfortable.our goal was to escape the cold and dreadful weather back home and we succeeded .we did not need to use the heating so left it off and were very comfortable.the hotel was indeed tired but we have stayed in many tired hotels and this one proved to be clean and we believed good value for the price we paid.we were expecting a poor breakfast due to previous posts but was very pleasantly surprised by the variety .the location is 1st class and the sea view ordered did not disappoint.For us the staff were one of the highlights of the trip,they were friendly and helpful.I have to say we had no problems with the Internet and the girls had all the usual devices.we would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Book a room with a sea view,the view over the bay is great
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Avoid because of the

1. Tired decor in reception and the rooms. If you want to re-live the 70s this place rocks!

2. Smelly drains

3. Do NOT even contemplate having a bath as the water was yellow and left a black sediment when drained

4. Noisy (air) heating system. It woke me up a number of times when it came on and I am not a light sleeper

5. A number of other issues which proved very annoying!

I do feel sorry for the staff that have to work here as management have much to answer for!

The only plus? Amazing location with a great view of the water and the castle ... this doesn't make up for the rest! AVOID!

Room Tip: Try one of the other hotels nearby
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pieds_dans_L_eau
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Manager at Royal Continental Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Guest,

we would like to thank you for choosing Royal Continental during your last stay to Naples.

Referring to your review I inform you that the hotel was totally renovated in 2006 and working maintenance are planning every year.

We regret to read about your experience and I’m forward your comment to the Technical Department in order to check about the heating system but it’s quit hard if you don’t send me your room number.

Anyway our staff is always at guest’s disposal to change room.

I hope you will give us another opportunity with a return visit.

New Jersey
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I suggest if you choose to book there to request a room with a decent view, either of the ocean or courtyard pool area. I stayed one night having done business just outside of Naples during the day. The desk clerk asked me if I wanted a complimentary room upgrade which of course I said yes. I opened the drapes and the view was of a tight concrete stairwell, absolutely unacceptable. If I had been there for more than a night I would have asked for a room change. I will not return though. The hotel was relatively empty and to put me in this room across from an elevator was a snub, especially when I had indicated I am a light sleeper and want a room away from elevators and machines that cause noise. Plus, you could not turn the heat down or off, the room was sweltering hot. The nicest thing about the room was the bathroom.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with a decent view
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank EleutheraRainboInn
Dear Guest,

thank you for choosing the Royal Continental during your last visit to Naples.

We regret to read about your feelings, but please note that our standard rooms are not seaview, they can be lateral or internal view and this means that the cost is lower than seaview rooms.

I hope you will give us another opportunity with a return visit.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Stayed here with my wife for 6 days over Easter. The hotel is on the sea front in a quiet area, with spectacular views across Naples and the bay to Vesuvius and Capri. The Castell dell'Ovo is immediately by the hotel, and part of the visual experience. Staff were welcoming and friendly, and our room was fine. Breakfast was included in the room rate and the menu designed to cater for all tastes. The town centre of Naples and the main port area are about 15-20 minutes walk away. The nearest Metro stations are Piazza Amadeo or Piazza Toledo. Both about 20 minutes' walk away. Don't try doing this with luggage! Bus services come closer, notably to the Piazza Vittoria, but you have to be well informed to use these. The Naples transport authorities could do a lot more to make the city's transport system intelligible to visitors. The City trams and trolley-buses didn't appear on any map I could find on the internet! Plenty of nice restaurants near the hotel, and on a typical evening the Via Partenope was heavily policed. Not sure what they were expecting, but in any event this is quite a safe place to stay and at no time did we feel threatened. Taxi to the main train station Napoli Centrale was 13 Euro, and is perhaps the best way to get to the hotel. Agree the price before you accept the ride! One niggle about the hotel itself: we were in room 344, and the neighbouring 343 seems to be used to accommodate large family groups with children. They were noisy late at night on one occasion we had to ask reception to go in and sort them out. Which they did,

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. Ask to be kept away from noisy neighbours ("family rooms").
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank for taking the time to share such glowing feedback of your recent stay at Royal Continental during your stay in Naples.

I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time at the hotel and the surrounding area.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Continental in the near future

Regards,