“Beautiful View, Great Location, Nice Hotel”

Royal Continental Hotel
Ranked #44 of 186 Hotels in Naples
DC
“Beautiful View, Great Location, Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed three nights with family of four in two room suite on 5th floor. We drove to Naples from Rome and parked hassle free in the hotel garage, using the car only for a day trip to Amalfi coast (if you enjoy driving, this is a great experience). The hotel is located on the waterfront and is walking distance to the ferry terminal, the Piazza del Plebiscito and major landmarks. A nearby taxi stand, ATM and small grocery stores further make this a convenient location. While full frontal view of Vesuvius not quite there from the front balconies (can certainly see the slope), the facing Castel del Ovo, fishing boats, marina and views of Capri and Ischia are not too shabby. The entire area is full of excellent restaurants and cafes and at night the waterfront promenade in front of the hotel becomes a vibrant mix of tourists and locals enjoying late dinners and the beautiful evenings.

The staff were friendly and attentive enough, though this is a fairly large hotel and people were often waiting at the front desk. The wifi passwords change daily and the air conditioning struggled to keep up with the August heat, though the room temps were generally not uncomfortable. As we don't bed early, the street noise did not bother us, but it could certainly be heard until well after midnight. The rooms and balconies were generally clean, if a little worn by age. Breakfast was decent, but not extravagant and the view of the waterfront from the restaurant was quite pleasant. We didn't use the rooftop pool, but it looked nice.

Room Tip: Can't imagine why anyone would stay here without an ocean front room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Department at Royal Continental Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you very much for sharing with us your feedback concerning your experience at the Royal Continental Hotel in Naples.

I am very glad to learn that you have fully enjoyed your stay with us. Please be sure that your compliments will be forwarded to the entire staff!

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you for your next visit to Naples.

Royal Group hotels & resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Very nice, very friendly and the only place I would stay in Naples. My wife and I stayed 1 night before flying back to Scotland. I would recommend you do not drive but use the Alibus or the local taxi service but Always agree a cost. No more than 14 euros from central train station to the port or 40 euros to the airport in Naples

• Stayed August 2013
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Department at Royal Continental Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Mr. Ian,

I thank you very much for sharing your comment regarding your experience at the Royal Continental hotel in Naples.

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and I am honored that you would consider the Royal Continental hotel as your unique address for any future visit to Naples.

Yours, Sincerely,

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for just one night: we needed a central location in order to make the best out of the available time we had, and we definitely could. All the most famous points of interest are walkable, for instance a ten-minute-walk will take you to Piazza del Plebiscito, which is great.

We found the staff courteous and professional. Everyone speaks perfect English (I'm Italian, but my husband prefers to communicate in English and he had no issues whatsoever with the staff, which is not the norm, in some parts of Italy).

I found the breakfast buffet pretty good, offering both international and local specialities (such as lovely mini sfogliatelle, the traditional pastries). You will be served hot drinks at the table. Rosa was lovely and made sure we got everything we needed. The view on Castel dell'Ovo is simply breathtaking!

The only slightly negative thing I would like to point out is that the rooms are very dated and could do with some restyling. The bathroom looked so old and boring! The bed was fairly comfortable.

All in all, a good stay and I can surely recommend this hotel for a brief city break.

Room Tip: If you do not wish to pay the extra price to get a sea view room, try to get one of the rooms on the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I thank you very much for sharing with us your feedback concerning your experience at the Royal Continental in Naples.

I am very glad to learn that you have fully enjoyed your stay with us. Your compliments are our best rewards!

Concerning your appreciations on the buffet breakfast, I would like to take the opportunity to inform you that all our pastries are daily hand made by our pastry chef!

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you for your next visit in Naples.

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed at the Royal Continental with my boyfriend for 5 days, after a busy 5 days in Rome. We received a warm welcome from the lobby staff and were delighted with the room we were allocated due to the fantastic sea views and lovely spacious room. The room had a decent sized bed with sky tv and a great bathroom with bath and shower as well as lots of space.
With regard to food, the breakfast was faultless as there was a choice of bacon and eggs etc but also a fabulous selection of traditional Neapolitan cakes and pastries which had me looking forward to breakfast each morning. Beautiful views from the restaurant, therefore in a morning one could enjoy ones breakfast and enjoy the sea views as well as planning the day ahead.
The rooftop pool was perfect and never too busy.

All in all, this hotel is fantastic! Faultless and nothing was too much trouble. Amazing setting, 10 out of 10.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view made the stay even more spectacular
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Department at Royal Continental Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sharing your feedback and pictures on TripAdvisor regarding your experience at the Royal Continental Hotel in Naples.

I am very glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our hotel met your expectations in terms of quality and services. By the way, I wish to take the opportunity to inform you that all our pastries served at the breakfast area are freshly made by our pastry chef.

Gibraltar
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Driving to the hotel was a slight nightmare as if you make a wrong turn out of the one way system you end up having to reroute all the way around back to find the flow of traffic!!

The hotel itself - very good but nothing fantastic. Good sized rooms but best rooms are sea facing for an extra 30€ per night.

Use of the garage is also at a rate of 28€ per day which is not mentioned on any booking information!

I would have liked tea/coffee making equipment in the room.

Apparently there was a spa but no-one mentioned this to us during our stay and there was nothing advertising their treatments.

Concierge were very helpful with any request and helped us with directions to the shopping centres.

Breakfast was a decent spread to cater for everyone's tastes.

Both the poolside and foyer bar stewards were fantastic, especially the evening bar stewards who were not only attentive to our needs but were very sociable and amiable with us.

The hotel itself is situated on a promenade with several restaurants on either side of it. So there is plenty of choice as to where to dine throughout your stay.

The hotel is also a 15min walk from the Via Toledo (shopping) and from the ferry terminal which can take you to Sorrento, Salerno, Capri, Ischia...

A pleasant stay at a very good hotel to use as a base to travel around the tourist sites of Pompeii, Herculaneum, etc. or to get your med cruise from but not a luxury hotel to be your holiday oasis.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Rob L
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Department at Royal Continental Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Mr. Rob,

I thank you for sharing with us your feedback regarding your experience at the Royal Continental hotel in Naples.

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel, the location with the beautiful view on the bay of Naples and our roof pool with panoramic view.

The location of the hotel is very convenient for all daytrips to visit the sites and islands around Naples.

I also wish to thank you for your nice comments concerning the service and our staff. Your compliments are our best rewards!

I look forward to welcoming you back again for your next visits in Naples.

Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice now. One of the few hotels that you can get adjoining rooms.

Cons

Hotel is nice in the lobby but a bit dated in the rooms. The decor is not lavish like some of its very high priced neighbors, so if you are looking for a very luxurious feel this may not be a good fit for you.

The street in front of the hotel has been closed to auto traffic which leads to a very nice carnival atmosphere. Unfortunately this persists into the early AM hours with street performs playing music (or in our case banging a drum) making sleep impossible if not on the high floors. We were on the second floor and weren't able to get to sleep till about 2 every night.

The same street closure makes getting to the Hotel challenging by private auto. In reality the uninitiated should probably not consider driving in Naples anyway. But if you do choose to drive, be prepared to combat a tangled warren of congested streets to get to the hotel.

The Pros:

Reasonably priced

Underground self parking garage (very tight fit, but the attendants were extraordinarily nice and my car was completely unscathed.)

Very nice view of Castel Ovo. Naples is a city with a great view from just about every corner so there are no shortage of hotels with great views....but this really does have a great view.

Walking distance to hundreds of good/great places to eat

Roof top pool to cool off after a day in the hot Southern Italian sun. (pool is small, but nicely kept with a very nice attendent who also will serve you drinks)

Breakfast is good as long as you only eat things that a Neapolitan would eat for breakfast.

The OVER THE TOP PRO !

The service and staff at this hotel in my experience has always been great. Very helpful, very nice, very accommodating. I would like to share a story from my most recent visit that I feel went far and away above the call of duty. My daughter's 14th birthday fell in the middle of our stay in Naples. We were going to have a birthday dinner at a restaurant in Capri but, while in Capri, it became clear that if we did this we were at risk for missing the last hydrofoil back to Naples. While still in Capri, we called the Hotel, explained the situation, and asked if there were any way they could arrange for a small birthday cake so we could celebrate her birthday in Naples. The front desk staff made multiple calls and were able to secure a cake. As if this wasn't enough. When we returned to our room the manager had sent my daughter a happy birthday bouquet of flowers.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sharing your feedback and pictures on TripAdvisor concerning your experience at the Royal Continental Hotel in Naples.

I really apologies for the noise which disturb you by night during your stay with us even if the atmosphere became more quiet since the street front of the hotel was closed. The traffic was very loud for all people staying in the different hotels of the area.

However, I was happy to read your comment concerning your general opinion of the hotel and the service you received during your stay. It is a pleasure to achieve our guest’s satisfaction.

I was also very glad to learn that the entire staff well managed to help you to make the birthday of your daughter unforgettable!

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

The pillows are terrible, we were skeptical about previous reviews but now, after we tried it we can say its is worst thing about hotel. The sea view rooms are nice, but the price is little higher than it should, the hotel itself is a bit old... Service is ok, nothing negative

• Stayed July 2013
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Department at Royal Continental Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your experience at the Royal Continental Hotel in Naples.

I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and the service given by our staff.

However, I was sorry to learn that we did not reach your expectations in terms of quality. Be sure that your comments were forwarded to the concerned departments.

Looking forward to welcome you again soon.