“lovely, peaceful location”

Ranked #44 of 186 Hotels in Naples
cheshire england
“lovely, peaceful location”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel at the beginning of October. My husband was on a business trip and I took the opportunity to do some sightseeing in Naples. It is in a very good location on the waterfront. We had a sea view and looked out over the castle and a small harbour. The road is very quiet as only taxis and the odd coach are allowed to go along there. There are two parts to the hotel - the part where the reception is and, through a glass corridor, a second section which seems to be used for conferences and the associated guests. We were staying in that part. The room was large with a desk, arm chairs, mini bar tv etc - all the things you would expect and a decent bathroom. The balcony was small, but big enough for two chairs. All in all, nothing out of the ordinary but perfectly adequate, comfortable and clean. I only ate breakfast in the hotel; it consisted of fresh fruit, cold meats, yogurts and an assortment of Italian sweet cakes. It was plentiful, though I suspect if I had stayed longer I may have become bored with the same selection on a daily basis. The pool closed for winter whilst we were there and even on the days it was open the weather wasn't conducive to sunbathing or swimming, so I cannot comment on it. The reception staff were efficient at check in/out but I cannot say it was service with a smile. I enquired about the hop on hop off sightseeing bus and after a shrug was told where I could buy a ticket for the local bus. I explained that it wasn't what I was after and was met with a blank stare. I gave up and walked to the port where I picked up the bus without a problem Also, I overheard someone enquire about a doctor and what it was likely to cost to call one out and he was simply told 'don't know' with no offer of help or display of concern. In short, don't expect overly helpful service! There are some areas with large sofas for relaxing and a small bar.There are lots of good restaurants both around the harbour and along the road - a pleasant stroll along by the sea wall and lovely to see the lights of the bay twinkling in the distance.
So, the hotel is in a good location, provides a decent breakfast, is clean, large and the rooms are perfectly good. It is not startlingly good nor does it have anything to especially recommend it, but, if you want a perfectly good hotel in a good location with a wide variety of restaurants within easy reach, then it could be the place for you.
A few points about Naples; the hop on hop off bus gives a good overview. It's worth jumping off at the catacombs as it is a fascinating tour but...... check tour times or, like me you could end up hanging around a while before it starts and after it ends. There is nothing else to do in the area so you just waste time. The Archaeological Museum is not terribly well organised and they seem to close rooms at random times but it's worth seeing for all the things from Pompeii and Herculaneum. I felt perfectly safe walking around Naples on my own, despite initial fears having read that it could be very dodgy! Use common sense and don't go down empty narrow side streets alone and keep bags firmly gripped and closed. The scooters should be your biggest fear....they appear from nowhere in places you wouldn't expect and don't slow down for anything or anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank sugarpine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Before our trip to Naples, I struggled to find any information on hotels location. Fortunately I chose well. This is ideal being on the sea front on a restricted access road (ie pedestrianised), with excellent choice of restaurants either opposite around Castel dell Ovo (La Scialuppa being our favourite), or turn right out of the hotel and any number within 200 metres along Via Partenope. It is also within walking distance of the centre of the city and the hydrofoil port. I've seen mixed reviews for this hotel but I have to say we had no problems. It is a conference hotel, yes the bathroom decor is a little dated, but I would definitely stay again. The buffet breakfast was excellent. I did struggle to get the wifi connected but got there in the end although, it seemed the 'free wifi' was only for 24 hours, as mentioned in another review. To be fair I did not check that point with reception.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mikeshona1
Rostov-on-Don, Russia
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I wish that the swimming-pool was larger. Th erooms were clean and very cosy. There are a lot of beautiful places to have a rest.A lot of interesting conferences are held in the hotel.We liked it very much both for location - almost all sightsees were near and for quietness inside. And, of, course- the sea cost.

Room Tip: Better to choose rooms with part sea-view and after 5th floor
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Department at Royal Continental Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you for choosing the Royal Continental hotel during your stay in Naples and for taking time to share your review on TripAdvisor.

I am very glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. As you said, the position of the hotel, front of the sea with the marvelous view of Capri on the background is ideal for who would visit Naples, staying in the center of the town and have the possibility to enjoy our roof pool with panoramic view.

I wish to have the pleasure to welcoming back soon.

Best regards,

Alexandre
Royal Group hotels & resorts
Paris, France
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have very mixed feelings about this hotel. We just returned from 4 days in Naples to meet with a group of friends so the hotel had been selected for all of us by the organizer. The location is beautiful and if you select a room with a water view you will see the Castel Dell'Ovo along with boats and the harbor which you can enjoy from your private balcony. The hotel has a buffet style breakfast that is open from 7-10:30 which serves hot and cold items and great cappuccino. However, one thing that you will notice is that there are 2 Royal Continental Hotels right next to each other and if you are booked in the older building be prepared to see cracks on the walls, tired and dated furniture along with carpeting that has seen better days. I asked the front desk to please move us to the newer building and it was a definite improvement--parquet floors and newer everything else. We were comfortable during the remainder of our stay but if we hadn't changed rooms I would have been very uncomfortable. A last point that I want to mention is that on the hotel's web site it states that bus 151 stops in front of the hotel-- this is not the case, so if you are planning on using public transportation the stop at Piazza Vittoria is a 5 minute walk.

Room Tip: Water view as they all have private balconies.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sara B
Dear Mrs. Sara,

I really thank you to take time to share with all of us your review concerning your last stay in Naples.

The position and the view from our roof pool and sea side rooms are effectively a good reason to choose the Royal Continental hotel for a stay in Naples.
If you decide to come back during the winter season you will be surprised about the stunning sunset viewed from your balcony!

However, I apologies if your first impressions were not so positive regarding the room and I am happy to read that our staff had the possibility to move you in another one that met your expectations.

Finally, I have checked on our website and you’re right! Our marketing department will shortly modify this information.

I look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Yours, Sincerely,

Alexandre Lebrat
Royal Group hotels & resorts
san francisco
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Used to staying at the Hotel Excelsior but unable to on this trip due to almost zero vacancy, I booked a room at the Royal Continental hoping for a nice substitution. From the moment I walked into the very warm lobby (temperature wise, that is), I had serious doubts about my choice. The lobby was large, hot, noisy, impersonal, and staffed with receptionists who kept interrupting each other as they were checking in guests. The questions and comments of the fellow receptionists took priority over the guests being checked in. I call this rude.

My room was supposed to be an air conditioned superior room with a queen bed, bathtub, a balcony with sea view, and wi-fi access. I was sent to a superior room with 2 single beds and a shower. I turned around and went back to the reception desk and requested reassignment to a room that matched my reservation. They granted my request.

The second room had a queen bed, a tub/shower, a balcony with sea view. The air conditioner on high did not put out enough cool air to even call it an air conditioner. Further, it made so much noise, and so much erratic noise, it was impossible to sleep. Given the warm temperature outside, the exceptionally easy balcony access from one room to the next, and the street noise, leaving the balcony door open all night was not an option. The Wi-Fi did not work. The glass shower guard did not prevent water from ending up on the floor, even though I was careful with the direction the shower hose was held. It took one of the large bath towels on the floor to sop up the mess.

Most of the employees had the attitude of being imposed upon.

On the morning of my departure (at 4.15 a.m.), I went to reception with my two suitcases to check out. The receptionist was on his phone when I walked up to the desk. He finished his call within 2 minutes. He ended his call and without a word, looked at me questioningly. In Italian, I said good morning and told him that I would like to check out. The only words he uttered were to ask me if I wanted to charge the stay to the Visa card number on my reservation. Once he had my answer, without a word, he put two forms in front of me to sign. I signed them. He gave me a receipt and that was the end. No other words from him AT ALL.

The next time I even think I'll be staying in Naples, I will make my reservation at the Hotel Excelsior. I won't wait and then be stuck having to find an alternative.

THIS WAS A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE ALL THE WAY AROUND!

Room Tip: I would choose a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank girliq
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor your review regarding your stay at the Royal Continental hotel.

I am deeply sorry to read about the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay and I regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations.
However, I am surprised about your review concerning the staff attitude as it is indeed not reflecting the usual level of service we are used to deliver to our valuable guests.
Be sure all your comments have been forwarded to the head of services concerned.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you back for a future stay in Naples.

Yours, Sincerely,

Alexandre Lebrat
Royal group hotels & resorts
Naples
Reviewed 6 October 2013

What can I say? The hotel is clean, noise free, excellent staff with nothing to much trouble. On this visit we booked B&B & did not use the restaurant for evening meal (there are lots of places to eat nearby). The best value for money hotel that we have used in our many trips to Italy.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

1 Thank Nigel C
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We loved this hotel and its location, with a couple of caveats. The first room they put us in reeked of smoke, the doors to the terrace were broken, and the walls were filthy.

The second room was much nicer, if dated. But the location is great, and the view is great, and the hotel is a an excellent value with a good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple