“Comfortable, good value”

Royal Continental Hotel
Ranked #42 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 12 January 2014

There are some immensely churlish reviews of this hotel below. We spent 10 days here over Christmas and NY. The building is of a period, and, even if in need of some tarting up here and there, has its own character.

The rooms with water views are excellent, the bathrooms spacious and well-appointed, the balconies a treat. Yes, they cost more than rooms without water views, obviously, but why would anyone book into a hotel in a prime water-view location and opt for a room without a view? Proximity to Via Partenope and the restaurant strip? There are any number of hotels a short walk inland. Most of all, though, the RC's rooms with water views are excellent value relative to equivalent rooms in the neighbouring Vesuvio and Excelsior Hotels.

Our room was also overly warm when we arrived. Obviously the air conditioning system is turned off in winter. The solution was simple: turn off the heating and air the room until the temperature drops.

And the internal security is more than adequate. I returned to our room to collect something while it was open being cleaned. The cleaner insisted I put my key card into the door lock to confirm it was our room.

The staff are friendly and welcoming, the breakfasts ample and typical of hotels of this kind. We dined one night in the hotel's restaurant and the food was both excellent and very decent value. Parking is available in the hotel's own secure underground carpark. We would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with water views are excellent and very good value relative to the adjacent hotels. If you wan...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Royal Continental Hotel

Reviewed 7 January 2014

At the end of August 2013 till the first days of Septemeber 2013 we had a stay of 5 nights in this hotel in Napoli. It was the second stay in Napoli - the first one was in 1999.
The hotel has a beautiful location, just opposite the "Castel d'Ovo" on the promenade of Napoli. There is still a drawback in the night, the promenade is a very circulated area and noise is present all the time, but even in this case it worth to have a sea view room. We had a 3 places room.
The hotel is a classical building with classic furniture and large lobby. Rooms are not large enough and the balcony is a nice place where you can spend some time in the long-chair but completely opened. We were still not very impressed by breakfast. Although there was plenty of food, it was directed towards the cheap stuff, like omlette made from egg powder, the same small sausages every day and the bacon was mostly boiled and not fried. It is still a 4 stars hotel and egg-powder is something that could be used in a cheap hotel not here. On the roof there exist also a pool where one could swim. The personnel is kind and service is ok.
At about 400m, on the street Santa Lucia there are two supermarkets which is nice in case you arrive very late and don't want to spend a lot on the pizza's restaurants on the promenade. Be aware, at those restaurants on the promenade the waiters asked me beside the regular price for the food to pay a "coperto"(tip in Italian) for the waiter and a separate one for his manager, which I never encountered. In fact the whole Napoli area is filled with crooks. All restaurants want to cheat you with something and be also aware at the taxi drivers.
For instance from this hotel to Napoli airport there are only 7 km. This could be normally 11 euro, a taxi driver asked me textually: "25 euro for the lift and 5 euro for myself". You should never pay more than 20-25 in case you are in a hurry. Be also aware, when you take the bus from the train station (for instance from the train which goes to Pompeii and Sorrento), back to the city, they are crowded and people are pushing and search in the pockets. They shout and curse all the time with loud voices and travelling with the bus is a nightmare. You better spend a 10 euro for taxi.
Coming back to the hotel review, the single impressive thing is location. We noticed that they might get enlarged with another building and maybe that will give another fresh air to this hotel.

Room Tip: Take care at breakfast. Rooms towards the sea have a super view but are noisy. Take care at the taxi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Even though we arrived at this hotel around noon, we were nonetheless checked in swiftly and with a warm welcome by a friendly front desk clerk. That warm welcome quickly faded, though. Upon finding the rooms extremely hot (due to the sun beating on the sliding glass doors in the rooms), we found that the AC, so prominently advertised in the Royal Continental’s literature, didn’t work at all, not in either of our rooms. When I went to the front desk to ask if anything could be done, all friendliness faded: “It’s winter; we don’t have AC in winter, it’s turned off.” No apology, no suggestion to cool the room, just attitude. When we left the sliding glass doors open later in an effort to avoid the greenhouse effect, someone from housekeeping actually came into our rooms while we were gone and closed the doors. Nice. You might wonder why we would leave the balcony doors open in the first place – wouldn’t this be dangerous, to leave our luggage in an open room that anyone could access from the balcony? Well, you see, there were no locks on the sliding glass doors anyway. Broken. And the main room doors were completely lacking of working deadbolts, too. Not a very secure feeling, sleeping in that room. Otherwise, the room was fine; king-sized bed, okay if dated furnishings, a fridge that worked, a shower with adequate water pressure. The tv received very few working channels, and the noise on the street below was quite fierce from the drunkards until about 4am, but the view of the Castel dell’Ovo can’t be beat, the sunrises over the ocean are to-die-for, the restaurants are plentiful, the area is one of the richest and safest in Naples, and the breakfast, although spendy, is very good, with terrific bacon and more choices than you can shake a stick at. Very nice breakfast staff. Also, the wifi worked in the room and was free. Would I stay here again? Not unless I could verify first that the doors locked properly and could be deadbolted from the inside.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Executive at Royal Continental Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I thank you for taking time to share on Trip Advisor a comment regarding your stay at the Royal Continental Hotel.

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel, the kindness and professionalism of our staff and the view on the Castel dell’Ovo and the bay of Naples from your room and the restaurant area.
However, I want you to accept our apologies for the temperature in room. Effectively, during winter period we do not have the A/C in room. I am sure that the front office agent did not want to be rude.
Regarding the lock and deadbolted, I have forwarded your comment to the hotel manager and I inform you that we are doing a soft refurbishment in some of our rooms.
I thank you for your understanding and I look forward to welcoming you to the Royal Continental Hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Based on the reviews, I was looking forward to staying there but was left disappointed

Plus:
- Location at the waterfront and proximity to the tourist sites and restaurants is a plus
- Free Wifi

Nits:
- Small rooms with small lumpy beds. The bathroom seemed bigger than the room
- Rooms with water view have silly prices; the others looks out to a courtyard with private apts with hanging laundry and all that
- The hotel seems to cater to confs - anytime there is one, the lobby becomes a poster area and breakfast area gets over populated
- Lobby and surrounding area seems to have a combination of a dated and unfinished look - empty corridors and misc stuff just lying about
- Breakfast was a disappointment with limited choice and little flavor. Apart from the great cappuccino, there wasn't much

Overall: For the price this hotel charges, you'd be better off finding an alternate venue. This is definitely NOT a 4 start property as the hotel seems to advertise

Room Tip: Do clarify that you are getting a water-view room. Also go for high floor rooms to avoid road noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Executive at Royal Continental Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I thank you very much for taking time to share with us your experience at the Royal Continental hotel in Naples.
I am happy to read that you have appreciated the position of our hotel, situated on the famous promenade at the waterfront.
I am surprised to read that we have “silly” prices on the sea side as December is not considerated pick season even if, as I can understand, we had a congress in our hotel during the period you stayed with us.
Concerning the breakfast, it is served in our restaurant with sea view and the pastries are freshly homemade by our pastry chef every morning.
I invite you to contact our reservation department directly for your next stay in Naples in order to avail the best rate for each category of room available and avoid surprises upon check-in.

Again I thank you for your review and I’m looking forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Continental hotel.

Yours, Sincerely

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Right in the sea front, the hotel is a destination for people who like to walk on the lakeshore, exercise or jog…The Street is now only open to pedestrians, which is good and bad! The bad side is how to get to the hotel!!! Almost a nightmare; perhaps if I was going to write about driving in Naples, I had a lot of terrible things to say, but it is manageable after all if you drive like them: no rules!
In general I did not find anything exciting about this hotel. By no means, it is a 4-star hotel as we know it in North America; at best I can say a 3-star. Rooms facing the sea or in the corners are not bad but avoid rooms in the back: no view; very boring!

The beds are two small single beds. If you ask them for a king size, they just put the two single beds together and cover them with a single sheet!! Welcome! The bathroom is very old but functional!

The WIFI is terrible. Everyday you should ask for a new password. The speed is worse than what I had in Mexico and you have a limit of 200MB. My first room had no reception at all! Some staff did not seem to care and finally offered my to get a room in the first floor facing the sea but I had to pay more! Next day, I talked to another staff and she moved me to a new room (one floor higher) then I had the WIFI, but over all the internet was slooooowww.

The breakfast is nice but every day was the same, so if you stay for a week you get tired of it.

Overall, I can say it is an average hotel with average features, nothing seriously bad nor amazingly nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Alex,

Thank you very much for sharing on Trip Advisor your review regarding your stay at the Royal Continental hotel in Naples.

Naples is effectively not the easiest city where to drive. Our hotel is situated in center and the major points of interest of the city are walking distance. For the next time I recommend you to take a taxi from the train station/ the airport and to ask for the fair rate, or to book a private transfer with our concierge.

As a lot of business hotels, our king size beds are, in major part, composed of two single mattress put and blocked together and covered by a king size mattress cover. Upon reservation, you can also ask for a king size mattress, upon availability, we will do our possible to assign you a room as requested.
Concerning Wifi, I apologies to read that you had problems to connect you from your room. I will transfer your comment to the technician in order to test the potential of our wifi in each floor and improve the signal.

I thank you for your comments and your comprehension and I hope to have the pleasure to meet you for your next time in our hotel.

Best regards and happy New Year!

Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Well, we don't have anything negative to say. The keep it clean, but it's to old and it looks dirty. Expensive for so an old hotel. The view and the location is amazing, nice and friendly staf. I will recommend a urgent renovation.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I thank you for sharing with us a review regarding your last stay in our hotel.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in Naples, the view from our hotel and the quality of service given from our staff. Unfortunately, I apologies to read that the style of our hotel did not meet your expectation. I will forward your comments to our staff and the hotel management.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Continental hotel for a future stay in Naples.

Yours, faithfully

Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as it was recommended for the work conference that I was attending.

The location of the hotel is great. It is directly on the seafront overlooking the castle and next to a range of restaurants. I got there by taking the Alibus to the port and walking along the seafront to the hotel.

I organised the room by email a few months before and requested a double bedroom with a seafront view. Upon arriving I was given a twin bedroom with a view of the hotel next door! The room itself was a reasonable size with a minibar, safe and balcony. However the decor could have done with updating and the walls were dirty and needed a good wipe down.

What most put me off about the hotel was when I called down to ask for an iron, as of course after travelling my clothes were creased, I was told that they could not lend me an iron for 'safety reasons'... However I could pay for them to iron my clothes, starting at €5 per item! I was horrified. I've stayed in many hotels in many different countries (including Italy) and have never been refused an iron before! Instead I steamed my clothes in the bathroom which seemed to work. However when you're paying over £100 a night you expect to be able to iron your clothes.

The food at breakfast was okay, but quite repetitive. They had a reasonable continental selection and a few hot items. However I wouldn't recommend the orange juice which tasted very watered down!

The staff at the hotel were very mixed. Some were friendly and helpful whereas others were quite the opposite.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this hotel. For the price that I paid I certainly didn't get what I was expecting. Whilst the location was great, I think it would be worth looking at other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013