“Perfect Amalfi Coast Hotel!”

Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo
Ranked #23 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed here with our two kids. It was a perfect central location, which made it nice for coming and going thru-out the day. I recommend paying for the upgrade that includes the daily buffet breakfast... The food is delicious & filling, and the view incredible. I also advise using the driver through the tour company advertised at the front desk. Another fabulous Marriott property!

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Naples marches to its own drummer, and so does this hotel in the higher-end Marriott chain. We loved the location for its easy walkability to the opera house (Teatro di San Carlo), the port (ferries to Sorrento, Capri), the Palazzo Royale, and the Galleria Umberto. It's about a mile walk to the great archeological museum -- along a safe and very lively street, day or night -- and a somewhat longer walk to the subway (Circumvesuviana), which goes to Pompeii. The staff of this hotel are independent minded and not as guest friendly or conversant in English as in the Marriotts of Prague and Vienna, but they're ok. The executive floor breakfasts for Marriott Gold and Platinum rewards members are good (great view of Naples), though the quality and service are also a step below what we found in the Prague and Vienna Marriotts. But the rooms were fine, and as a launching pad for exploring the byways of Naples and getting easily to Sorrento and Pompeii, this hotel met our needs perfectly. We'd definitely stay here again. FYI: locally, this hotel is known at the Hotel Mediterraneo; if you say Marriott or Renaissance, the cab drivers (who play by their own rules -- expect to be ripped off and be prepared to negotiate) may not know what you're talking about.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Steven S
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The hotel was a decent stay with excellent staff.

I had a king room on the 9th floor, directly across from the elevator. Surprisingly quiet.
My only complaint was the bed - the mattress was cheap in my opinion, very thin and extra firm.
I had to have ice delivered, none available on the floor that I could fine. But it was delivered quickly at 2am.

As a Marriott Gold member - my perk was free breakfast.
I used points for my stay, and feel that I had a good value for the redemption.
I had to pay 3 Euro for tax.

Internet was free for everybody with a decent WIFI connection.
The morning buffet was not very good in my opinion - the only reason I did not give the Hotel 5 Stars.

The view from the breakfast location was amazing....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Saintsfan1989
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The staff is awesome and so so friendly. The rooms are traditional and very comfortable. They are quiet and you can't hear your neighbors or the city sounds. They had the most comfortable beds in all of Italy! In other cities we stayed in "nicer" hotels but the beds never matched the comfort of the beds here at the Renaissance. The location is convenient to all of the sights. I suggest you ask for a water view as we had a view of the neighboring apartments. Not so nice. The buffet breakfast is on a high floor and has incredible views overlooking the water and the castle. Make sure you eat some of the traditional Napolitano pastry sfogliatella. So yummy! Naples is a not to be missed city. It is a bit rough around the edges but it is so genuine. Not too slick and over-run with tourists. Ancient, narrow streets with laundry hanging over head to dry in the sun. Exactly as the photos show. It could be 2013 or 1913. We asked and the staff recommended a private tour group. We hired a private van to take us to the Amalfi Coast for the day. Our driver's name was Michael, an older, native Napolitano. HE MADE OUR TRIP PERFECT! He had so much knowledge and was kind and so wonderful. He went above and beyond the expected and we really appreciated him. He took us to a small, family owned wood veneer shop. Beautiful boxes, and mirrors and etc. Wonderful place to buy good quality gifts. We would NOT have found that if we had taken some big bus tour. I asked about a grotto I had heard about from a man on the airplane and Michael went out of his way to take us to that little grotto. He will customize your day any way you want him to. You do not need to stick to the suggested itineraries in the pamphlet. Although you pay for the service you actually get more value because there is no precious time wasted trying to figure out where to go and how to get there. We hired him the next day to take us to Pompeii and again he was great. The Amalfi coast and Pompeii can be just day trips from Naples. He eventually drove us up to Rome. It ended up being about the same price it would have cost us to take a taxi to the train station and train tickets to Rome for four. We wished we could have hired him for the rest of our time in Italy but sadly he only works in Naples and the surrounding area. Ask the front desk to book your tours with that company (I'm sorry I do not know the name but the pamphlet is a tri-fold and is blue) and request for Michael. You won't regret the money spent.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MicheleEK
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We spent one night at this hotel before our Amalfi coast cruise. The reception staff were great, the room was clean and quiet with a nice big bed. The air conditioning worked! Bathroom well equipped. The breakfast terrace has a wonderful view and the breakfast was really good. Great location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jacqui4
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Very well situated, centrally at walking distance from shopping areas, funicolare and Molo Beverello. Rooms are clean and correctly equipped (what about a flat screen TV?). Terrace for breakfast has got stunning views on the harbour and Naples bay.
Bad point is that while booking directly to the hotel, having a Marriott membership and paying a full rate for 2 nights, I was given a room with internal view on the safety stairs while the Hotel was far to be fully- booked. I recommend their reception to pay more attention to their guest instead of their own interest/efficiciency.
And I invite the Renaissance managers to explain to these guys what Hospitality and being client minded means.

Room Tip: Ask a room with external views and upper floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Attilio B
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We spent 3 nights and two days at this hotel in June 2013 and cannot say enough positive things about it. The rooms were well appointed and quiet. The top floor breakfast outdoor dining was beautiful with its amazing views. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly. We especially want to thank the gentleman who helped us get our car started when it would not start for us on our departure. He researched the issue and discovered the car alarm had disabled the vehicle. It was quickly fixed and we were on our way. Please consider visiting Naples and stay at this hotel. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family