Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo
Ranked #22 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked this hotel because we are Marriott reward members however it is not what US residents are used to. I would not consider this a 5 star hotel in the Marriott chain. It's pretty basic but the location was great as it is right off one of the main north south avenues (Via Toledo) and within walking distance to shopping and most major sites (5 minute walk to ferries to Capri & Sorrento). The staff are not as guest friendly as we would have expected and most are limited in their knowledge of English. (I do have to give a big thanks to one of the gentleman at the front desk who did know fairly good English and recommended Osteria da Antonio for dinner one night). The terrace breakfast was predictable but good - the coffee was truly exceptional - and provides a great view of all of Naples and the sea. Our executive room was ok - clean but nothing special. The bathroom could use a facelift however. If coming back I would stay here again soley due to the hotel's location but only if I could use points.

Room Tip: Generally rooms with a sea view are more expensive but upon check in ask if one is available at the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelerShari
Write a ReviewReviews (1,596)

Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for an extended weekend in Naples. It is centrally located and the overall quality of the hotel is good but expensive for what you get. The hotel has the most wonderful rooftop terrace where you can enjoy breakfast and dinner with panoramic views of Naples. Rooms are small with limited amenities and old style TV's with a limited choice of channels.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Birgitte E
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed here with our two kids. It was a perfect central location, which made it nice for coming and going thru-out the day. I recommend paying for the upgrade that includes the daily buffet breakfast... The food is delicious & filling, and the view incredible. I also advise using the driver through the tour company advertised at the front desk. Another fabulous Marriott property!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Naples marches to its own drummer, and so does this hotel in the higher-end Marriott chain. We loved the location for its easy walkability to the opera house (Teatro di San Carlo), the port (ferries to Sorrento, Capri), the Palazzo Royale, and the Galleria Umberto. It's about a mile walk to the great archeological museum -- along a safe and very lively street, day or night -- and a somewhat longer walk to the subway (Circumvesuviana), which goes to Pompeii. The staff of this hotel are independent minded and not as guest friendly or conversant in English as in the Marriotts of Prague and Vienna, but they're ok. The executive floor breakfasts for Marriott Gold and Platinum rewards members are good (great view of Naples), though the quality and service are also a step below what we found in the Prague and Vienna Marriotts. But the rooms were fine, and as a launching pad for exploring the byways of Naples and getting easily to Sorrento and Pompeii, this hotel met our needs perfectly. We'd definitely stay here again. FYI: locally, this hotel is known at the Hotel Mediterraneo; if you say Marriott or Renaissance, the cab drivers (who play by their own rules -- expect to be ripped off and be prepared to negotiate) may not know what you're talking about.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Steven S
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The hotel was a decent stay with excellent staff.

I had a king room on the 9th floor, directly across from the elevator. Surprisingly quiet.
My only complaint was the bed - the mattress was cheap in my opinion, very thin and extra firm.
I had to have ice delivered, none available on the floor that I could fine. But it was delivered quickly at 2am.

As a Marriott Gold member - my perk was free breakfast.
I used points for my stay, and feel that I had a good value for the redemption.
I had to pay 3 Euro for tax.

Internet was free for everybody with a decent WIFI connection.
The morning buffet was not very good in my opinion - the only reason I did not give the Hotel 5 Stars.

The view from the breakfast location was amazing....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Saintsfan1989
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The staff is awesome and so so friendly. The rooms are traditional and very comfortable. They are quiet and you can't hear your neighbors or the city sounds. They had the most comfortable beds in all of Italy! In other cities we stayed in "nicer" hotels but the beds never matched the comfort of the beds here at the Renaissance. The location is convenient to all of the sights. I suggest you ask for a water view as we had a view of the neighboring apartments. Not so nice. The buffet breakfast is on a high floor and has incredible views overlooking the water and the castle. Make sure you eat some of the traditional Napolitano pastry sfogliatella. So yummy! Naples is a not to be missed city. It is a bit rough around the edges but it is so genuine. Not too slick and over-run with tourists. Ancient, narrow streets with laundry hanging over head to dry in the sun. Exactly as the photos show. It could be 2013 or 1913. We asked and the staff recommended a private tour group. We hired a private van to take us to the Amalfi Coast for the day. Our driver's name was Michael, an older, native Napolitano. HE MADE OUR TRIP PERFECT! He had so much knowledge and was kind and so wonderful. He went above and beyond the expected and we really appreciated him. He took us to a small, family owned wood veneer shop. Beautiful boxes, and mirrors and etc. Wonderful place to buy good quality gifts. We would NOT have found that if we had taken some big bus tour. I asked about a grotto I had heard about from a man on the airplane and Michael went out of his way to take us to that little grotto. He will customize your day any way you want him to. You do not need to stick to the suggested itineraries in the pamphlet. Although you pay for the service you actually get more value because there is no precious time wasted trying to figure out where to go and how to get there. We hired him the next day to take us to Pompeii and again he was great. The Amalfi coast and Pompeii can be just day trips from Naples. He eventually drove us up to Rome. It ended up being about the same price it would have cost us to take a taxi to the train station and train tickets to Rome for four. We wished we could have hired him for the rest of our time in Italy but sadly he only works in Naples and the surrounding area. Ask the front desk to book your tours with that company (I'm sorry I do not know the name but the pamphlet is a tri-fold and is blue) and request for Michael. You won't regret the money spent.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MicheleEK
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We spent one night at this hotel before our Amalfi coast cruise. The reception staff were great, the room was clean and quiet with a nice big bed. The air conditioning worked! Bathroom well equipped. The breakfast terrace has a wonderful view and the breakfast was really good. Great location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends