Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo
  • Room Service
US$371
US$340
  • Pool
Grand Hotel Europa(Naples)(Great Value!)
US$121
  • Restaurant
US$162
US$137
1,689 results
All reviewsvia toledomarriott chaintop floorrooftop breakfastlobby barbreakfast roomtoledo streetamalfi coastthe main shopping streetper daymount vesuviuscastel nuovoitalian hotelstrain stationcentral locationfresh fruitstreet noise
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

My husband is a lifetime platinum member but we chose to pay for this stay because of the very reasonable rate. Marriott usually has great locations & this one lived up to that reputation. It is centrally located between the harbor & Via Toledo. Our room was bigger than a typical European room. We had to take turns in the bathroom but it was very clean. I agree with a previous reviewer, people should compare European hotels to other European hotels, not American hotels. We loved the rooftop breakfast area. The view of Vesuvius & the harbor were unobstructed. There were great, European food choices, something we would want when in Europe. If you want an American hotel, then I suggest you stay in the USA.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank jcaeiouy
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed 2 nights in order to visit Pompei. We had a car and with some difficulty found the hotel. There is a lot of road construction going on, so the Gps was "recalculating" ovrr & over.

I booked online w/ marriott.com and got a decent rate of 146 € using AAA. The first room we were given was over looking the emergency fire escape and had an old crt tv, no chairs, tiny bathroom. I called the front desk and reminded them I was a Gold member and was upgraded to the 10th floor with a city view. Meaning a view of the surroundibg appartments

I mention Marriott status because for other members it was interesting to note that I was not given the usual drill"Thank you for your loyalty as a Marriott Elite". I was told breakfast was included with the room, but not sure if it actually was or was given due to being Gold.

We used the under ground parking at the hotel and had great valet assist us with our luggage.He also ended up bringing us ice as there are no ice machines. My only complaint is that both nights ordering ice from room service was that after tipping the guy, I ended paying for something that should be free at Marriott.

The breakfast buffet was decent, you wouldn't go away hungry, but of course there were things most Americans would not eat for breakfast. Another reviewer mentioned that you cant compare European hotels to the jotels in the US., but I somewhat disagree. One of the reasons I choose to stay at Marriotts is gor yhe consistency of service and quality of rooms.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2013

After bouncing around some, looking for a decent place, I checked in here for the last 8 days of my stay. The place is wonderful. In my opinion it is not a good idea to compare hotels in Italy with hotels in the U.S. Rooms are smaller, and Italians generally don't have more than a croissant and a cup of coffee for breakfast, so don't expect room size and breakfast choices to blow you away, unless you want to stay in a $500 per night hotel. What the Renaissance provided for a great price, which you don't always find regardless of the price, is a spotlessly clean and modern lobby, with very well trained, friendly and polite front desk staff. There is a small but sheik lobby bar. On the second floor (first floor in italian) there is a restaurant that serves great food for just a few dollars more than the restaurants outside.

The room had excellent WiFi, an LCD TV with some english channels. Some rooms have sea views, although mine did not. Everything is clean. The room was small, but not tiny like many. It was just fine, with ample closet space, bathrobes, slippers, etc. The bed was great. I have a bad back, and that's the first thing I would notice. August is hot, but I had no problems with the air conditioner keeping up. The bathroom was a little small, but also not that small. It had a full shower and tub, toilet, bidet, etc.

The instructions on how to use the safe box were missing. I called the front desk. Service staff knocked on my door in what seemed to be within the minute. Some people have reviewed their rooms as being dated, but mine was completely modern. The heavy drapes completely block out the light, making it easy to sleep. I heard zero street noise, and since the hotel is just off of Via Toledo, I doubt it's a problem in any room.

The rooftop breakfast area provides perhaps the best view of Mt. Vesuvius and the New Castle that you can get. It is truly spectacular. You can also come up here during the evening and watch the sunset, which illuminates Mt. Vesuvius in a very special way. This is one of Italy's glorious sites. The breakfast was excellent, fresh, no problem for me, a vegetarian, getting well enough fed that I could skip lunch. There is a small gym, but it has enough stuff to keep up even an aggressive fitness plan, including a very modern universal machine, a bench, and dumbbells up to 20 kg (about 45 lbs.) The only problem with the fitness center is that there is only one treadmill. Nevertheless, only once was I there while someone else was using it, so it's not that big of a problem.

Besides cleanliness, modernity and good staff, the key thing here is the location. People are very intimidated by Naples, and it's not warranted. I think it's the third or fourth oldest continuously inhabited city in Europe, and many parts of it look that way. Nothing is going to happen to you in the neighborhood of this hotel, unless you walk around with a target on your back. It's right off of the main street of Naples, Via Toledo. There are always many people in the street, and there are police everywhere. It's not because there is a lot of crime int his area. It's that they can't police the whole city, so they make sure they adequately police this main area.

Via Toledo is the main shopping street. There are overflowing garbage disposals, but it's not that bad. It's a short walk through a safe neighborhood to get to the ferry port for Capri, Ischia, etc. It's a short walk (0.75 miles by my running watch GPS) down Via Toledo to get down to the waterfront, which is spotless clean, completely safe, and loaded with restaurants, and has amazing views of Vesuvius. Plus, the walk to the sea provides some great sightseeing, including Piazza del Plebiscito, considered one of Italy's finest grand plazas.

It's also a relatively short walk to go to the historic center, the old part Via Tribunale (pizza main street), Spaccanapoli, etc. This is the part that's gothic and dark, and that scares people. You will get lost trying to get there, and people don't generally speak english, or very much Italian, for that matter (mostly neapolitan dialect), so unless you're a very experienced and confident foreign traveler, I'd just take a cab to the historic center, get some great photos, eat, and have the restaurant call a cab to take you back to the hotel.

In short, this is a modern and clean hotel with all of the amenities, and it's located in what I believe is the best area to stay for seeing the main sites while feeling and being safe, have everything (except the central train station) within easy walking distance. If you are going to the station, take the cab for 11E. The next time I am in Naples, which I hope will be soon, there is no question that I will stay here.

Room Tip: I was fine with 910, but I'd always ask for one with a sea view, which mine didn't have (the view was just to the street0>
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank NonLoSo2011
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Aside from Naples in general not being one of the most beautiful cities to explore, the hotel was very underwhelming past the lobby. The rooms were very dated and provided very little privacy. The views --- didn't really exist aside from looking into the room of a local handing their clothes to dry. Our intial room wasn't very clean and we had to be moved to a different room.

There is a rooftop where they serve breakfast in the morning. There were great views from there of the water and the coastline. This was a nice touch. The pool/hot tub area seemed really dirty while we were there.

Before catching out train to Rome, we stopped at the cafe just outside the restaurant and grabbed a couple of panini. They were really wonderful.

If I could do it again, I would have stayed in a small boutique hotel that had modern upgrades.

Room Tip: Try to find a way to get a room with a view. This may be very challenging.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tiffany S
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We needed to stay in Naples for one night and being Marriott platinum members, we decided to use our reward points instead of spending cash and thus ended up choosing this hotel. As it turned out, it wasn't a bad decision.

Hotel is almost half an hour drive from the main train station through the crazy Naples traffic. From the train station, there are fixed fare taxis, and it costs around 11 Euros. Hotel is located just near the port, which is quite walkable. Also, there is a taxi stand just next to Hotel, so getting a Taxi is not a problem. Hotel itself is very grand, with a vast Lobby. Our room was very spacious, just like an american hotel. The bathroom had a bath-tub and was quite big and room was very clean. Bed was quite comfortable and had a choice of pillows. Wi-fi was of decent speed. The hotel came across to me as a typical Marriott.

For us, the highlight was the breakfast which was served on their roof top restaurant. The view from there is amazing, with a castle and sea in the background. Breakfast spread itself was very good. It was just the thing what we needed for a day of sight-seeing.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple