“Better than I thought”

Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo
Ranked #22 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Taking tours can be tricky especially the hotels they put you in, and I thought that this hotel would be "iffy" but it was great. Our room was clean and spacious and the bathroom was roomy too. The hotel is situated in a decent area, walking distance to all the main sights. I'm not a huge fan of Naples so I can't say that I will be returning but if I need to I will not hesitate to stay here.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My wife, two year old child and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in September 2013. We arrived in the afternoon around 2pm and they first told us that there was no room available. However, they found a room for us and we checked in immediately. The room was small and the beds and furniture are not typical Marriott standards. We were disappointed.

Also, the breakfast on the rooftop is beautiful but the food is more of a continental breakfast than a full breakfast. They do not have many choices of bread and they have no fresh fruit. They only have what appeared to be canned mixed fruit selection. The service staff at the restaurant are not very friendly.

The location of the hotel is excellent and in the heart of Naples. It is located within a 10 minute walk to the port and a 5 minute walk to the main street (Toledo street). There are many restaurants on Toledo street and another big street (can't remember the name) and the food is excellent. However, we were careful to return to the hotel by 9pm. After 9pm on the weekdays, there are not many people on the streets and there are many questionable people around.

We took a taxi a few times to and from the hotel to the train station. The cost each time was approximately 10 to 15 euros. We felt as if this was reasonable and we did not agree to the price prior to getting in the taxi.

My wife ate in the hotel restaurant and said the food was very good. Overall, the location was great but the room was not Marriott standards.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ajphilly
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed here for one night in September on business. The room was great. It was a very large room - I was upgraded as a Marriott Gold customer. Breakfast was nice. TV was fine with a couple of English speaking channels (CNN). Internet didn't work so well. No problems with the computer, but other devices could not connect wirelessly unless in the lobby. Disappointing. Room was very clean, very nice and well appointed. I would stay here again. I had no issues with the staff speaking English, however I only spoke with the front desk. They were great - and provided me directions to purchase water, etc. I had just come from Bucharest, so this was a much welcomed retreat. Great hotel for anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My husband travels a lot for business, so we thought we would stay here 4 nights since it is centrally located to Amalfi coast and Pompeii. However, after checking in, we quickly found not to be what you expect from the brand "Renaissance" I saw where another post stated that you should not compare this to American Hotels? Why not? They charge more for this being a Renaissance. First the bed is like sleeping on ply wood, i don't believe i have ever slept on a mattress this hard before, painful! The T.V. is an old tube type very small TV. We stayed at a very small family owned hotel, in Firenze that had a large flat screen in the room. The hotel itself is noisy since they have hard wood floors, so we could hear every movement from our upstairs neighbors. The staff does not speak much English, and does not even try, clearly felt like we are a bother to them, including the fact that I wished to have coffee with my breakfast, I had to ask 3 times and was treated rudely, then I can understand enough Italian to hear the waitress speaking about me with the other waitress. We changed our plans instead of staying 4 nights on points, I am only staying 2 and moving to another hotel on the coast. I would highly recommend not staying here. The city is very large, crowed and expensive. I have found other cities much nicer. When I return to Italy I would not visit Naples again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Happyflowers01
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We used our reward points to stay here in order to see Pompeii. We had never been to Naples, nor did we know how bustling so much of the city is. We thought the hotel offered an excellent respite from the city. We were in room 1001 and found it to be spacious, clean, updated and quiet. The rooftop restaurant is a must and it offers an almost 360 degree view that includes the port (and cruise ships), buildings that terrace up the hillside, churches and so much more. Naples wasn't for us, but if we found ourselves back here, we would only stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights while traveling around Italy on our honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed stay. Our room: great size, lots of natural light, big, comfy bed (sheets kinda felt like paper, though), large bathroom, beautiful hard wood floors, big, flat screen TV...overall, great! Breakfast: gorgeous view! Lots to choose from...overall, perfect. Service: the men and women at the front desk were extremely helpful and accommodating. They helped us with restaurant options, tour options, etc. One night I may or may not have blown the outlets using my own American hairdryer...oops. We called the front desk, and someone came to our room within 5 minutes. NICE. Location: Great, we were right around the corner from a bustling street filled with great shopping.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. It was classy, clean and cheerful. However, the best thing my niece and I found was that the staff was just great.

We'd rented a car at the airport, and tried driving to the hotel, which really isn't far from the airport. However, even with a GPS, we got lost, and let me tell you, this isn't the easiest city in which to drive. Some of the streets are incredibly narrow, and there are those Vespa riders who dart in and out of traffic, and just about give you a heart attack. Well, some of the streets are so narrow that my niece had to fold in both her side view mirrors, and I still don't know how we didn't hit any buildings, scooters, pedestrians (who are oblivious), or anything else.

Having arrived all in one piece at the hotel, my niece was a bit shaken by the experience, and the staff was so kind to us. Pina, in particular, was really good to us. She sent a bellman off to get some water for my niece, and she spoke soothingly to us. We decided to return the car the next day. She told one of the bellmen about our experience, and he said we could follow him back to the airport when he got off work to return the car. He had to go out of his way to do this, so that was very kind of him.

When Pina visited her mother, she told her about us, and how she hoped we'd be okay all alone in the city. She's a really caring person.

Pina was so sweet, that we took to talking to her every day to let her know how our day had gone. We actually looked forward to getting back to the hotel to share our adventures with her. She found us a really good driver, Ottavio Avallone, and he took us to visit my grandfather's village of Presenzano, my grandmother's town of Roccamonfina, and he took us to the Amalfi Coast, as well. What a fabulous couple of days we had.

On our last day at the hotel, we bought Pina a small toy car to remind her of us, and also a lovely teal scarf. She was so surprised and happy. We just wanted to be sure she knew how much her kindness meant to us. Between Pina and the nice bellmen at this hotel, we had a lovely stay in Napoli.

Carol Ann L.