“Faded glory”
Review of Britannique Hotel

Britannique Hotel
Ranked #116 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Our room was huge and spacious with a fantastic view across the bay to Vesuvius. Reception staff were extremely helpful and spoke excellent English.

The hotel is quite a distance from the centre of Naples, so does involve some travelling for dinner!

The breakfast buffet was adequate... The waiter made us fresh tea on our first day, but after that it seemed to be too much trouble so were relegated to the lukewarm urn!

Very good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Britannique Hotel

Reviewed 11 October 2012

This review comes late but neverless I must review it because well just signed up and it needed to be said what a wonderful hotel this place is. This hotel used to be a villa for a wealthy couple back in the day and was later transformed into a hotel. The rooms are big and the ceilings are high for summer ventilation and coolness, the bathrooms are big and tiled and simply lovely with plenty of water. To have hotels rooms big in Italy is rare because the buildings are old and especially as historic as this one a rare gem! The manager was very friendly and accomodated us very well. We were there for a wedding as my cousin is a Carribineri in Naples so he immediately had our suit and dresses pressed. Breakfast fell short but again, it is europe and being american we expect so much but in italian standards very well presented. If you dont like warm milk (standard in italy) make sure you ask for cold and they will bring it to you. The bed was comfortable and the views from our balcony were breath taking such as the views of the bay of Naples, Vesuvius, Sorrento, Capri and Capo Posillipo and the ocean! I stayed on the balcony forever it seemed enjoying the historic views of the neighborhood and all else. Its a walk to various destinations but only about 10 to 20 mins. You walk and enjoy Naples and italian streets and its people. Amazing time. I would return again

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Let me tell you a little about the Britannique Hotel. First of all, the reader must know that I lived in Naples from 1971-1975. I was stationed here with the U.S. Navy, living in a local apartment on the economy, and therefore didn't stay in many hotels in the area during that time. After I returned to the U.S. my wife and i didn't returned to Naples until 1989; and then we did so to renew old acquaintances and to familiarize our daughters (then aged 14 and 11, one of whom was born in Naples) with the city and area. Somehow I chose to stay in the Britannique....I suppose I read about it in a guide book.......but the choice has stuck with us since we've been returning to Naples rather frequently in the ensuing 22 years. We have tried a few other hotels in that time.....to compare the differences.....but we always return to the Britannique....it feels more like a home than a hotel......in fact it was originally to be a private home. If you're looking for the latest technology....forget about it here. If you're looking for a center of nightlife or "action".....forget about it here. If you're looking for all the modern conveniences, slickest buffet breakfast....chi chi this and that......you would be in the wrong place. But if you're looking for 15 foot high ceilings, designed for ventilation and coolness in the Summer......mmmmm.....you may be home.....much like the apartment house in the Posillipo section where we lived in the 70s. If you're looking for large and comfortable rooms, with 10 feet high shutters that open onto a glorious view of the bay of Naples, including a complete vista of Vesuvius, Sorrento, Capri and Capo Posillipo........you may be where you want to be. If you're looking for extra large bathrooms with instant nicely hot water......you got your place. If you're looking for a real Italian experience where almost all of the clientele are European and the majority of them are Italian......you have arrived. If you're a fit person and you're looking for a brisk 30 minute walk each way to and from the Piazza del Plebiscite.....the Royal Palace of Naples.....down through a fascinating walkway (which is hotel property) and through the high fashion streets along the way.....you are definitely in the right place. This hotel is not the perfect solution for everybody.....no doubt about that.......but we find it impossible to duplicate......and we've tried for 22 years.....it's a real experience and can fit any budget. Interestingly the hotel is right along side (attached actually) to a five star property which charges much much more.....and provides a higher level of service I am sure.......but there you won't get the feel of this nearly 150 year old former headquarters for the German WWII Army. You are close (30 minutes walking) to the fine restaurants of the Mergellina area and of the Via Partenope.....easy and inexpensive cab rides if walking isn't your thing. Naples is a unique city.....seeming to have resisted the homogenization of much of the world.......and the Britannique is a unique hotel within it. The old Naples lives here!!!! We plan to spend a couple of weeks here next Spring. We can recommend it to anyone wanted to experience a semblance of bygone years in this historic city. I regular vote "yes" with my Euros.

Room Tip: Ask for high rooms facing squarely on the sea.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Roy P
Reviewed 13 August 2011

The building is nice enough, good space, high ceilings, but very old fashioned in decor and staff. Although I felt a little like I was in a time warp, the place appeared clean enough. My room was generously sized, as was the bathroom and appeared clean. The airconditioning was adequate in function, until the last day when it started leaking and I had to turn it off. In all fairness, I didn't feel like changing rooms in the middle of the night, so I only reported it the next morning upon checkout, and they appeared to take action on it.

On the downside, the hotel only has wifi available in the lobby, which in todays world is not very handy. Also, I only had breakfast there once, as the breakfast room was not the most attractive and the food did not appeal to me. The restaurant is closed, and although there formally is a bar, you would be sitting all by yourself in a poorly lit corner of the lobby.

The good points: the view was just to die for. The person who booked my room had requested a room with a view, and I certainly got that! Beautiful view of the bay, Capri and the Vesuvius out of two balcony windows. The location was good for me, fairly quiet, close to the funicular station (sort of underground) and a taxi stand right out front. However, if you like being in the hyper-busy center of everything, maybe it would be too quiet for you.

Servive was good, although also slightly old-fashioned and a bit stiff. They did speak decent english though, and offered me an umbrella when I had to get to the underground in a sudden rain storm.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank NausicaaNL
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Me and my wife were staying at this hotel for one night in late May. The staff was pleasant, the room was clean, hotel had beautiful old decor. Maybe hotel location was not so convenient, because you have to take a few subway stops. Furthermore, to go to the nearest subway stop you have to go down rather steep stairs which are locked at 8 PM. But a little further there are some other steps.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dnskcs
Reviewed 8 December 2010

the hotel is a fair bit away from the happening spots.
the room was cleanish and the staff were ok...
the restraunt was closed and they offered limited room service

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank lef12321
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Yes, the Britannique Hotel is ancient, but so is the Versailles castle, no the Britannique Hotel is not like Hilton, Hyatt and others. If you are looking for authenticity, atmosphere, and..a good night it is the place to be. The view over the bay is really stunning and stays in the memories for long. When you wake up and you look at the view, it is really a dream! Very clean. Among the downsides: the hotel would need some..refurbishment and the staff while courteous and efficient, could me somewhat more dynamic and customer focused. Ideally located near the funicular and the metro. In Napoli, it is my 1st choice, definitely.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple