“An 'honest' review!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #128 of 189 Hotels in Naples
Oxford
“An 'honest' review!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

I have stayed at the San Germano for the last 4 nights, as i was required to work nearby. Having visited Naples 7 times previously, I thought I would read the hotel review as i'd not stayed at the San Germano before. To be brutally honest, i was not looking forward to this trip one bit!

I have noticed that some of the people that write reviews on here appear to be rating 'Naples' and not the 'Hotel'. Naples is a strange place, when you leave the city centre it can be a bit of a tip.......NOT the hotel's fault!

So, the Best Western San Germano -

My colleague had stayed here previously and was not impressed. However, it would appear that Best Western have read the reviews, as this place has had a bit of a makeover! The staff were extremely helpful and always on hand to deal with any problems. The wifi service was fairly slow, but you will not find many hotels in naples that offer that service, so grateful for that! We ate in the restaurant twice, quite pricey but the food was superb (recommend the Prosciutto di Parma with buffalo mozzarella or Lamb with Rosemary). I believe the price of the food reflects the fact that there is only one other restaurant within easy walking distance (which isn't great). Breakfast was pretty good, a fairly comprehensive choice, but for those wanting sausages/bacon/egg.....probably not the best choice.

The rooms have clearly had a makeover, very smart and comfortable. The TV channels were limited, but did the job. The maid service is always very efficient and not intrusive as some of them can be! I cannot comment on the pool, as at this time of year it is closed. I will say that there was work being carried out around the pool, in preparation for its opening in May.

The hotel grounds are in need of a bit of a 'spruce up', but there were people decorating the front of the hotel on our last day.

I know somebody previously commented on the porter not being there to take the bags to their room...........seriously, that is getting desperate for things to complain about! If you want a 24 hour porter service, pay the extra for a central Naples hotel like the Royal Continental. Car parking was €12 per day, which is quite steep, but central Naples is €15.

I would not recommend this hotel for a family holiday, but for business travellers in need of a short, comfortable stay it's very good. At last, it appears to be turning into what you would expect a Best Western to be! Shame about the location, but there's not a lot the hotel can do about that!

I'm more than happy to answer any questions about my experience with this hotel, or Naples in general.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank chrisandlynne1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Turkish first
Kendal, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel on business for 12 nights. My company booked it for me and as I am the first to carry out this assignment and there will be more to follow we will be looking elsewhere on my reccomendation.
Location: On the crest of a hill with a dual carraigeway right outside on two sides. Rubbish strewn everywhere and grafiti on almost every avaialble wall/surface as previously mentioned in other reviews. The walk down the hill to the few shops looks daunting as it is ill lit but actually uneventful. Bagnoli is just 10 minutes more and although just as messy does offer a few more cafes, shops and a restaurant or two and round about 1800 it becomes quite a socialable place. There is a Metro station going into town there as well. Dog mess is another huge issue as it is also everywhere. There is another huge hotel over the road that on Friday and Saturday has some kind of live open air disco/party until 0300 so forget about a good nights sleep. The cars start their contribution to the noise at about 0700.

Accomodation: Rooms small. My shutter is wound all the way down to try and keep some noise out. One English news channel (Euronews) and one English film channel that changes back to Italian at 2300. Rooms suffice but no more. Wi-Fi is free but at peak times reverts back to almost dial up speed which is annoying when you are trying to get some work done.

Restaurant: You can easily send 50-60 euro's in it so you would expect a little ambience for that sort of money. Instead you walk into generally an empty restaurant (speaks volumes) and wait for a member of staff to poke his head in. Once attention has been achieved an unchanging menu of bland food is offered. A little music may help the mood but instead there is a widescreen TV that is on way too loud for the benefit of the staff to catch up on soaps etc. I asked if they ever intended to change the limited choices or have a special on (remember there is little else to walk out to and if you do have a car good luck at parking and driving in Naples at night) and the abrupt answer was 'No!'

Reception: If I was to book into a rural or non-chain hotel I wouldn't expect any English at all as that would be the reason I would have done that for...But in a Best Western I expect a little more internationalism. Anyway little English was spoken so I gave up asking for advice in the end. You are made to feel really special whe you walk up to reception to see the receptionist on the phone having a conversation. 10 minutes of patient waiting later I have realised its a personal call and I am being ignored. I make some noise to remonstrate and the phone is lowered with a very annoyed 'YES?'...I leave it in the end...Just awful. I asked for a late book-out of 1300 to fit in with my flight later,. I got 1200 in the end but at 1000 there was the knocking on my door and 'you go now?!'...I told them to shove off in the end as I'm leaving at 1200 but its shows the communications/effort/effectiveness levels of reception are low.

Car parking: Now this system actually works although my company has already spent in excess of 1200 euros keeping me here they get to front up another 144 euros to park my car. At least the guys who run the somewhat adhoc system were cheerful and happy to see you!

Summary: If I was Best Western HQ reading this (unlikely I know) I would be booking a flight to Naples to samle this place for themselves...then I would be walking outside with a scewdriver and removing the Best Western sign from outside and dis-associating my company from this awful hotel. I return home today with a firm reccomendation that my company looks elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank grammer2

Travellers are raving about these Naples hotels

Sunderland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

We stayed at this hotel whilst on tour with Archers, our group was 25 people and we stayed for 3 nights.
The hotel is in an awful part of the city, the immediate locality is very run down, the streets are full of litter and discarded items of clothing and furniture. We felt an after dinner stroll was out of the question. The hotel its self was adequate for a tour hotel, the basis rooms were fairly clean and we slept well. The breakfasts were good and the warm danish pastries were a treat. The evening meals were adequate, drinks were served from a trolley brought to the table but the trolley only made it to our table one night. The 'bar' in the corner of the restaurant was completely unstocked except for a wine fridge with a limited selection and very little seating. The staff were unfriendly and rude and everything was too much trouble. Getting them to serve an after dinner drink was difficult and quite honestly not worth the trouble. One night a waiter accidentally dropped a glass the floor, he kicked the broken glass to the side and it was still there the following morning at breakfast. The attitude of the staff overall was terrible and I have written to Best Western but as expected received only a stock reply.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank passepartout99
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel as part of our tour with Cosmos. The hotel is actually bigger than it looks from the outside. There is a nice big pool on one of the floors and free internet. Negatives: The rooms were fairly decent except there was a big window in the bathroom and I was concerned about peepers, but didn’t come across any thankfully. The elevators only accommodate 3 persons or 2 with luggage. The bellmen took forever with our luggage. Granted there were only 2 of them, but over an hour later, we still didn’t have our luggage. My husband had to get them himself and as the lifts take so long and only hold 3, he took the stairs- to the 4th floor! The location is a bit questionable. It looks like the ghetto part of Naples. A bit dirty. It is located a good hour from the main part of Naples. Breakfast was alright except the coffee really did taste and look like crude oil! Can’t say I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010
Mons, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

I really enjoyed my stay. The staff were very friendly and made my experience enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
carlisle_9
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2009

I chose this because I wanted a convenient base from which to sightsee in Naples and also to have a pool for the evenings. Everyone was very nice and the room was clean but there were ants in the room and the bathroom flooded every time the bathtub drained. It was boiling hot and although the hallways were nice and cool, the room air conditioner never made it to below tepid, although tepid was welcome. The refrigerator didn't work. The pool is lovely, but it closes at 7:45pm and an uncomfortable bathing cap is required, this is pretty much a standard rule throughout the area as far as I understand, but it does suck out the fun of the pool, and also, the pool is CLOSED every Monday, all day, even on the hottest days imaginable (so it can rest) , and so is the shuttle, which is handy but limited to one trip per day into the city, except on Mondays.

The neighborhood is safe and the people are nice, but there is nothing going on and it is too far away from the city to be convenient for sightseeing. I paid a very low price, 68 Euros per night, but I would pay a little more and stay someplace like in the Chaia district, Spaccanapoli or Mergellina areas in the future, so I could enjoy the fabulous, stunning city of Naples fully the next time. I would have selected "below average" had this been a choice, rather than "poor." The ants make the place totally unacceptable, like they have never heard of an exterminator.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank carlisle_9
Norfolk, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

We stayed four nights at the Best Western San Germano. The hotel is undergoing some minor exterior renovation at present, but we weren't disturbed by this work at all. The staff were very friendly (especially Maria and Luigi). Breakfast was included in the price we paid and was a continental buffet style, which was always well presented and included cereals, fruit, yoghurts, cheese, hams, eggs, fresh bread rolls, muffins and more. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening, as we ate elsewhere on our daily travels. Rooms were very clean, with excellent bed and bath linen, and the cheerful staff really took great care of our room. There was a good air conditioning system and window blinds to screen out the sun if needed. We had a balcony with a view of Vesuvius and the sea from our room (when the mist cleared!!). Our car was locked behind a security gate each evening for us. Didn't get a chance to look around the local area, as we just used the hotel as a base. We had a few technical problems with our car and the hotel staff took it to the main dealer to get it fixed for us! Overall, we were happy that we received good value for money.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naples
Bagnoli
Fuorigrotta
Hotel Palazzo Esedra
Hotel Palazzo Esedra
#21 of 189 in Naples

Been to Hotel San Germano? Share your experiences!