“hilarious and delicious”
Review of Pizzeria del Borgo - CLOSED

Pizzeria del Borgo
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City, New York
“hilarious and delicious”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

The managers and waiters here seem straight out of Martin Scorsese central casting! It's rough and tumble -- mismatched glasses, rickety tables one on top of another virtually out in the street, rudeness, noise and fun -- but the seafood is actually delicious and simply prepared (grilled). You will end up paying much more than you expect, because the fish goes by weight, but that's par for the course in Naples. It's no where near as expensive as the classier counterparts across the street in the Via Partenope Hotels. If you want to keep the price down - the pasta dish that everyone eats is spaghetti with seafood that comes wrapped in tin foil. It's good and ample. Don't get the house wine - it's lousy. It is touristy -- but many of the tourists are the Italians who come off their fancy yachts docked in the harbor to eat here.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank designdevotee

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't treat tourists like simple wallets”
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

We had just walked throughout the Castel del Ovo and were looking for a place to have lunch.A convincing waiter attracted us in the street, suggested free wine and displayed the menu.
We accepted to stop and settled on the terrace.The waiter suggested us to ask for fresh fish, and seemed offended when we refused (by readind the other last comments about the restaurant we realised we were right).Another waiter (older,may be the boss) asked for our choice.We wanted simple pizzas,he suggested us some wine (with no reference for it to be free anymore) that we refused.The pizzas were good, but when the old waiter brought the bill, he preciced a tip was expected.He took the money my friend gave him, and went back with the change a few minutes later, repeated "tip for me please".My friend gave him 2 euros he accepted, but he almost left with the change we had layed on the table.My friend had to precise he wanted to keep the rest, and the waiter left giggling...As the service was 15 per cent of the meal, we considered 7 euros were not a ´minimum acceptable tip' for two pizzas and a bottle of water.Obviously the guy didn't share this point of view, and didn't consider a simple ´goodbye' as a minimum of proper education.

• Visited May 2013
Watford, United Kingdom
“careful around these places”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Went to this pizzeria having seen a few restaurants to the side of Castel du'ovvo and walked down there not realising that there were many more than what we could see. Just after the bridge we got given a card for a 'free gift' to another restaurant and headed towards it to see if it was any good but passed Del Borgo who spotted the card from Oste Pizza and told us that we shouldn't go down there as 'he charges different from the menu'.

We did a circuit and then came back deciding that their offer to match the free wine was as good as anything else on offer as everything else was pretty samey. It had fresh seafood displayed outside which had been there since the morning, although covered in ice and out of the sun.

Our waiter asked what we wanted to drink and we told him we'd been offered the free wine and he brought some over. We ordered our starter of deep fried anchovies and some bread appeared. The anchovies came a few minutes later and the bread was taken away, without having been finished. He then came back eventually to take our menus away and we pointed out we hadn't yet ordered our main for which we both ordered pizza. All of the food was very nice, the deep fried anchovies especially.

We ate whilst locals & tourists around us came in filling the place up from near empty when we arrived. A musician went round asking for requests and payment. We were largely ignored for about 30 minutes after we had finished eating, even when attempting to get the bill and eventually managed to get hold of the waiter who had taken our order and bread.

€2pp cover had been added to the bill which had not appeared anywhere on the menu and 15% 'service' had also been added but the free wine had been honoured. Upon paying the
€31.05 bill the waiter had the cheek to ask if I wanted to add a tip for the free wine to which I pointed out that they had already added it. He feigned ignorance that that had been done and so for the record in case they read these:

7.50 pizza
27.00
15% of 27 = 4.05
--------
€31.05

Lovely food, I like spicy food and my pizza was spicier than I expected (which I enjoyed), the anchovies again very very nice (wife says the best ones he had the entire trip). The customer service and the feeling that I am a valued customer, lousy at best, incredulate and greedy at worst.

• Visited April 2013
San Carlos, California
“Wonderful!!”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We came upon this gem in April of 2012. The brothers/owners and Massimo-waiter were all over us with great service! The clams, grilled calamari, roasted fish, salads and veggies were fresh and extremely tasty. We went back 4 times. Take your time, be patient, get to know these guys and you will have a fabulous experience!! Typical Naples--friendly, intense, aloof and fun.

• Visited April 2012
Helmbrechts
“Good pizza”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Tucked behind the Egg Castle and away from the waterfront, the waiter had to stand in the cold to hawk in customers. We sat in an enclosed outside area with gas heaters. I had a good pizza Margerita and the wife had Gnocchi alla Sorrentina. For some reason, many places think you should order a 7 course meal anytime you come in. When I gave the waiter 40 Euro for a 35.07 Euro bill, without a word spoken, he kept the change. I had to ask for a bill and my change. Having lived in Napoli for 3 years, I know when to identify when I'm getting ripped off!

Visited February 2013