“noisy and dishonest”

Ranked #42 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Oradea, Romania
“noisy and dishonest”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Where to start!? The hotel is situated on the main road that leads to the Train station drop-off point. Italian drivers like to use their horns as do the bus drivers. This resulted in constant loud noise from 6am to midnight if your lucky. Asked for a room with a bath, told the hotel did not have rooms with a bath. Asked to move to a room at the back of the hotel, told the road goes all around so would not make a difference. Walked round to see for myself only to be approached by prostitutes. Did not feel safe leaving the hotel after dark. Asked reception for help with tourist info only to be severely harassed by the hotel driver to take us to sites for ridiculous sums of money. Told the trains where not running so would have to use him (not true). Tried to charge for drinks from the mini bar which we did not use. To sum up, ruined an otherwise nice vacation and led to me writing my first review in my life and never to book through Thomas Cook again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Let me start by saying that my son and I were not in Naples for Naples. We went for Vesuvius, Herculaneum, and Pompeii + a beach day (which ended up being on Ischia). Considering that we already knew that we would need the Sorrento line train a couple of days and also have to return to Rome via train for our flight to Athens, Greece I booked at this hotel. It's located just to the left of exiting Stazione Centrale on Piazza Guiseppe Garibaldi. I believe that all rooms here have a balcony. Our first room did not have any functional electrical outlets and faced the (incredibly noisy piazza. We were given a smaller room, after I pointed out the deficiencies of the first, and the balcony had a fantastic view of Vesuvius. The elevators are all in corners and they are rickety. We used the stairs unless we had luggage. Yikes! There may have once been a 'roof-top' terrace but not in July. It was just a storage area. Bummer. The common areas were very nice and they had a gym. This was my third city in Italy on this trip and I was excited when I saw breakfast. It was extensive (considering that I had stayed in a Locanda in Venice {Murano} and a pensione in Rome). I ate scrambled eggs every morning! This hotel is popular for business travelers and did host group tourists while we were there.
The front desk staff were helpful but the "free WiFi internet" was ridiculous. The free WiFi is in the common areas, very slow, and by 30 minute chits. You have to get another chit from the front desk over and over and over again. Forget about uploading your travel photos for free at this hotel.

Room Tip: If your assigned room is not functional ask for another. They accommodated our request for a new ro...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank SeatOfMyPntsTravelr
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2011

we stayed here because it seemed to be close to Naples centre and was a reasonable priced 4 star hotel. The breakfasts were the best bit, rooms were tired , small and didn,t even have a kettle. It is best used for travelling from naples by train or bus to pompeii, versuvius etc rather than staying in naples as there are better hotels in nicer areas. There is major works being undertaken in Garibaldi piezza so any hotels surrounding this square are affected by early morning roadworks as well as the normal italian car hooter

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room to avoid the railway track that runs underneath rooms ending in 30's. we st...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Barry G
Sydney
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We stayed here overnight to visit Pompeii. When I saw how close the hotel was to the station: you literally walk out of the station turn left and there it is, I was concerned it would be too noisy. I should not have been. They have managed to turn the hotel into a cool and peaceful oasis right in the centre of Naples. Evertime I walked in I was surprised at the calm of the hotel. Not the right place for an extended stay in Naples but excellent for a quick visit. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ilikeallholidays
UK
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Naples is hardwork (see other reviews) so you need a nice hotel at the end of a busy day. The hotel is nice and clean. It's right near the main train station so you can easily travel to Sorrento, Pompeii, Capri, Mt. Vesuvius, Ischia and more. We stayed for 5 nights and on our first night we had a small urgent problem at 2.30am and we needed to move rooms, which was not a problem and within 5 mins we had a new room sorted - much better. The showers in the rooms aren't great, they could do with modernising. The 'free wi-fi' can only be used in the lobby and you only get 30 mins a day, but you have to ask each day and get a password. It was nice to sit on the balcony looking over the 'fake' garden, it was the only peace and quiet you got in Naples. There was a nice restaurant just down the road from the hotel (same side of the road) but still busy and noisy (you really can't escape it). We also went to eat down by the Castle area, that was nice, but it wasn't easy to get to, 15 EURO for a taxi there and 18 back after midnight. There is lots to see in Naples city, and it's surrounding areas. We had a fantastic holiday. Ischia was well worth a visit, to one of the thermal spas. Sorrento and Capri were my favourite places.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank RD11
Dublin CA
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Checked in to a 3-day reservation after 24 hours sweaty travel. Took a shower. The shower head attachment was broken and unusable. Fixed it enough to make it stay in position, more or less, with some rubber bands.

Shower was the type with drain in tiled floor. After 5 minutes, noticed water wasn't draining at all. Opened shower curtain to see bathroom flooded and water sloshing across bedroom carpet.

Repacked, went to desk and asked for another room. None available, hotel full. Ok, then I must stay elsewhere. "If you do, we must charge you one day, you have a one day cancellation penalty". "I am not cancelling, you are not giving me a usable room. The room is unusable".

Wouldn't budge. Charged me $140.

If you must stay at this hotel or this chain, I suggest a) make sure to get a rate that allows same-day cancellation, b) before the cancellation deadline, check that the room is fully functional.

I spoke to the on-duty manager. There was no expression of regret for my inconvenience. The attitude was one of annoyance that I had the gall not to stay in a flooded room.

The Holiday Inn is fairly nearby, I moved there and it is pretty good, although not quite as convenient location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank happyaviator

Travellers are raving about these Naples hotels

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 16 September 2011

This hotel has spacious rooms that has recently been renovated with relatively low quality. Hotel persons were not so friendly, but they were sincere to each guest's requests. Bath was not bad, and wifi-service was acceptable. It may be optimal for Pompeii visitors who want to avoid world famous Neapolitan hospitalities in downtown, because it locates very near to the central station where can easily be found trains bound for there. You cannot expect 4-star hotel elegance, but it is O.K. for money.

Room Tip: Lower floors facing big construction fields are not recommended.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business