“Great Location and Service”

Grand Hotel Santa Lucia
Ranked #30 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Toronto, Canada
“Great Location and Service”
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Spent 2 nights at this hotel while travelling around Italy last summer. This hotel was a surprise - it was located on the bay of Naples near the boardwalk close to many resturants and ports for trips to a few italian islands. The room was inexpensive and spacious. Service was great - our safe didn't work when got there and in minutes we had maintenance staff working on it on got in going. Treated well and respected.

Recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank DaveMaharaj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Tokyo
Reviewed 24 January 2011

I expected to have a clean bathroom and a nice bed to relax in after a long trip from Japan, especially considering the price I paid.
Instead I got filthy bathroom, a tatty room and a very "improvised" unconfortable bed...
The next day the staff didn't offer to change my room and neither apologized...
Never again.

7 Thank tokyokeola
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 15 January 2011

We had a very unpleasant experience at the “Grand Hotel Santa Lucia” in Naples Italy

My fiancé and I had reserved a room for 2 days from Jan 1 to Jan 3 2011 at the “Grand Hotel Santa Lucia” for 230euros per night.

THE ROOM
After checking in the afternoon we quickly left our luggage in the room and soon went out. We returned to the Hotel late in the evening and found out that the great room that we were ready to experience was a nightmare. The toilette was not cleaned, the bath tub was very dirty, and when we tried to activate the hydro massage red stuff came with the water. As this was not enough when we went to sleep we realized that the bed was not a double bed as we have asked but two single beds put together, and one of the beds was higher to one side and lower to the other side. Next morning we also found out that the sofa was all warned out and the room was kind of dirty. (Please see the attached photos to have a better idea of the room.)

THE STAFF
Because of the unbelievable dirtiness for a 4 star hotel we have taken photos of the bathroom and room. In the morning of Jan 2 nicely we mentioned to the staff at the reception about the room problems and to make understand how bad it was we have shown them also the photos. To our great surprise, even after seeing the photos the staff was not apologetic at all and the only thing they said that they would send someone to clean the room.

At that point we got very upset and told them to provide another room so that we could take at least a nice shower after paying 230euros per night and that we were considering finding another hotel for the second day. Again to our surprise the staff told us that it was not very convenient for the hotel to provide another room just for taking the shower if we were leaving that day. Only after complaining we finally got a clean room to take a decent shower.

At the end we checked out from the “Grand Hotel Santa Lucia” by 11am on Jan 2 going to the 5 star hotel next to it “Grand Hotel Vesuvio” where we had a great experience even only for one day and were we will be returning also next year.

11 Thank ItalianinJapan
Shanghai
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I have read many reviews before deciding to which hotel to choose. Unfortunately, some of them seemed to be biased by the condition of the city: an unfortunate combination of an amazing, surprising city and people from one side with a disastrous management and violent people on the other side. The city is a treasure, possibly one of the most beautiful ones in the world (lived there for 15 years), but the experience can be as rewarding as frustrating and even tragic.
But this should be a review of the hotel and the evaluation shall not be biased.
The hotel is located in an amazing position. Few hotels in the world can offer a view like those one located in that stretch of Via Partenope street. If you get a sea view room, getting on the balcony and looking at the view is a treat for the eyes.
The room I had was fine. Clean, not too big, with a good bed, a fully equipped but a little small bathroom.
Having stayed for one night, my interaction with the staff was limited, but had a good impression. My idea is that they don't receive much professional training and their approach to customers is dictated purely by their personality. I have to say that I felt comfortable with their service. The hotel was fully booked by a large group and the staff was very helpful in keeping my many suitcases after I checked out.
My only negative experience was the breakfast. The room was far too small and the offer not so rich as you would expect from such type of hotel. Less than 8 tables (all busy): completely insufficient!
Overall, I would return, not in a heartbeat, but Grand Hotel Santa Lucia will be one of my first picks for my next trip.

4 Thank Guggo
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2010

My husband and I stayed four nights in this hotel. We had visited Naples many times prior to this trip and also had stayed at a couple of other hotels in the area. We chose Santa Lucia this time because it is an old and smaller-size hotel located in the area we really like and also because it has been receiving very good reviews in Trip Advisor. However, it turned out to be a major disappointment.

Most staff members at the reception were neither friendly nor welcoming, and one particular individual was actually rude and unhelpful. The similar thing goes to some of the staff in the breakfast room; they appear to be more interested in doing their own things rather than helping guests who need their attention.

Also, the size and quality of furnishing were shockingly different from one room to another even if they belong to the same room class. We booked a senior suite through their web site. The first room we were given (Room #209) was too small and shabby looking to be called “senior suite”. It looks as if the hotel divided a large regular-class guest room into a living room and bed room so that they can sell it as a “senior suite” at a higher rate. Also, this first room was facing elevators and located on the lower floor, even though we specifically requested in advance such rooms not be assigned to us as my husband is easily woken by noises and the hotel assured us that our request would be honoured. After a few phone calls to the reception requesting a different room, we were given the one on the fourth (the fifth in North American hotels) floor. It was twice of the size of the first one and much more elegantly and luxuriously furnished. The contrast between the two was so shocking, considering that their rates were exactly the same. Although the second room was much nicer, its carpet looked dirty and stained (fortunately, they provided slippers in the room). The shower curtain was with mildew stains, and the shower head was partially clogged and not working properly. Moreover, the sound proof of the room was not so great. We were constantly woken and kept awake by street noises (particularly Saturday night), and we could clearly hear the conversation of the people in the room above us coming through our bathroom.

The hotels provides free WiFi service to their guests, but it was mostly out of operation during our stay and, even when it was working, the connection was very unstable. The food at the breakfast was quite mediocre, and the cappuccino I had was watery and tasteless.

On the positive note, the view from the room was truly beautiful, but it was not beautiful enough for us to make up all other problems.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Viaggiatrice1988
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I have stayed at this hotel dozens of times over the last 4 decades. It has rooms with old world charm and brathtaking views of the bay. The service is wonderful. I always conduct myself as a gentleman and the staff acts accordingly. If someone has written a bad review it is no doubt because they did not conduct themselves with respect. The staff always recogonizes me by face and loves to see me. One stay I had not been there for over 15 years and the staff still remembered me ! This is the only place I stay in Naples. The vista views alone are worth every penny. You don't udate rooms of this caliber. This is a Grand Hotel and should be treated accordingly. The breakfast service on the main floor has dozens of tables elegently laid out. Ti Amore Napoli

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HIXONE
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 29 April 2010

The hotel was very nice and everything was clean. Every of the front desk and the waiters were very friendly and helpful. My room had a beautiful view over the sea and the Castle dil Ovo (I paid a bit more to get a room with a sea view but it was worth) The hotel is in the perfect location in the quietest area, a short walk from the center of town also at night.
Sightseing bus to see all the nicest spots.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled on business