“charming”

Grand Hotel Santa Lucia
Ranked #30 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 9 October 2008

I stayed here for 3 nights in September. I chose it because of the proximity to the Stazzion Maritime, where my business conference was being held. The hotel was beautiful and quaint. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was elegantly decorated. the hotel had a very charming appeal. it is right on the water and i was able to go for a run in the morning very easily, so for me it didn't matter that there was no gym at the hotel. the only thing i could complain about was that it was a little pricey (about $300/night). but everywhere in europe is expensive right now for americans.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank sfollett

Reviewed 29 September 2008

We were pleased with our junior suite on the water front. Had a spacious corner room with lovely view of castel, vesuvius, and other islands off the coast. The breakfast buffet and coffee was great and so was the service. Also room and hotel was very clean. We absolutely hated being in the city of Naples and traffic chaos but did enjoy the tranquil refuge that this hotel provided.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dufflebag
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We fancied visiting Napels - big mistake - a terribly dirty city with graffiti just about everywhere. We booked into the Santa Lucia based on the reviews on TA. The hotel was very tired, the bar was empty and had no atmosphere whatsoever - the silence not even lifted by some music! The restaurant was closed in the evening (no prior warning given at time of booking with expedia). We had a problem with no hot water in the washbasin, which was eventually fixed, apart from having a bed for the evening you may as well have been anywhere.
We also popped along to Pompei - on the train. It is worth going this way if only to experience how dirty the whole place is - just about every station is covered in graffiti along the journey. Even our train was covered in it - so much so you could not see out of the windows!. Pompei is amazing though - well worth the trip.
Nothing else to say about Naples except there are far too many beautiful and interesting places to go in the world rather than waster your time here!

Oh, and by the way, the taxi drivers try to exploit you at any given opportunity so watch out!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BlondieMo
Reviewed 19 August 2008

4 of us stayed for 2 nights at The Santa Lucia. The hotel itself was OK but showing signs of lack of up keep. Staff were polite and helpful. Unfortunately we picked the wrong weekend to stay as alot of the city was shut for holidays, and the hotel was desserted - no atmosphere at all. Naples is an absolute dump - we knew there were rubbish issues but there does not seem any attempt to clear it all. Got the impression that nobody cares about Naples which is a shame as there is alot of potential. It was a shock after spending the first days of our holiday on the Amalfi Coast. The hotel breakfast was nothing outstanding - the hot buffet consisted of scrambled egg, bacon, sauasage, carrots, peas and green beans! The veg looked as if it had been there for days. We had rooms on the 5th floor - well appointed with large beds and efficient air conditioning. Large bathroom but with a very small jacuzzi bath with shower over. The hotel overview says there is swimming nearby - we could not find any! Not unless you wish to swim in the marina and surroundings with all the rubbish floating in the water. Absolutely disgusting. If you are thinking of going to Naples I suggest the best thing to do is keep going and head out to the Amalfi Coast instead.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ClaireyEngland
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I booked a special 'family escape' from the hotel's website. We were given a beautiful suite with 2 balconies with a view of the harbour. There were pastries waiting for us. The hot buffet breakfast was wonderful - included bacon and eggs, cereal, fruit, cappuccino and hot chocolate for the kids. It was only a 10 - 15 minute walk to the hydrofoil terminal where you can catch ferries to Sorrento and Capri. Naples itself is a bit seedy, especially around the train station area, but Santa Lucia felt a world away from that. The staff were efficient. The only tiny gripe was that the sofa bed was a bit small. Beware of the taxi drivers - they hassle you. They want to drive you to Pompeii and Sorrento etc. They are very pushy.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Michelle66Canberra
Reviewed 23 July 2008

During my first stay, I was lucky to get a room with a decent peripheral view of the Bay of Naples from my little balcony. Be sure to ask for a room with a tub instead of just a shower. I stayed at the hotel at the beginning and end of my trip and the difference in the rooms with the tub and peripheral view vs. the one I had with no tub and no view was quite different even though they were the same rate. However, both were very comfortable, the room was dark and quiet at night and the front desk staff is very helpful. I should mention that I was here on a work trip (I work in the travel industry) but I would definitely stay here again if I were to travel to Naples on my own.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Azuremeg
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We had originally booked to spend the last 2 nights of our italy holiday at the palazzo alabareiri - they cancelled our booking on teh day we were due to arrive & booked us in to Grand Hotel Santa Lucia instead which although cheaper than the original hotel, in my opinion, is a far superior hotel. I was travelling with husband & 22mth daughter - we had spent 10 nights in Sorrento & 2 nights in Capri then our last 2 nights in Naples. I hadn't heard many positive things about Naples so wasn't sure what to expect - have to say I thought the city was great, very italian & traditional & nice simple restaurants.
Check in at hotel was straightforward, room on 4th floor was very nice indeed - spacious, good views of castle, quiet & luxurious. Bathroom was especially nice.

We had breakfast at the hotel -lots of variety & good quality. We didn't have any other meals in the hotel, didn't need to as so many places within walking distance that were charging half the price. If i return to Naples I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family