“A throwback to the 1970s”

Hotel Cesare Augusto
Ranked #95 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This hotel is like something out of the 1970s. Grim decor, nicotine-stained ceilings and aging fittings. The staff were reasonably friendly and the breakfast was adequate. The reception area is cramped with little room for luggage during check[-in. There was no natural light in the bedroom due to large metal shutters fixed across the windows. This is probably necessary due to the crime levels in the graffiti and rubbish-strewn town of Naples.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark_Bath_UK

Reviewed 22 September 2013

For the price you pay you could do worse . The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable and the breakfast is quite reasonable. However it is a 3 star hotel and isn't very modern . In our room the air conditioner leaked with a constant drip and the bath room was smelly.
There are a few nice bays opposite the hotel and by train it's only 20 mins into the city centre

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2013

There were some pretty tinsy-tiny little rooms.
It is quite nice because it is well away from any of the major hub-bub of the city.
There is parking available.
The kind staff let us know that there was Wifi available.
Pretty good breakfast selection.
Chandeliers and Bunk-Beds.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Despite some of the bad reviews TripAdvisor regarding Hotel Cesare Augusto, I decided to give it a try.
Reason: I was looking for an affordable hotel in Napels, with free and safe parking, as well as nearby public transport facilities.
This review concerns the two different rooms I had, since I interrupted my stay by (leaving the car at the hotel) and visiting Capri.

Arriving in hectic Napels, once near the hotel, the traffic eased a little and I had no problem finding Cesare Augusto. Signs are visibly plastered on the hotel's building, and its car park entry is also indicated properly.
When not by car, one can use code 0001 to gain access to the building (as instruction near the doorbell).

Public transport facilities are in the vicinity, and cost €1,20.
Using the trains at Fuerigrotta station, I reached Montesanto (historical center) in two stops. An alternative is to use bus 151, which I used to go to the harbor.
I also experimented with other possibilities - that is to say, I got lost in the maze of Napoli's metro/train system - by taking the metro at Lala station (requires switch at Mergellina) and the train at Piazza Leopardi.
Tip: be aware of the times of the last train/metro!

Back to the hotel.
The first impression of my room(s) is positive. It's clean, (double) bed is comfortable. On further inspection, I noticed that certain things are rather old-looking - stuff like door, toilet seat.
During my first night, I picked up some unpleasant odors. Something was not smelling nice in the room itself, and at times, cigarette smoke would creep in from the hallway. Interestingly enough, I did not experience these the next day.
My first room's toilet seemed to have a mind of its own as it regularly started rumbling. The solution was easy: I just had to switch off the bathroom lights!
In my second room - a different one - I had the misfortune of being adjacent to my neighbor's toilet, so each flush was audible.
This sound problem seems to be more general, as I could hear footsteps from one floor up - like kids running around.

In contrast to the room situation is the helpful staff.
Some of them really go the extra mile to be of assistance, like printing ferry crossing times and providing tips on what to visit (on Capri).

Summing this up, even with the appealing price (of €47,00 per night including breakfast), I hesitate to recommend this hotel.
Would I go back? Only if, again, I am by car, on a budget, intending to visit Capri, and this hotel turns out to be the most economic.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AtiBo
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We spent several days searching trhough Trip Advisor lookign at hotels and finaly decided on the Cesare Augusto and were so pleased that we did!
I'd seen in some reviews to request a high up room facing the garden as the other rooms were a bit noisy so I emailed Mario (Manager) and we were given a room on the 4th floor facing the garden. The room was huge with a seperate entrance hall that the bathroom was off and also a balcony with a coupel of chairs and a table. We couldn't see much of Vesuvius or the Bay of Naples unless you stood on a chair but then we didn't spend much time in the room so that wasn't a problem at all! It was clean and the air con worked a treat. The only drawback I would have to say was that in some mornings there was a lot of noise coming from the rooms above. It sounded like furniture being dragged across the floor so if you're a light sleeper ear plugs may be an idea!

Breakfast was lovely and when I asked for hot water (I drink peppermint tea) I was given a huge teapot, served with a smile! It's ypour usual buffet style of different breads, pastries, meats and cheeses along with bacon, sausages and eggs (both scrambled and hard boiled), yoghurts and fruit. I'm a vegetarian but there was still enought for me and all in it was a good breakfast.
The staff were all lovely and could not do enough for you. Trips were easy to arrange and if you had any questions the guys on reception could not do enough for you.
The pool is lovely and was open until 7pm while we were there but you would need to check as I think it depends. Wi-fi is a bit expensive but there are plenty of pubs that offer free wi-fi.
The hotel is in a fab and I mean FAB location - you're a 5 min walk from the town centre without any of the noise you would expect. I would definelty return to the Cesare, thank you Mario and your team!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

So you will have to get a train into the center to see anything in a guide book. Good value basic hotel with a reasonable breakfast. We stayed as part of a tour and treated finding our way on the train journey was part of the adventure - it made sightseeing a long day though and I wouldn't choose it again, despite friendly reception staff and free wifi in the Reception

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This hotel is in a very nice residential area in Naples. There are shops, bars and cafes if you come back early and fancy a drink. Leopardi Metro is 10 mins. walk away to take you into Mergellina(waterfront bars and chalets selling icecream) the line goes on to Piazza Cavour for the duomo and archaeological museum. The staff are lovely. Very friendly and helpful and they speak some english. Breakfast is Neopolitan style buffet so lots of sweet things. There is parking at the hotel as well. We had a great 5 night stay and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Naples is a fabulous city. They were dancing the tango outside the seafront bars in the evening !

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends