“Eight Week Resident”

Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte
Ranked #61 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Buon Giorno; I can give you the best feedback about this hotel and the area because I have spent eight weeks living in this hotel on two separate occasions (Nov 2012 and April 2013). I initally selected this hotel because of it's close proximity to a local hospital where I was working. Both experiences were great and I would certainly come back again. I was in room 412 which has a balcony and incredible view of the bay of Napoli and Mt. Vesuvius. The room is spacious and comfortable for extended stay. The entire staff are friendly. Most of the staff speak english but I was trying to embrace and learn Italian. Breakfast is Italian style. Keep this in mind if you come from the States. I did not have any issues with WIFI access which is a must have for me. The hotel is located on a hill tucked away in the village of Capodimonte. It's not walking distance to the centro (for the average person) where all the restaurants and touristy stuff is going on. About 2 miles to be exact. So, you will have to take a taxi to get there. The Catacombe is walking distance from the hotel and is a must see. A restaurant called Starita A Materdei is located about 1.25 miles from the hotel and is a must go eat kind of place. There's also a huge park nearby where the locals go to relax and jog or take a walk. For excusions via train, Statione Centrale is about 2 miles away. Pompeii is a must see. Hope this review is helpful to you.

Room Tip: Ask for 4th floor with balcony looking at Bay of Napoli and Mt. Vesuvius.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Salvador Z
CULTURE HOTEL C... S, Responsabile reception at Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Mr Salvador,

It’s a pleasure reading here your opinion about the Hotel!!! Especially, we are very glad to know the Hotel met your expectatives during your long staies.

We really hope to have you our special guest again and very early!

Best regards
Gucci D.

There are newer reviews for Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte

Reviewed 7 January 2013

I have read some of the reviews for the hotel and no choice but to write a comment. We stayed here at the end of may beginning of june 2012 and came back very pleased. The hotel staff were extremely helpful to us. It was a family holiday, with myself, my husband and two daughters, one of them aged 6. The wifi was free every time I used it. The room was fantastic, very nice inside, cleaned thoroughly every day! The breakfast was most impressive. With lots of variety, different types of juices, cakes, teas, coffees, cereals, cold meat, eggs boiled or scrambled, toast and bread...I can continue for a while. It was true Italian style, which to some people's taste might not be amazing ( mostly for people who require a greasy fry up every day).
The hotel itself was lovely,gorgeous gardens outside. and even tennis courts. you could sit down peacefully and read or take a walk. It's located at the top of a hill, which overlooks the entire city of Naples, this makes a fantastic view,especially at night time. It was also very close to one of the best art galleries that there is. We never got overcharged with anything, so could not fault the hotel at all. Ciao!

Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank Anna O
Letizia66, Manager at Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Dear Guest,
thank you so much for this rewarding review.

I just want to add a detail for all readers of Tripadvisor: the tennis court is not part of the Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte, but is a private property of one the neighbours of our house.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcome you back again to Naples.
Genera Manager

Reviewed 13 October 2012

Not a 4 star by any means but in a safe place of town, with a gated parking area. The hotel looked a little outdated but the rooms looked nicely updated. Nice garden area and great view from the rooms towards Mt. Vesuvius. Breakfast was nice but WiFi was expensive $10 for 3 hours. Kinda of hard to navigate through the town to get there but a nice spot, nice neighbor hood with restaurants near by. Wouldn't really recommend the hotel restaurant, pretty but took a long time to get our food and we were the only ones there. Not the best food we've had either. There was a pizzeria at the end of the road that was amazing. We ate there both nights.

Room Tip: Room with a view of Mt. Vesuvius
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Letizia66, Direttore at Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Thank you for your review. Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte offers rates which include free wi-fi as well as low cost rates "room only".
I regret to learn that you did not enjoy our restaurant, I assure you, that I will take care to understand what happened and what we may do on order to improve.
Best regards

Reviewed 27 September 2012

Here are the highlights:

Good stuff:
*Hotel staff was very friendly, polite and helpful
*Beautiful view since the hotel is very high up on a hill
*Huge beds

Let downs:
-Rude restaurant staff
-Is far away from city center, and the area has a bad reputation. We were advised to stay indoors in the evenings, by more than one person. They do offer one free shuttle bus tour in the morning, at various times each day. But the taxi going home every day will set you back a little and it felt very limiting.
-Minibar-fridge was broken. Not that we minded, but somehow feels like that should have been easy to catch had the checked it prior to our arrival. **** Gold star, the fixed it and gave us free internet to make up for it.
-Internet costs money, and breakfast is not included.
-We had ants in our room. Which the front desk staff took seriously, but the cleaning man they sent to help didn't seem to take it very seriously. He came armed with bug spray. He did his thing and left. The next day, ants still there - of course, since the seemed to live in the wall. We went back to the front desk and they sent the same man. The cleaning man looked at the ants, said "un momento" and left. We waited for over half an hour but he never returned. Finally we went back out to the front desk to ask if he was returning or not, since it was late and we were wanting to go to bed. Cleaning man was sitting by the computer taking it easy. Hmpf. ****Gold star, front desk man gave us a new executive room a floor up and was sincerely apologetic.

So bottom line. There was problems - and they fixed them! Hence, we felt okay about our stay. But was it a 4 star experience? Definitely not! If so, there wouldn't had been so many issues that had to be dealt with.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sara B

Thank you for your detailed review and for listing the highlights.
I am sorry to learn your letdowns, because there were plenty of things to do in order to improve your stay. I will check with my "friendly, polite and helpful" staff, why we did not change your room (normal procedure for complaints).
Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte offers rates including breakfast and unlimited use of wi-fi and rates "room only".
I appreciate your compliments for the view, view from Capodimonte area, on the top of the hill and outside from traffic and frenzy of the city centre.
Please, ask always for the manager, when you have serious problems with your hotel room.
See you soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

If we hadn't looked at tripadvisor then we wouldn't have known just how far out this hotel was. Most hotel sites say it's about 2 miles from the centre, which it may be as the crow flies, but wasn't if you went in a Taxi. Wasn't in a good enough area to walk around in the evening and you would have been knackered trying to walk to it from the centre in the heat of the day. It was about 15 euro in a taxi each way but the hotel offered a shuttle down to the town in the morning at 10 or 10:30 but none coming back.

As a result of this, it would have cost us at least 300 euro in taxi fares over the ten days so we moved hotels to one near the Via Toledo.

Rooms were actually quite good, clean, modern and comfortable, and the grounds were nice. Staff were generally helpful. The place seemed quite empty though. Breakfast was included in our room rate but was quite poor. Would be good for a short stopover for a night or two but not suited to a longer visit.

The restaurant was closed at lunch during our stay, so without visits to the town there wasn't much in the way of food from breakfast onwards. There is also nothing around the hotel for quite a distance for food etc.

A pool would vastly improve this hotel. The space is there and a pool is a rarity in Naples, so this would be an excellent place to relax for those that way inclined.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room with a view of vesuvius and hopefully you won't end up in one of the b...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
the location of Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte is its major plus and minus. Amazing garden, guite and relaxing surroundings, view all over the city and the sea, away from chaos and stress. Not central. In the centre you would not find conditions as listed above.
August is low season for the city of Naples, with low occupancy and low rates.
Our breakfast is composed by: 3/4 types of bread and rolls, toast, rusks, cookies, croissants, croissants with jam, croissants with chocolate, savory croissants, bundles, donuts, homemade tarts and plum cakes, 4/5 jams, honey, nutella, butter, margarine, different types of cheese, ham and sliced, canned fruit, fresh fruit, branded yoghurt, 3/4 types of cereals and corn flakes, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, bacon, coffee, tea, milk, fruit juices etc.
The restaurant was closed for lunch during the low occupancy month of august, but a snack menu was available at our Veranda Bar served in our beautiful garden.
Best regards.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

First, if you stay here, you should keep in mind that it is not convenient at all. It is very far away from any city center and requires a taxi of 8 to 18 Euros each way. If they order the taxi for you, the taxi will try to charge you 18 Euros. If you can catch a taxi on your own, it costs between 8 and 10 euros and even more on Sunday.
This place is run with the sense of a scam. First: the mini-bar was filled with empty bottles which they then charge you for. I brought the state of the mini-bar to the attention of the staff on Day One. They assured me it would be rectified but it never was and they still tried charging me 8 Euro per empty bottle for a whopping 56 Euro bill on check out.
Second: they charged me for a day trip to Pompeii but told the Pompeii company that we had insisted on paying cash. The touring company would not take us home until we paid cash. I am currently reversing the credit card charge through my company, but this is a good example of their behavior.
Third: They tell you breakfast is on the veranda whenever you are ready, but on check-out, we were handed a bill for 175 Euro. They charged us 20 euro per day for breakfast without saying a word. Everything else (the 5 Euro per hour internet, the overpriced and terrible dinners) had a charge on it, but the breakfast was an unspoken scam. Seriously, 20 Euro for a hard boiled egg and canned fruit? And to add insult to it all, the coffee tasted like watery folgers.
To make matters worse, their cleaning staff threw away some of our belongings -- mostly toiletries but wine and food as well -- and then asked me if I was missing my toothbrush (for instance) and offered to sell me another one for 5 euro. It was insane.
I am a pretty well-traveled person. I have lived in 4 countries and visited almost 30. Yet I can say summarily that this is the creepiest hotel I've ever stayed at. The constant disingenuous lying and overcharging for everything made each interaction with staff a trying affair. The fact that they consider themselves to be four star is especially terrible.
Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Watch out for the vomit stains on the carpet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meredith G
Letizia99, Direttore at Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Your review had my best attention. You may take a look to former reviews of Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte in order to have a complete idea of our location and services.

Taxi fares are not determined by hotel staff. Taxi companies suggest different solutions from Capodimonte (panoramic and “green” zone of the city of Naples) to City Centre: if you put the taximeter on, the fare ranges from 8 to 25 Euros depending on traffic, week day/end, day/night-time, luggage; if you choose the flat rate, the fare will mandatory be of € 12 extras and luggage included.

The mini-bar bottles were filled with water by the former guest of your room, we apologize that our housekeeping staff was not able to recognize this, but the bottles were well-taped. We took care of this problem as soon as you reported it and cancelled every charge on your bill.

The excursion company accept credit cards for reservations until 24 hours before the trip. You were informed about by Front Office staff (it is also written on their brochure) ! You asked to pay by credit card again directly on the bus, and were escorted to a money machine (bancomat) by the driver.

Your reservation was a “room only” booking. You are frequent travellers, so you know that this means that breakfast is not included in your rate. We regret that our breakfast buffet was not to your satisfaction ; that’s why we deducted you 3 of 8 breakfasts token. Our breakfast buffet (€ 10,00 per person) is composed as follows: 3/4 different types of bread, biscuits, 3 types of brioches, “krapfen”, 2 different home-made cakes, 6/7 different jams, honey, nutella, butter, diet margarine, margarine, 3 different types of cheese, 2 different types of cold cuts, fresh fruit and canned fruit, natural and fruit yoghurt, 3 different types of cereals and muesli, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon, 3 different types of fruit juice, fresh milk, low fat milk, mineral water, tea, american coffee, espresso/cappuccino, as well as items for celiac and diabetics.

Your dinners had an average charge of € 11,50 per person (1 course and beverage), I believe this to be a reasonable price for a four star restaurant. Our food is ALWAYS freshly cooked and prepared with fresh raw materials.

I queried personally our housekeeping staff regarding your belongings and I was answered that they remembered well bottles of wine in your room, that were half empty and NEVER token away. Nobody did ever talk to you about the price of a toothbrush.

Trusting that the above explanations are to your satisfaction, be assured of our constant attention to all guests wishes and expectations.

Please enjoy travelling!

Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed one night before travelling down the south coast. The staff were really friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious, clean and quiet. The beds were huges and comfortable. We ate in the restaurant where the waiter was very pleasant and the food good.The continental breakfast was plentiful and with lots of choice. The garden and grounds were very attractive. We would have liked to have stayed more nights and explored Naples and the nearby park. We would go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Letizia99, Direttore at Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Thank you for your appreciated review.

We look forward to welcome you soon again in our Oasis Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte.
Best Regards