“Exactly What We’ve Been Looking for All Along & We Would Definitely Return”

Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte
Ranked #63 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I’ve traveled to Naples on business regularly for the last decade and we are always searching for a hotel that can accommodate our needs, which can be many. Most tourist area hotels do not really care that much – Villa Capodomonte does. The Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte is exactly what my colleagues & I have been looking for all along. It has the perfect combination of comfort, well appointed rooms, quiet location, decent food and a staff that is simply second to none. We (four American business travelers) stayed here for two weeks and we will definitely be returning if / when the need arises. Definitely an outstanding value based on other hotels I've stayed at.

I selected this hotel based on a TripAdvisor review of a person who had also stayed here long term (2 months). Like him, I also stayed in room 412. There is nothing special about this room, it just worked out that way. His review is spot on.
I cannot say enough good things about the hotel staff. They were very accommodating, friendly, and bent over backwards to help us in getting taxis, laundry, photocopying, dinner, restaurant recommendations, etc. Our business required us to leave well before the normal start of breakfast service. However, for a fee, the hotel provided us with full, early breakfast service & it was a lifesaver. We tipped well - they appreciated it and returned service in kind. I know they would have given us good service regardless of the tipping. After work, we would gather in the salon and have drinks. The staff would always make sure we had plenty of little snacks (peanuts, olives, cheese, crackers, fancy finger sandwiches, etc.).
Rooms & Grounds. We stayed on the top (4th Fl) – ocean views. Nice views w/ balconies. The other rooms were nice too. I don’t think you would go wrong w/ any room here. The hotel grounds were lovely & enough for walking around to explore but not too much to get lost. Decent views of the bay & Vesuvius. Lovely flowers & flowering trees.
Vehicle Parking. We had a minibus for a vehicle (carrying 4 people, luggage & equipment). Finding a place to put a large vehicle is always a problem in Napoli. The gated / secured parking at the hotel was a lifesaver. Hotel parking alone is almost impossible to find in Napoli & they had sufficient room. Leave the car keys w/ the reception desk because they may have to move the cars around to fit in as many as possible. However, it never happened to us.
Location & access. This would be the only drawback, although minor in my opinion, but I am used to Europe. The hotel is adjacent next to an old tower (Torre del Palasciano), visible from the city of Naples or Tangenziale highway. It is about 10 – 15 min drive to the airport, door to door in free traffic. For those used to wide streets, accessing the hotel may be a challenge. It is accessed by very narrow streets which the Italians navigate w/ no problem. We noticed that every car parked on the streets was sideswiped. The hotel is a little remote from the downtown action and restaurants. If you need to access downtown, have the hotel call you a cab - they arrive within 5 min of calling. Either negotiate the price before you get in or make sure the meter is on.
Food: The hotel restaurant, Moriella, has decent food, catering to English speaking guests. Service is outstanding. Once we eat here a few times, we had our fill. For the adventurous, the local street off of Via Capodimonte (main road) has a few pizzerias / trattorias & small shops to get food. It’s a 5 – 10 min walk but well worth it. We ate at Pizzeria Trattoria Luisa 3x.

Room Tip: Executive rooms on the 4th (top) fl, seaside. You'll pay a little extra. All rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Nick D

Reviewed 20 September 2013

I suppose I picked a hotel in Capodimonte because I wanted to see the Museo di Capodimonte (even though visiting the Museo Archeologico and re-visiting Pompeii and Herculaneum were the primary reasons for my visit to Naples). It is convenient for the museum, not very much so for anything else. It's a long, hot walk down to the city centre and an even longer and hotter walk back up again.

I really do like this place, however. The staff are very friendly and helpful; within minutes of my arrival, I was given an annotated map of where to go in Naples and how to get there. There is a shuttle-bus ("navetta") from the hotel to the Archaeological Museum, but it's only one way. The C63 bus goes as far uphill as the Capodimonte museum, which is an easy walk from the hotel, but, apart from one time when I walked up the hill, I was lazy and took taxis. If they're official taxis (white), they're trustworthy. They're not particularly cheap, but they do have to spend an awfully long time sitting around in the atrocious Neapolitan traffic.

Because the Hotel Villa Capodimonte is a long way from the centre, you're not tempted to go out at night. There really isn't anywhere in the vicinity that is worth visiting. Luckily, the food in the restaurant is very good. Unlike another reviewer here, I certainly didn't find the restaurant staff rude. They just tend to leave you alone, until you attract their attention.

I had a huge room, which was a bit difficult to keep cool. I never really worked out the air-conditioning, which seemed to come on more or less at random (that could just be me, since I'm not used to air-conditioning). Whenever I was in the hotel, I left the window and French window wide open (and, no, the air-conditioning wasn't controlled by whether or not the windows were open). Even though it was a ground-floor room, it had a sort of moat and lots of spiky bits to deter burglars.

The room had a safe, which I used for holding anything which I wasn't going to need around the city. If you use an audioguide in Italy (as in Spain), you'll be asked for an ID card as a deposit. Since we British don't have ID cards, that means, usually, either your passport, or your driving licence (the Museo Archeologico accepts a deposit of 20 euros, as well); my recommendation is to leave the passport in the safe and to use the driving licence, since you don't need that to get back into the UK. You do, however, need to be very careful when closing the safe. Most safes of this sort require that you enter a number first and then confirm that. This one doesn't. It takes whatever number you enter and expects that same number to open it again. If the input number is wrong, you really need to recall whatever that wrong number was, if you want to open the safe again.

The bathroom wasn't terribly well put together; whoever put the shower cubicle up wasn't an expert on geometry. On the other hand, the bathroom was spotlessly clean, as was the bedroom in general. The humidity was such that I got through shirts at about double the rate I had planned for. The laundry service returned them in a beautiful condition.

I think that this hotel is best for tour-parties, who can share the cost of getting to and from the centre, or to and from the Piazza Garibaldi. As a solo traveller, I spent quite a bit on taxis, but, even so, I enjoyed my stay.

You're right under the flight path from Naples Airport here, but I don't recall that that kept me awake. The first night, there was a colossal thunderstorm; after that, there were fireworks every night, but I slept soundly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Owen_Morgan
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Naples can be an overload on the senses. It's large, noisy and fast pace. We spent one night at Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte in July. We were on our way home from two weeks in Italy. The Naples airport has limited hotels in the area. The Hotel Villa Capodimonte had clean, lovely decorated, and large rooms (larger than most European hotels) . The staff was very helpful with arranging our early morning taxi (5:00 am) and calling the local pizza place for take-out. The staff placed the order for us and had it delivered. We ate a lovely pizza outside on the balcony overlooking Naples and the mountains in the distance. A beautiful end to our vacation. We also had an overflowing glass of wine at the bar. The wine came with goodies to enjoy with the wine.

Overall, if you are going to stay in Naples this is a lovely gem, give it a try.

A noteworthy reminder....most Italians will not drive in Naples. The streets are very narrow (pull in your side mirrors) and traffic is crazy! If you crave an adrenaline rush drive to the hotel; otherwise, take a cab.

Room Tip: City view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MilenaSteve
Reviewed 22 June 2013

May a not expensive **** hotel be the best in Naples?
I guess Villacapodimente hotel is the best in town because of the following reasons:
- big, confortable, quiet and elegant rooms
- kind and efficient staff
- marvelous garden
- good position
- excellent restaurant
What else?

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Massimo T
CULTURE HOTEL C... S, Responsabile reception at Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Guest,

many thanks for writing your opinion about the Hotel. We are glad your stay at Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte was good and our facilities met your expectatives: we always do our best to make guests feel at home.

What else? Seeing you again in our Hotel!!!

Best regards
Gucci D.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

The hotel is in an excellent location high above the bustle of Naples and has fine gardens and views of the Bay. Staff are always courteous and most helpful. It provides transport in an aged mini-bus to the city centre although taxis are preferred to public transport for the return journey. These are relatively inexpensive. (Charges can vary between drivers so care is needed to agree a fixed price!). My Room was excellent and well appointed. It was well maintained by domestic staff throughout my stay. The breakfast was more than generous with a choice of a hot/cold buffet. There was an ample opportunity to sample the sweet delicacies of the area or else concentrate on the more savoury alternative. The evening meals taken were of a good standard.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mavxs
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Villa Capodimonte has a superb position in the green near the major art gallery and park. This medium size hotel has its own lawns and terraces with splendid views over the city and the bay. Staff are young cheerful and efficient. Rooms are very spacious - two double beds in each - some with private balcony and all with extra furniture.. The restaurant , with the fountain playing just outside the picture windows, serves good sound menus at midday and in the evening and the breakfast is fabulous. Access is through a 550 metre long narrow street, best left to the taxi-drivers, and the journey down to the historic centre is best achieved by using the hotel's free shuttle or calling for and sharing a taxi (inexpensive in Naples); The ideal place for a long stay, much quieter than downtown ( apart from occasional aircraft), and good for rest days in the garden or on your balcony Anthony

Room Tip: It is worth paying a little more to have a balcony with view of the bay
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anthony E
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Excellent Hotel 8 minutes walk from Capodimonte Palace. The pictures do not do the hotel justice, it is an oasis of green and calm in a busy city. Friendly English speaking staff, clean large rooms and good value breakfast & dinner. Free parking on site, Free shuttle to downtown seems to go at the time the first booker chooses, so if you want your time - get in first. Taxi return from Opera House/Royal Palace is E8.50 on meter. If driving, try using 'salita Moiariello rather than 'via' (Tomtom satnav). And yes, it really is down that very narrow cobbled street round the blind bend at the end.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple