“A nice place to stay, more good than not”

Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte
Ranked #69 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 28 December 2010

This is a very nice hotel. The location may seem not so good to some, to us it was fine. It is about 600 meters to the nearest bus stop so if you can't walk a quarter of a mile you might not want to consider this.

The rooms were really nice, clean and quiet. The roof of the hotel features some spectacular views of Naples and Vesuvius. It's a wonderful place to just eat some bread cheese and wine from right down the street. Also a pretty decent pizza place and a pastry shop.

Everything Naples is minutes away by bus (for some reason they don't charge for you to ride?) or cab. Don't let the cabbie screw you. Agree on a price before. From city central you should not have to pay more than 7 Euros.

The staff is extremely nice and accomodating. The grounds are very nice. All in all I would say a very pleasant place to stay.

If I had a suggestion it would be what about breakfast? First of all it is not included, secondly it is over priced and really not very good. The restaurant for dinner is decent but not outstanding.

It's minutes away from the Capodimonte Mueso which is very very good.

I feel very comfortable recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank noogs1
Letizia33, management consultant at Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice and detailed review of our hotel!
We appreciated the compliments. Your suggestions and complaints will have our full attention.

Hotel Villa Capodimonte offers a free morning transfer service to the historical centre.

Rates including breakfast and rates room only are on all major travel web sites. The price for our cold buffet breakfast is of Euro 10 per person.

Trusting to welcome soon again tripadvisor's travellers at the Villa Capodimonte, we remain with our best regards.

Letizia Tancredi
management consultant

Reviewed 21 March 2010

we selected this hotel because of 3 reasons: free parking on site, the view and the quiesence.

As other have reported the latter is a bit disturbed by the incoming airplanes (BTW: NAP airport is close to every Naples hotels as the aiport is in the city) and also the access to the hotel is a tight and uneven street.

Yes the food is overpriced as in most hotels in Europe, Italian restaurants especially in the South usually use the menu only as reference. For a full meal with a courses and drinks (wine, water) they'll charge you finally between 25 and 30 EUR/person regardless if you had 5 courses or 2, a bottle of wine of 2 beers... remember this in places without a written menu and missing prices!

We once walked to city centre daytime (!) which was fine but upstairs it's exhausting in the summer heat....

Still the advantages outbalance the disadvantages for my understanding and the rates (75-90 EUR/night with BF) will give you a great value for a relaxing Naples visit. A pool would make it a perfect place!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joe1968
Reviewed 11 November 2009

First of all, I’ve got to say this is a nice hotel. Probably not the best 4-star I've stayed in, but the rooms are of a good standard (although the air-conditioning is very noisy - I was moved 3 times before I was put in a room with air-con that didn’t sound like a washing machine on spin-cycle), the are staff very helpful and the food pleasant. However I need to warn travellers of a security issue that I experienced.
Part of the charm of the hotel is that it is nicely secluded in a quiet location down a dead-end lane with wonderful views. However, if you arrive at night (I arrived at the hotel by taxi at around 10pm) the roads leading to it are very dark and narrow, and like many hotels this one has an automatic gate to the road that is closed overnight.
As it is the only hotel in the area all a thief needs to do is wait for a taxi to go down these dark lanes with someone in a suit in the back of it – they’ll almost certainly be staying at the 4 star hotel and therefore probably have some money on them. There is nowhere for a taxi to go when you’re down the dead-end lane and you have to get out of the cab to ring the doorbell for the gate opened - you’re in a very vulnerable situation. As it happens, these particular muggers didn’t wait for me to get out of the taxi – they followed us down the lane on a scooter, one of them pulled the taxi door open straight after we pulled up outside the gate and pointed a gun at me demanding my wallet.
I came to no harm, I cancelled my cards very quickly, and my company got me home the next day, but I’m convinced that I didn’t do anything to put myself in harms way other than arrive at the hotel late in the evening.
Beware!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank ds44
villacapodimonte, Direttore at Culture Hotel Villa Capodimonte, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2010

Dear Sir,

following your bad experience, in our hotel (november 2009), we are to inform you that we have install many cameras along our street that are check 24 hours a day from the local police.
In additional, we have, every days, a private police. How you know, Neaples is a metropolitan city like Rome, Milan, Florence and while in all the big cities can happen this kind of situations;
from last year, when we have provide to equip us, our zone is became very safe and quite.
Hopeful that one day you can check with your eyes all that we have already do, wee send you our regards.

La direzione

Reviewed 18 August 2009

The Villa Capodimonte is a lovely hotel with lovely rooms. The Executive room we had booked (because of a “stay three nights and pay for two” offer for that level room) had two good double beds. We had stayed there in 2001 and decided to return because of the blessing of being able to drive there directly (via the airport) without driving through Naples. The hotel has a shuttle van on weekends that takes guests into Naples and one can return via two buses (and a very long walk) or by an expensive taxi.

BUT being fairly close to the airport, the sound of several flights each hour until around 11 PM were very loud and very disturbing. There is a very long walk to public transportation (perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 mile) and the museum. We had to switch rooms because the air conditioning wasn’t working in our first room and the a/c fan in the somewhat cooler second room would wake the dead.

And there are no nearby restaurants, so you are really stuck eating at the hotel. The food is so-so, and the lovely garden dining room was closed two of our four nights and we ate in the closed-in lower level room and the service was far from good. Because we waited an hour for our pasta one night, the entrees were burnt, and we were overcharged for each substituted course, we were told we wouldn’t be charged for the dinner -- but it was on our bill, at the inflated prices. We refused to pay and finally the amount was subtracted.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chandolin
Reviewed 27 July 2009

The hotel is excellent and a great value for money. You can even stay at the wonderfull garden without hanging around dirty and dangerous Naples. However, should you decide to move to the city, taxi is required especially on your way back. And this means 12-20 euros for 5-10min drive. Also don't expect that the Naples taxi drivers will charge you a flat rate. It really depends on their mood - can easily differ 100%.
So it is an excellent choise if you can move by bus or have a friend to drop you by.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike1973024
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 24 July 2009

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 25 June 2009

As a solo woman traveller arriving at Naples Airport in the evening after a 24 hour long trip and needing to return to the airport the next day for a transfer to Caserta, I was a little anxious about finding a hotel that met all my requirements : safe, close to the airport, restaurant service, offering peace and quiet. After reading the TA reviews and visiting the hotel website, I thought I had found the right hotel. But it was the communications with Mr. Taranto in Reservations that really showed that this hotel goes the extra mile in offering excellent, personalized service that really caters to guests' needs - a truly welcome change from many places in Italy which seem to specialize in indifferent, surly service. In the end, I was offered a lift from the airport to Caserta so my stay at the Villa Capodimonte will be deferred to another occasion but it is definitely on my list of places to stay.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business