“Oh Heck No!”
Review of Luna Rossa Hotel

Luna Rossa Hotel
Ranked #93 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We changed our trip according to my neighbor who's wife is from Sorrento. "Naples is so awesome! You'll have the best time". Now Im from "the hood" and I locked my own damn doors. We couldn't find the hotel on the GPS. When we finally went down some random streets, I saw the sign. It was a road our car couldn't even fit down. No parking whatsoever! AND it was in the middle of a "favela". I've heard the stories of getting robbed in Naples AFTER we'd gone, but this neighborhood was dirty and ghetto. No one could ever speak of the US's ghettos in a negative manner again. It smelled like hot butt! We were so frustrated and it was so nasty that we didn't even stop to stay. We just drove away...I took that hit of no-show payment bc it just wasn't about to work for me. BLECH!

Room Tip: choose hotels by the water. do NOT go into the more busy downtown. it is not for you. watch your val...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 November 2012

The hotel is Napoli with all of the noise, confusion, craziness but filled with great warmth. It is located on a side street from the train station that could be a bit of a cultural shock if you are not accustomed to a certain earthiness. I have been to Napoli many times and find it refreshing to be a part of it all.

I was greeted by warm staff. My room was though not fancy, was a decent room with a comfortable bed on the second floor directly over the street which I prefer. I like to hear the sounds of the city. A small but adequate bathroom with large towels. A good working tv with lots of stations.

The staff were always cordial, friendly and very helpful. I did not have the breakfast except for the last day, which was ok,a continental breakfast we would call it. I usually prefer to go and sit outside at a cafe and watch the people.

The area near the hotel is the Forcella market which might feel a little scary and dirty to many but it is alive with all kind of street vendors, fishmongers, and even a shop to buy saddles and other equestrian items. Just go early in the morning when there is lots of people at the market and not when they are closing in the afternoon. It is a great place to make real street photos.

My stay at the Luna Rossa was very comfortable . I certainly will return again. Every day during the Hurricane the staff asked me how my son was doing back at home in NYC.

Thanks Luna Rosa for making my stay fun! Oh, yes I forgot each room is named after a Neapolitan song.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for one on the inner courtyard. Also, the wifi only works up to the r...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Senta S
Reviewed 10 October 2012

The hotel has definitely seen better times - only the lobby is kept in a fairly representative shape. The rooms, however, are tiny and in 80's style, poorly cleaned (a thick layer of dust on certain items, such as the phone) and a smelly bathroom covered with black mold (definitely not healthy!). It wasn't a pleasure to have a shower there.
The area around the central train and bus station in Naples is a shady neighborhood where you wouldn't want to go out, esp. at night. It's about 1km west to a better area, but you might want to take a taxi to get there.
This hotel is ok if you are on a tight budget and want to spend the night just before taking a bus/train early the next morning - but not recommended for longer stays.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. Although the plaza directly opposite is under going severe renovation, the central location, the wonderful staff and pleasant rooms make up for any inconvenience. I left my mobile phone here and organised the following day to pick it up upon my return to Naples. I am writing this positive review as I believe that honesty and helpfulness should be rewarded.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Hotel was nice. They were very accomodating and were able to change my reservation from 3 to 4 person room. The rooms were very spacious and clean. Hotel was nice. Area around was kind of shady though.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Tucked away in the corner of a narrow, dirty and scary looking street just of the main piaza Garibaldi (where all the busses and trains are) this hotel is ideally located for touring the city on foot, getting the train or bus out and within walking distance of the ports for Capri. It has hot water, blankets, a TV with English channels and a little restaurant (if you are really desparate) which you don't need to use. Although Piazza Garibaldi is undergoing a face lift and can be a little confusing to look at, there are plenty of lovely restaurants and street food stalls around to ensure you are never hungry.

Having seen the write up's I was worried, but given how much there is to see in this area, you would be mad to spend any more time in the hotel room than is necessary...if this is your plan, pay more.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces away from the courtyard as the sound echoes around it making the rooms a litt...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Katie187046
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I stayed at this hotel June 2-June 5. There is a woman receptionist who speaks English well, but lacks Enthusiasm. Breakfast says it is between 7:30 and 9:30 but at 9,:00 they told me to 'hurry up' when I came down the stairs to the breakfast room. They serve one simple thing: a croissant, juice, and cappuccino. They don't have any idea on how to go places, like which bus to take to go to museums. They don't offer any extra service, such as posting post cards for you. They are not overly friendly. The carpets are stained everywhere and the automatic hall lights don't work unless you wave your arm in the air so the sensor can catch it.
Internet service was supposed to be 2 euros but the woman receptionist tried to overcharge me. Be careful.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo