“An ivy-covered oasis of tranquility in the bustling city of Naples”
Review of Hotel Casanova

Hotel Casanova
Ranked #101 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Bedford
“An ivy-covered oasis of tranquility in the bustling city of Naples”
Reviewed 9 May 2009

I have been staying at this family owned and run hotel for 9 years now.
The ivy-covered main entrance is located at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac
just 10 minutes walk from Naples Central station. As a result, it is a
quiet oasis near the centre of the bustling metropolis with excellent
transport links to all the archaeological sites on the Bay of Naples. While
breakfast is not included, there are many cafes and restaurants nearby, as
well as local grocer shops on the same road. There is also a good
supermarket within 5 minutes walk on the way to the main central station. I
would not hesitate to recommend this accommodation as a secure, cheap and
clean hotel. I had previously stayed at three other hotels in Naples
before Hotel Casanova, but on the last eleven occasions I have holidayed
there. This has been at different times of year, both by myself and with my
wife and son, and I have never experienced any problems. While the
neighbourhood is ethnically diverse, surrounded by traditional, rather than
modern, Naples-style apartments and small community-oriented retail
outlets, I have always felt safe. Unlike some budget hotels, I have
found the Hotel's rooms to be spacious and clean. Importantly, for Naples,
they are quiet enough for a good night's sleep, and most are with on suite
shower facilities. In fact, during my last visit these were almost as large
as the bedroom themselves. In particular, I have always found one of the
managers, Giuseppe Arzillo, to be very friendly and helpful, with a good
command of the English language, and he is the best to talk to if you have
any enquiries about staying in Naples. Overall, highly recommended as
alternative budget accommodation for those not seeking a luxury hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank Decurion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I stayed here for 2 nights in the beginning of July, 2008, with my husband. We had a room with a bathroom. I understand that you can choose to pay less for a room without a bathroom.

The room was small, but very clean, and with high ceilings. It was very quiet, I think, because we were right in the middle of the hotel. I read another review where a guest complained of noise. That surprises me, thinking of my own experience, because it was actually one of the quietest hotels I've stayed in. The walls are thick, and we were in the middle of the hotel, and did not leave any windows open. I suppose when booking, you could request a quiet room, because I had no problems there.

Obviously it's not a luxury hotel- in fact it's the cheapest hotel I've ever stayed in in Italy. I was thrilled to find a hotel at this price, because we were travelling Europe for 5 weeks and really draining our bank accounts!

The rate we payed for the hotel room was 55 EUR a night.

There was a public room upstairs with a computer that guests could use to access the internet for 30 minutes at a time, for free. This was great. I think that this was located in the breakfast room, although we never had the breakfast, so I'm not sure. And I don't know if breakfast was included in the price or not.

The location is good, and bad, depending on how you see it. It was good for us because it was in walking distance to the train station. However, it is in a seedy part of town. It seems to be an African immigrant ghetto, actually. So yes, there are poor people and street people, and garbage in the streets. But I felt safe the entire time- then again, I was always with my husband. Perhaps I would not stay in this part of town as a single female.

All in all, I was really happy with the price, and the location, and the cleanliness.

Just remember that you have to give them your room key when you go out, so that they know that they are expecting you to come back later. This is something I've noticed throughout Italy. You have to give your room keys to them, not put them in your purse. Otherwise, they might think you are in your room, and they might not leave anyone at the front desk late at night if they think all the guests are in their rooms. For us this is very important to know, since we go out until around midnight.

We will be staying here again in June 2009 for 2 nights because we want to hike Mt. Vesuvius, and check out Da Michele again (the best pizza in the world, I believe!). Actually this hotel is about a 15 minute walk away from Da Michele, if you are interested in going there.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
France
Reviewed 5 July 2008

It was such a relief to come to this place after staying a couple of days at a stuffy hostel near the station overlooking the noisiest market in town! Simple, clean and spacious rooms with all modern conveniences for a very decent price, free internet, and peace and quiet at night ! Hotel Casanova is a family run hotel close to the train station, nested in a dead-end street with a double entrance, one on the main corso and another on a back street, which gives it a particular charm. Giuseppe, the manager, and his staff, true napolitani, were very kind and gave me a warm welcome. They were always ready to help out and gave me the best tips to go around town and enjoy beautiful Campania. The pretty pictures hanging on the walls give you a foretaste of what the region has to offer in terms of amazing sightseeings. There are plenty of cafés and shops nearby and the most delicious pastry shop just across the door! Naples is Naples and the area around the train station might not look the poshest in town but don’t let yourself be put off by your first impression, the location is safe and you’ll have the best of time ! If I ever go back to Naples I’ll stay there for sure, definitively « casa mia » in Napoli !!!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank CallipygeduSud
England
Reviewed 15 January 2008

The worst place I've ever stayed in.
I've stayed in Naples before (for my sins) and chose this hotel for it's location, near to the station. The area was worse then I remembered, however.
We arrived at the hotel through the back entrance off the main street. You go through a small courtyard, surrounded by residential buildings and the hotel to the right.
The hotel staff were very friendly, despite what it says in one of the guidebooks. Although, they did say it would be quicker to get about town if we use dthe front entrance. This took us out into a side road, where there were mountains of rubbish, people laid on mattresses on the street and needles everywhere, along with a smell you could taste. Not great.
The room was small, with furniture that moved everytime we left to go out (we seemed to have only one table when we arrived, and four by that evening). The toilet was down the hall, as was the dribbling cold shower. The water from the tap in the room was yellow. The fan lazily spun, giving no cool air.
At night the noise was terrible. The local residents of the courtyard outside did not want to sleep, nor did their dogs.
Don't bother staying here.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Trying to sleep
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank inquestescarpe

Travellers are raving about these Naples hotels