“Lovely panoramic breakfast room in an ok hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Eden

Hotel Eden
Ranked #148 of 190 Hotels in Naples
Trondheim, Norway
“Lovely panoramic breakfast room in an ok hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

The third location during our honey moon was Naples, and we stayed at this hotel for 2 nights.
The hotel is very near to the central station, so it's easy to walk there even with bulky luggage, and you can reach the whole city from the station fairly quickly.
The area is not very clean, but that's a wide-spread issue in Naples. There is some drugs smuggling happening right in front of you, but we just tried to turn a blind eye, and nobody bothered us. Just keep a low profile!
Do be careful when you cross the road, don't assume that cars are going to stop when the traffic lights is red, or on a zebra crossing. Also, better not flash around valuables.
The service at the hotel was ok, no major complaints, it was within boundaries of decency, but nothing really worth to be highlighted.
The room, sheets, bathroom and towels were clean, but some weird smell was coming from the pipes in the bathroom. It got better after letting a lot of hot water through the pipes and ventilating the bathroom, i guess the room hadn't been used for some time.
The room was decently sized, with colour tv, and a frigobar which was locked. The window was large, but not much light came trhough, as it was overlooking a small yard between the hotel itself and a block of flats, so it was a bit dark. The window was very easily accessible from this little yard, so we didn't feel like leaving it open for too long.
The breakfast room is on the fifth floor, and it's fantastic, the best part of the hotel! It's very panoramic, you see the Vesuvio and almost the whole city. Breakfast was ok, croissants, cheese, juices, jams, honey, bread... There a smiling lady (the only smile we saw from staff) who makes you coffee, cappuccino or americano with an espresso machine.
We would recommend this hotel as it is conveniently located near the station, and it's a decent 3 stars. If you travel on a budget and are not after luxury, just go for it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Delfina71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sorrento, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2011

If you've never been to Naples before, and don't know much about it, I will STRONGLY advise you to NOT STAY IN THIS ENTIRE TOWN/CITY. If you value your life, the lives of your friends and family, and the people who think you are out touring Italy free spiritedly, you will NOT COME TO NAPLES. Naples is the poorest urban area in Italy, and by poor I mean hookers on every block, drug deals happening right in front of you, child beggars/thieves, pickpocketing right before your eyes, trash and garbage everywhere (I felt like I was walking through the slums!) and its perfect breeding grounds for human trafficking, that I have ever witnessed in a developed country. I wished someone had of told me about it before I WASTED hundreds of Euros between the train fares (118 Euros!) and the hotel room, that I didn't even stay at, at the Hotel Eden.

I checked into the Hotel Eden and was told that the room was 70 Euros, and there is internet, but there was a charge, however, you can use their computers and get online for free. I told the guy that I really needed internet, and I don't have to have it in my room, I'll bring my laptop down here or use their computers if necessary. I needed to book the next leg of my trip that night.

Saw the room, it was good enough, nothing to really get excited about, so I told them I'll take it. I went and dropped my stuff up in the room, then left to look for dinner, at some pizza place but I couldn't find it. However, I did get a little lost and saw some really shady business, almost got ran over by these crazy drivers, and was completely prepared to get mugged in full daylight. I even left my passports and important stuff at the hotel, just in case they stole everything I had on me. Was gone for 30 minutes, came back to room, sat in here for about an hour, trying my best to get the internet to work. Then spent the next hour deciding whether I should stay or leave this place. I wasn't going to go back out there again, not after all of the bums, the people selling fake Louis Vuittons, sunglasses, and everything else that China makes was shoving it in my face, oh and did I mention that everyone looks at you like they are evaluating if you are worth their time to jump you for your things? I grabbed my things went downstairs and told them I'm leaving and here's my key.

They asked if I paid for it, and I said no. Besides the cockroaches that were crawling up the walls, and hanging out in the light fixtures, (I was willing to deal with that for a night), I was not going to stay because there is no internet here like I was promised. I told them I was there for 3 hours, and the internet has not worked the entire time and I need to leave and find another hotel. This time it was a different guy, and he raised all hell about me needing to pay for 3 hours wasted in a seedy hotel. I told him, it's not fair that I pay for an entire night, when my main concern was that the internet was available. Then after 15 minutes of fighting with him, and paid the 70 Euros, and made my way out the door, all of a sudden the owner of the hotel comes to the door, and yells at me in Italian, and the manager of the hotel runs out of the door asking me to give him the key to room back, and if I need it when I get back in tonight, he will give it to me. I said no, I'm not giving you the plastic key to the room, when who knows if he'll just boot me out on the streets for the night EVEN THOUGH I PAID. I'm telling you, this is a SHADY HOTEL in a very SEEDY TOWN. The owner starts yelling at me in Italian to give back the key, I'm talking about YELLING at me, and I kept telling him that I don't understand what he is saying, and he starts pushing me, PUSHING ME, and grabbing my luggage and trying to snatch my cell phone out of my hand. At this point I've had enough and start yelling at him back, and then he hits me twice more, and after the 3rd time, i started hitting him back, and pushing him off of me, and trying to keep my things from being taken. I pulled the stupid plastic card out of my purse and gave it to them, and then the OWNER PUSHES ME AGAIN, and starts yelling in some gibberish Italian, as he walks back into the hotel. He kept saying he's going to call the polizia, and I'm like, YOU'RE THE ONE HITTING ME! I was ready to call the polizia except I had no idea what their number is, if he had of pushed me to the ground.

Nonetheless I left Naples in a quick hurry. I am charging back that hotel stay, and getting my money back. This is the 5th hotel that I've stayed at in my tour of Italy, and NO ONE has ever treated any of their guests this way. Besides the horrible experience, the hotel "appears" to be clean and nice. The reception and lobby smells like urine and heavy smoking. The maids look like they were up to no good. The noise level is sooooo bad! You hear everything! And I don't need to mention that there is no lock on the windows that have semi-balconies that anyone can WALK right into your room. And the needless to say, the front desk people will accost you, apparently.

Room Tip: Make sure you look at the room first.
  • Stayed May 2011

Travellers are raving about these Naples hotels

Budapest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

We spent 3 nights in Hotel Eden. It is a family hotel with nice rooms. Our room was big with clean and modern bathroom. Breakfast area is on the top floor with view Vesuv. First day we visited Vesuv and Pompei. The train is just 2 minutes walk from the hotel. The city centre is a bit far from it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

I would recommend this hotel to travelers who simply want to be very close to the Naples train station. We stayed there because we were getting in late at night on the train from Rome, and wanted to be able to walk from the train station. The area is a bit seedy at night, and my traveling partner was a bit nervous walking the few blocks from the train station at close to midnight. The hotel itself was clean enough, and the room was relatively nice. Staff was friendly, and the breakfast was fairly good. Wood stay again due to the convenience, and nice, clean room. It was next to a fairly busy road, so it was pretty noisy throughout the night. It didn't bother me much, but did bother my traveling companion. You do have to pay to use their computers and internet, but it is cheap and there are two computers available for use.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

I'll start with the location. The Hotel Eden is in one of the poorer areas of Naples. We chose it because it was the nicest looking hotel within walking distance of the main train station. It is also very close to restaurants for eating out. Yes, the surrounding area was noisy and crowded and full of people who wanted to sell us stuff, but a firm 'no' seem to suffice with that. As with other cities in Italy, be extra careful dodging the traffic when crossing the road. Drivers don't seem to like to stop for pedestrians, even at pedestrian crossings.
The hotel had been very nicely refurbished, our room (at the front of the hotel) was actually quite large, as was the bathroom. All very clean too. We had two balconies which was very nice, although it was a little noisy with traffic noise. The breakfast wasn't the best, but comparable to all the other hotels we stayed in, and seeing as it was included in the price we thought it was okay. Overall, we actually thought this was one of the best budget hotels we stayed in during our Italy trip. We booked through venere.com.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
Ironbridge, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2008

Used up all my airmiles for a free long weekend break so we had lower expectations than normal. The hotel was clean and the maid was efficient and that's it. It is close to the train station but this is an area that was very dirty and very noisy - there was the sound of traffic all night. All the areas of interest are some way away too.

We could also hear the room next door (luckily for us he didnt last long) - but you can hear everything!! It is also very smokey in the reception area.

Book this hotel for one night as it is close to train station but dont book for longer periods - you'd be better off nearer the port. There are also limited places to eat nearby, unless you like Mcdonalds and chinese!!

We do not recommend this hotel at all!!

Top tip....take ear plugs!!

• Liked — The maid kept the room clean and tidy.
  • Disliked — the location, smoke, noise, breakfast, too far from main shopping areas, dirty area.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank simon11101