“A little bit old, but location is good and it's value for money”
Review of Hotel Eden

Hotel Eden
Ranked #152 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Me and my husband ended up in Hotel Eden entirely by chance. We were supposed to check in to another bnb at Rome, but missed our train stop and ended up at Naples. So we looked around the train station vicinity for a hotel.

The location is NOT the best place to stay in Naples, especially at night. Traffic is heavy and there are loiterers around the station vicinity. And cos of the noise, it can be difficult to sleep at night (especially for us, since we prefer to open the windows).

Room is surprisingly big (for the price -- it is actually the cheapest hotel stay we had during our trip (90euros)), bathroom was also big. And the hotel has a nice glass lift that looks very modern (as compared to some of the more aged looking furnishings in the room)

Breakfast is average, served at the top floor of the hotel (nice view of the distant mountains). Recepts were very friendly and helpful.

No wifi, and we were told that even with the paid wifi, the room wifi's reception is bad. So we didn't bother to try. There is a signage for an internet point at the lobby, though we didn't use it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelEdenNAPOLI, Direttore at Hotel Eden, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Dear Sir. /M.me

thank you for your message.

Was a pleasure to host it in our Hotel.

We are pleased to learn from his words that the room was to his liking. For the wifi we have resolved that if he will return to us will not have problems to connect, even from the room.

We hope to have the pleasure to see you again soon

Regards
Manager

There are newer reviews for Hotel Eden

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I chose this hotel for its price and its location a couple blocks from the railway station, and was not disappointed - it's a very short walk from the station. I understood why my room's single window was shuttered when I opened the window and shutters to look out onto an alley smelling of garbage. The hotel has Internet service which must be paid for, but when I arrived this was down, reportedly for several hours, and I didn't inquire about it later since I had data on my smartphone. The continental breakfast at the rooftop restaurant was fine. It was nice to have a view during breakfast, though as that view is from the fifth floor of a building near Naples' train station it's nothing to take your breath away. I'd stay here again if I were just passing through.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mwehle

Dear Sir. / M.me

was a pleasure to host you in our Hotel.

From his words we can have both positive and negative notes. Thank you anyway for having expressed so that we can fix and make our guests' stay more pleasant and comfortable.

We hope to have another opportunity to host you
Regards
Manager

Reviewed 17 July 2011

Strong points:
Price, breakfast, lift, close to railway station, helpful staff
Weak points:
Bad street (a bit dangerous), noisy, shower and beds not very good

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We had a reservation for 4 nights in Naples in a hotel called Grand hotel Europa. However, as we arrived to check in, the clerk told us there had been a problem with water and he had to send us to Hotel Eden next door for one night. I have read that this is actually a common scam particulary in Italy. They overbook small hotels and "force"you to spend a night in a less comfortable, and of course, less expensive hotel. This is absolutely what it felt like to me. I had payed for a room with A/C, balcony and flat-screen TV. Instead we got a bathroom with black mold on the walls etc. And a view of Naples famous garbage problem. The clerks at reception do not speak english, which actually to me starts to seem is quite common in Italy. Wi-fi does not work in rooms. Street noises can be hear to room easily. This hotel is overall not nice, I cannot recommend it. I will add a few pictures of the room, they tell their own story.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2011

The third location during our honey moon was Naples, and we stayed at this hotel for 2 nights.
The hotel is very near to the central station, so it's easy to walk there even with bulky luggage, and you can reach the whole city from the station fairly quickly.
The area is not very clean, but that's a wide-spread issue in Naples. There is some drugs smuggling happening right in front of you, but we just tried to turn a blind eye, and nobody bothered us. Just keep a low profile!
Do be careful when you cross the road, don't assume that cars are going to stop when the traffic lights is red, or on a zebra crossing. Also, better not flash around valuables.
The service at the hotel was ok, no major complaints, it was within boundaries of decency, but nothing really worth to be highlighted.
The room, sheets, bathroom and towels were clean, but some weird smell was coming from the pipes in the bathroom. It got better after letting a lot of hot water through the pipes and ventilating the bathroom, i guess the room hadn't been used for some time.
The room was decently sized, with colour tv, and a frigobar which was locked. The window was large, but not much light came trhough, as it was overlooking a small yard between the hotel itself and a block of flats, so it was a bit dark. The window was very easily accessible from this little yard, so we didn't feel like leaving it open for too long.
The breakfast room is on the fifth floor, and it's fantastic, the best part of the hotel! It's very panoramic, you see the Vesuvio and almost the whole city. Breakfast was ok, croissants, cheese, juices, jams, honey, bread... There a smiling lady (the only smile we saw from staff) who makes you coffee, cappuccino or americano with an espresso machine.
We would recommend this hotel as it is conveniently located near the station, and it's a decent 3 stars. If you travel on a budget and are not after luxury, just go for it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Delfina71
Reviewed 21 May 2011

If you've never been to Naples before, and don't know much about it, I will STRONGLY advise you to NOT STAY IN THIS ENTIRE TOWN/CITY. If you value your life, the lives of your friends and family, and the people who think you are out touring Italy free spiritedly, you will NOT COME TO NAPLES. Naples is the poorest urban area in Italy, and by poor I mean hookers on every block, drug deals happening right in front of you, child beggars/thieves, pickpocketing right before your eyes, trash and garbage everywhere (I felt like I was walking through the slums!) and its perfect breeding grounds for human trafficking, that I have ever witnessed in a developed country. I wished someone had of told me about it before I WASTED hundreds of Euros between the train fares (118 Euros!) and the hotel room, that I didn't even stay at, at the Hotel Eden.

I checked into the Hotel Eden and was told that the room was 70 Euros, and there is internet, but there was a charge, however, you can use their computers and get online for free. I told the guy that I really needed internet, and I don't have to have it in my room, I'll bring my laptop down here or use their computers if necessary. I needed to book the next leg of my trip that night.

Saw the room, it was good enough, nothing to really get excited about, so I told them I'll take it. I went and dropped my stuff up in the room, then left to look for dinner, at some pizza place but I couldn't find it. However, I did get a little lost and saw some really shady business, almost got ran over by these crazy drivers, and was completely prepared to get mugged in full daylight. I even left my passports and important stuff at the hotel, just in case they stole everything I had on me. Was gone for 30 minutes, came back to room, sat in here for about an hour, trying my best to get the internet to work. Then spent the next hour deciding whether I should stay or leave this place. I wasn't going to go back out there again, not after all of the bums, the people selling fake Louis Vuittons, sunglasses, and everything else that China makes was shoving it in my face, oh and did I mention that everyone looks at you like they are evaluating if you are worth their time to jump you for your things? I grabbed my things went downstairs and told them I'm leaving and here's my key.

They asked if I paid for it, and I said no. Besides the cockroaches that were crawling up the walls, and hanging out in the light fixtures, (I was willing to deal with that for a night), I was not going to stay because there is no internet here like I was promised. I told them I was there for 3 hours, and the internet has not worked the entire time and I need to leave and find another hotel. This time it was a different guy, and he raised all hell about me needing to pay for 3 hours wasted in a seedy hotel. I told him, it's not fair that I pay for an entire night, when my main concern was that the internet was available. Then after 15 minutes of fighting with him, and paid the 70 Euros, and made my way out the door, all of a sudden the owner of the hotel comes to the door, and yells at me in Italian, and the manager of the hotel runs out of the door asking me to give him the key to room back, and if I need it when I get back in tonight, he will give it to me. I said no, I'm not giving you the plastic key to the room, when who knows if he'll just boot me out on the streets for the night EVEN THOUGH I PAID. I'm telling you, this is a SHADY HOTEL in a very SEEDY TOWN. The owner starts yelling at me in Italian to give back the key, I'm talking about YELLING at me, and I kept telling him that I don't understand what he is saying, and he starts pushing me, PUSHING ME, and grabbing my luggage and trying to snatch my cell phone out of my hand. At this point I've had enough and start yelling at him back, and then he hits me twice more, and after the 3rd time, i started hitting him back, and pushing him off of me, and trying to keep my things from being taken. I pulled the stupid plastic card out of my purse and gave it to them, and then the OWNER PUSHES ME AGAIN, and starts yelling in some gibberish Italian, as he walks back into the hotel. He kept saying he's going to call the polizia, and I'm like, YOU'RE THE ONE HITTING ME! I was ready to call the polizia except I had no idea what their number is, if he had of pushed me to the ground.

Nonetheless I left Naples in a quick hurry. I am charging back that hotel stay, and getting my money back. This is the 5th hotel that I've stayed at in my tour of Italy, and NO ONE has ever treated any of their guests this way. Besides the horrible experience, the hotel "appears" to be clean and nice. The reception and lobby smells like urine and heavy smoking. The maids look like they were up to no good. The noise level is sooooo bad! You hear everything! And I don't need to mention that there is no lock on the windows that have semi-balconies that anyone can WALK right into your room. And the needless to say, the front desk people will accost you, apparently.

Room Tip: Make sure you look at the room first.
  • Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 14 April 2011

We spent 3 nights in Hotel Eden. It is a family hotel with nice rooms. Our room was big with clean and modern bathroom. Breakfast area is on the top floor with view Vesuv. First day we visited Vesuv and Pompei. The train is just 2 minutes walk from the hotel. The city centre is a bit far from it.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel