“Oh dear....”

Ranked #146 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Helsinki, Finland
“Oh dear....”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Ok so I'm a budget traveller. I book hotels based solely on price and nothing else. My husband and I have always done it like this and have usually been pleasantly surprised but not this time. We booked this hotel for 10 nights as it was super cheap and the location next to the train station seemed great too as we wanted to use it as a base for exploring the city and getting connecting trains and Metro. I swear I slept for a maximum of 2 hours a night for the duration of our stay. Initially we were quite please when we saw we had one of the few rooms with a balcony/terrace. On the first night it because clear that this was a very very bad thing as we shared the terrace with the hotel bar which was next to our room. The walls are paper thin so we had to listen to the drunken revellers next door in the bar and also the drunken people right outside our room door on the terrace. The terrace looks out onto a shard inner courtyard and the building on the other side is not part of the hotel, but regular locals' apartments. We were woken up every morning (if we managed to fall asleep at all) by a woman starting her day yelling along to the tv broadcast of religious songs. The hotel itself is in pretty bad shape and has an air of given-up-ness about it. Our rooms door was hanging off the wall and there was around a 1cm gap all around it where the insulating building material was hanging out. Within five minutes of arriving I had locked myself in the bathroom and I went in, closed the door behind me and the handle came clean off in my hand. It was not even screwed in! I've slept in some hell holes so a bit of peeling paint doesn't really bother me, but this place honestly looked like it was falling down. The shower room was a death trap. On the wall near the skirting board was a plastic cover panel which was hanging off. When we looked closer we realised it was full of electrical cables and much as we tried to keep it on the wall, every time we had a shower water unavoidably sprayed into it as the shower curtain didn't reach all the way round. Pretty dangerous if you ask me but I'm no electrician. We only ate breakfast one morning out of 10 because to be honest it was hideous. I wish I'd taken photos to be honest because no one would really believe it was breakfast. There was a bowl with a few dried up bread rolls, a tray of ham slices, a bowl of cornflakes with no milk to put on them and a pot of coffee. That's it. Really. And the icing on the cake was the waiter in the "dining room" who was happily slicing more ham with one hand while wiping his dripping nose on the other sleeve and coughing profusely. No thanks. I could go on and on all day listing the things wrong with this hotel. People...just don't go there. Spend a few € more and get a good nights sleep somewhere else. I gave it 2 stars; one for the location and the other for the price but they were the only two good things about this hotel.

Room Tip: If you must stay here do NOT accept room 24! It's next to the bar and shares it's balcony wi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karingal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Toulouse, France
Reviewed 11 July 2014

AC does not work .. Since it's on the road if you open window it's too noisy and worst part the Mosquitos. Staff not friendly . In all NO sleep.
The only good thing is it is very near from station Napoli centrale.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Prachi119

Travellers are raving about these Naples hotels

Glenmont, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The room was very basic but clean and the beds were comfortable which allowed a good nights sleep. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was satisfying and after that they let us leave our bags at the hotel after we checked out so that we could walk to the museum.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 16 June 2014

hotel ideal is basic but very very clean , I was looking to stay the weekend in Naples and didn't want to spend too much and i am glad I found this place.
The rooms are basic with bed wardrobe and flat screen tv, small bathroom, but absolutely spotless the building is old interesting and quirky which I loved. breakfast was included which was a continental breakfast. there is also a small bar which was open every afternoon- evening.
staff were very friendly and help full. location was excellent for getting around on train metro or bus. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 44 nice room courtyard facing small bathroom , still nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank t a
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 7 nights in a room that seemed to be much smaller than others. WiFi only in the lobby or in the reading room means these places often got very busy!

Facilities in the room all worked and were ok but only on the last night we had a sudden ant infestation and I got a few bites! Would've told hotel but as we were leaving in the morning saw no point.

Breakfast downstairs was of a limited range and was distinctly average, but there was at least no chance of running out.

Must note that the staff seem to be incredibly hard working - often saw the same guy working breakfast and bar shifts and always with great service and a smile, plus other staff were also very cheerful and helpful.

Right by the train station so good location to not travel far - but the piazza is having a big renovation currently so its just a big building site right now, imagine it'll be a lot nicer when finished.

Didn't love Naples as a place - especially as someone staying in the hotel got mugged a few roads over, also we saw other people on the same street as ours in tears clearly having had the same happen. All this made us fearful to leave the hotel so please beware!! It can be very common there apparently and more so at night.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark G
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I used this hotel for 01 night. I would not recommend it even for 01 night as transit.
It is definately not 3star hotel, not even 2-star.
Hotel is very shabby, dirty, with terrible smell in the room and bathroom. Bathroom is fully covered with mould creating disgusting smell.
Beds are not comfortable and very old.
Breakfast-just bread, 2slices of old cheese and smelly instant coffee.
Overall atmosphere- feeling like in shabby hoStel, not in 3star hotel
Location-150m from Garibaldi Centrale railway station, but noisy outside.
This is the worst hotel I have ever experienced, although was not expecting much

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Oktogo.ru

4 Thank Natalia x
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights as part of a tour arranged by a British company so had no choice of hotels. However, this was a very disappointing hotel. The rooms were shabby, dated and very small. The hair dryer was in the bathroom right by the shower curtain which was extremely dangerous. The view outside through the small window was of rubbish dumped and it was noisy in the early morning when the dustmen came.
The area by the station is not particularly safe and our tour guide had her handbag stolen from a street just round the corner from the hotel in the early evening, so don't take valuables out with you (but there is no safe in the room). The hotel staff were not very helpful to our guide who was shaken and upset by the theft of her bag.
The bar and lounge area are quite pleasant and the breakfast was acceptable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends