“Good, Safe Bet in Naples”

Montespina Park Hotel
Ranked #31 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We have used the Montespina Hotel many times for business while in Naples. For this particular trip, we spent half of our time there on business, and half of our time on vacation. So, our review of the Montespina is a bit biased by some facts: we get a corporate rate while we are there, we stay there enough that the owner and staff know us and give us amenities other may not get (i.e. – no cost upgrades to the bungalow suites), and we are very familiar with the area and restaurant scene, so it makes our life in the area much easier – especially with a car.

The Montespina is located near downtown and is a completely gated property, which is important in Naples. Additionally, the hotel is situated on top of a hill, which helps separate it geographically from the rest of the city. Naples has a well-earned reputation for being a “tough” city – it is a good idea to use caution if you plan to stay in Naples for any length of time. The traffic and driving habits of the locals are beyond insane – for the uninitiated, driving in Naples may be the worst experience of your life. The crime is rampant in certain parts of the city. One of the major organized crime families in Italy is headquartered in Naples, so there is a tendency to have things like you car stolen. The haphazard street layout can be extremely confusing, so we do not recommend trying to navigate in the city without a GPS. The public transit system is overcrowded and a bit sketchy. If you do not rent a car, you will be left with expensive options to get from the airport to the hotel. If you do rent a car, you are subject to all the issues we noted above. So, if this has not scared you off from going to Naples, read on.

Frankly, there are nicer hotels in Naples. We use the Montespina because our company gets a corporate rate from them, they are safe and clean, and they provide an adequate level of service for the money. Getting to the Montespina can be a bit of an adventure, regardless of how you get there. If you rent a car, make sure you have a GPS and program the address in before you travel to Naples. Having said that, the GPS may dump you off on the wrong side of the hotel, which means you will be at the bottom of a large hill with no idea where to go. For that reason, we also recommend printing some maps of the area around the hotel to “help” your GPS. Once you find the large iron overhead gate for the Montespina, drive up the way a bit and use the intercom to gain access to the hotel. If you take the train, well, good luck. The train is not really a pleasant ride into the city and the nearest station is a pretty good walk from the hotel (think 800 meters to 1 kilometer – straight uphill). So, if you take the train, you will probably want to get a cab up the hill… if you can find one. Lastly, taking a cab all the way from the airport is an option, but it is costly, so be prepared. We will assume you have a car.

One benefit of the Montespina is that it has a large amount of safe and secure parking and there is no charge for parking. Obviously, free parking at any hotel is nice, but the fact that the parking lots at the Montespina are controlled by a gate makes them even better. The hotel has a number of rooms inside the hotel, but they are somewhat small and the climate controls and amenities in them are sometimes lacking. We pretty much always stay in the bungalows near the pool. Once you are checked in, it is a short walk outside through the garden/pool area to reach the bungalows. The bungalows all have a walk in foyer which has a coat closet and a place to drop you shoes, etc and usually the bathroom entrance is straight ahead. The bedrooms are spacious with a large queen bed and a collection of useful office furniture. Each room has its own AC/heat unit. Wifi is available for free in the rooms, though sometimes we have had some issues with speed/connectivity, so take that into account if you require internet of a high quality of service. We did find that, when the connection in the room was lacking, the wifi connection in the main hotel area was usually pretty good. There are toiletries and towels available, but they aren’t that great. When we stay for business, we usually bring our own towels (like most places in Europe, they don’t have washcloths). In the end, you get a fairly basic room, with basic amenities, but, if you only need that, it is a good place to stay due to the security. We would point out that the rooms are a bit outdated and the beds are not all that comfortable and some rooms do have climate control issues, so, caveat emptor there. We were lucky to get a good room on this go around.

The restaurant is actually quite good. Breakfast is included with the room and is decent. It consists of a continental buffet with cold meats and cheeses and you can get eggs to order and espresso drinks to order. The wait staff is friendly and helpful and will pretty much get you anything you ask for. Dinners at the hotel are a nice sit-down affair and the waiter is a great guy we have spent many nights chatting with and watching football on tv with after dinner. Usually there is a choice of a fixed menu or a la carte. The menu does change frequently, so there is a decent variety for a long term stay. Compared to other restaurants in town, the hotel is a bit pricey, but it is decent and convenient, so if you are there for a while, getting dinner there every few days is worth it. For a short stay, venture out and check out some of the other great restaurants in town. The pool at the Montespina is open in the warmer months and usually has a fair amount of people using it (people do pay to come use the pool during the day), but it is large and we have not found it to be so crowded that there was not space available on the lounge chairs. Fair warning –like many places in Europe, swimming trunks are frowned up (“speedos” are preferred, due to sanitary reason) and everyone MUST wear bathing cap to swim.

We do recommend the Montespina and we give is 4 stars – in this case, like many other reviews we have written, the 4-stars are not indicative of a “4-star hotel” – we are merely saying that, in their price range, the Montespina does deliver an above average experience. They deliver what they advertise, which is all we should ask when visiting a property. Set your expectations correctly, and you will probably enjoy your stay at the Montespina.

Room Tip: upgrade to a bungalow room
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Steph_Richardson

Reviewed 9 February 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently,it was out of season so very quiet but we were made to feel very welcome from the minute we arrived.
we were greeted by Salvatorre and Paula who could not have been more obliging and helpful.
our room was very clean as was the rest of the hotel,in the evening we enjoyed drinks in the bar area before dinner in the hotel restaraunt.Food excellent.
We were served by Guseppi the bar man/waiter who was extremely efficient,friendly and very helpful advising us of the local sights.
We would strongly recommend any-one to stay there , its very good value for money with great staff. well done ,jacquie and paul Trout.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul T
Reviewed 17 December 2012

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW! I am warning you...if you stay at this hotel, expect to be very disappointed!

The beds are terribly hard and instead of using a queen mattress they use two twins together, which was extremely noticable during the night when I tried to sleep. The pillows are barely thicker than 2 inches. Stacking them on one another really didn't offer much support either. The rooms are hot, even when you kill the radiator. So, if you like your room cooler, you're out of luck. I literally slept with no blankets on and sweat the entire night. Well, slept is a relative term. It's hard to sleep at all in those conditions.

My first room (a bungalo) was infested with ants and earwigs, which I didn't find out about until the middle of the night when they started biting me. I was moved to another room in the main hotel the next day, where I was subjected to more ants for the remainder of my visit.

The sewage system does not adequately keep the smell from permeating throughout the room. I figured it was a water trap problem and constantly poured copious amounts of water down each drain, but it did not help. Whenever I was in my room, it smelled like a waste treatment facility.

While some people like antique furniture, the "antiques" they use for a wardrobe and dresser are barely functional. Good luck having to use them for two people who each have a suitcase worth of luggage.

The TV in the room does have hundreds of channels, but they are all in Italian. Yes, that is expected in Italy but a hotel that services NATO members on a regular basis would be wise to provide at least an English channel or two, in particular BBC or CNN.

They offer free wifi, but everyone will tell you it is a total crap shoot. The first three days I was there it did not work. On the 4th day, I was finally able to log on with the assistance of a VPN service back to the States. Odd work around, I know, but it was the only thing that allowed me to connect to their wifi system with my iPad. Even then, it was beyond slow and my wifi bandwidth testing application registered the speed at 2kb/sec. I suggest you bring your own internet service, like a 3G phone.

You will hear EVERYTHING going on, not only in adjacent rooms, but in rooms down the hall. It is comparable to staying in an open bay barracks. The walls and door serve only as a privacy screen and little else.

The door automatically locks when you close it, so if you step outside of your room without your key, you'll need to get the front desk to open it. It didn't happen to me...that is just an observation. The main hotel rooms require you to carry this massive block attached to the key. The metal rings are soldered together so expect to the whole contraption to take up an entire pocket when you leave your room. The bungalo rooms are all electronic key card operated.

The water pressure in the bungalo was terrible; barely enough to shower with. The pressure in my room in the main hotel was good. Others in the main hotel reported similar water pressure to the bungalo.

I am sure the pool is a nice touch during the hotter months, but since I stayed in December it was a non-factor. The dining rooms are decent. The breakfast they offer is OK...nothing to brag about. The staff I encountered was friendly. If you book through an online website, do not expect to get an invoice when you check out. They only provide invoices if you book directly with the hotel. Oh, and you will have a surprise tax of 3 euros per day, which they do not tell you until you check out. They do provide an invoice that that. It is close to Agnano and downtown so getting to restaurants is fairly easy.

I expected SO much more from this hotel. I could not have been more disappointed. I'm not sure who in their right mind would say this is a 4-star hotel. I've stayed in 2-star hotels that were far superior to this one in every way. You've been warned...if you stay here, you are defintiely a glutton for punishment.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank heathalvarez
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Excellent overall experience
My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend in September and we loved it. The staff was very helpful and friendly giving us great advice on what to see.
I loved the pool and the garden, it just felt the perfect place to relax after a full day of sightseeing, that in Naples can be quite stressful!
Having free wifi was great, it allowed us to get organised.
We hired a car and the free parking was an unexpected bonus.

Room Tip: I had a room near the pool and I would raccomend it!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We chose this hotel because we wanted a pool and we had a hired car. We spent 3 nights there at the beginning of a fortnight holiday in Puglia and the Amalfi coast. It is very odd. The good points were the room (we had ordered one with a balcony) and the pool - magnificent. But - even though it was the end of August - the hotel was empty. We dined in the restaurant on only one occasion and we were the only customers. The hotel is a fair distance from Naples centre ( don't even think about driving a car there) and is situated in a very depressing neighbourhood, devoid of restaurants & cafes.

Room Tip: Recommendations - don't hire a car in the Naples area, forget about a pool, find a good hotel on...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This is a nice hotel and it is like a resort hotel by the sea but it is on a mountain top. Quite far away from the city center and the sea. Room quality is very good. Everything is there, you will not miss anything. Quite modern. Sat TV, balcony, green land, view, etc. You will like this place.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TErdengi
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed in the Montespina Park Hotel for 6 nights because I attended a conference at approx. 2 km from the Hotel. The interior of the Hotel is very outdated. The rooms are humid, the shower was very small. They offer free internet, but it is not working.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The restaurant is good (basic but good breakfast, decent/good dinner).
The Hotel is on top of a hill and I am sure that it was a really nice place ... long tme ago ...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business