“Basic Hostel in a good location”

HI Hostel Naples Mergellina
Ranked #142 of 184 Speciality Lodging in Naples
Wellington, New Zealand
“Basic Hostel in a good location”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here 5 nights and I was overall impressed. The reception staff were always helpful, and provided me a map of Naples with instructions on how to get toPompeii and Herculaneum.

It is located right behind Mergellina train station on the main Metro line to Napoli Centrale Stazione which made getting round Naples easy. There are also some great pizzerias not far from the hostel.

Breakfast was minimal but tasty and for me, the portion of Croissant or Cake was enough. There is free wifi which was good, but a little sketchy.

All in all I am happy

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Korean first
Parma, Italy
Reviewed 21 May 2014

And I'm not a fussy traveler by any means! My hubby and I stayed in August when the room was intolerably hot so we had to do a MacGyver move. There was no screen on the window so we had to make a makeshift screen out of a sarong hung in front of the window, then we stacked the tables on top of each other and put them in front of the beds so that we could place the tiny fan on top of it for a little ventilation. The lobby is nice, but once you go up the stairs and into your room, the interior is reminiscent of an abandoned office building from the 60s. Make plans for breakfast outside of the hostel. Let's say that portions were "economical". Wifi is fine in the lobby but really more like wishful thinking than a reality in the rooms. The saving grace is that the housekeeping was on top of their duties. However, we were determined to move on. When we decided that we didn't want to stay our entire reservation, we asked if it would be possible to check out earlier. We were assured by the person at the desk that there would be no problem, and dubious of his quick response, I double-checked by asking again if there would be any problem getting refunded for what we had paid, to which I was reassured would not be a problem. The person at the desk the next morning said that we couldn't get a refund, and an e-mail correspondence ensued between the hostel, HI and us in which the hostel negated any responsibility to provide us with correct information about an earlier checkout and we never got a refund for the extra night that we wished to spend elsewhere. I'm also not sure why there is a pool and fitness center listed for this location...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Naples hotels

Roma
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I have been in this Hostel two different times only for two nights but for both experience I can tell that all is less expansive than other Hotels and very clean.

The position of the hostel is on a little mountain on Mergellina (a place of Naples) and it is very near from metro station and from the sea.

With bus and metro (bus and metro stations are near te Hostel) you can visit all the principal Naple's monuments and you can eat all the fantastic and better Italian food (Pizza and Pasta) that you could find.

RECOMMENDED

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Falchetto79
IL
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This place is fairly good. the rooms are small and private ( we were a group of 8) with private baths. the rooms smelled weird thought - we couldnt figure why. breakfast is meh - a croissant and coffee - they could do better.
There is free wifi though!

Overall this isnt a bad place - for the price.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Chemboy
canada / uk
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I stayed here for 1 night during the week in June 2012 - I arrived a early for a group trip and had a night to kill in Naples. The rate (28.50Euros for a single, ensuite room) was fantastic though I wasn't expecting much after reading these reviews.

I was pleasantly surprised - this is a basic but thoroughly adequate hostel immediately 2 minutes walk (uphill) from the metro station. It's a huge building that would suit large groups. Rooms are spartan but clean with hot showers. My room had a bunk bed and a window from which I could see the water. I rented a clean towel for 3Euros and had a basic but filling meal (spaghetti, salad, drink) for 8.50 in the cafeteria. Wifi didn't work for me and I missed breakfast - so sorry, nothing to add there.

Positives: Really cheap. Easy to get to on public transit. All the basics covered. Quick walk to the marina for gelato.

Negatives: You walk through a slightly sketchy tunnel to get here from the metro station (note: there's an easier way, but you won't find it your first time) - so i would not recommend women travelling alone (like me) try to get there on foot after dark. Wifi didn't work. On a hot night, with no fan/breeze, the bedrooms can get pretty stuffy and hot.

Room Tip: There is a small lift, so higher up is fine. My room (127, i think) had a great view of the harbour.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank canuckabroad10
Melbourne
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The rooms are like a hospital but worse, and smaller. beds very uncomfy. We have stayed in some great hostels in , this was not one

• Stayed September 2011
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My only positive comment about the Mergellina is that it's not dirty. It's definitely dingy though - clearly it's been many decades since the place was last renovated, and everything feels old and grey and run-down, especially in the common areas. The rooms themselves are OK, I guess, but they have a bit of an army barracks feel, without any of the personality or comfort that more modern hostels try to provide. The whole place also smells - really strongly! Overall it's not the sort of place you look forward to returning to after a long day.

In terms of location, at first I thought staying outside the centre would be a good thing - I was a bit spooked by all the horror stories about Naples - but in fact I never felt unsafe anywhere in the city so the hostel's middle-of-nowhere location became annoying. The Mergellina area is nice enough but there's not really anything to do there, and it's a pretty long trip to the centre of the city - you can either walk for about half an hour or take the extremely slow metro, which mostly drops you a long distance from the places you want to visit. The hostel is on a hill and it's a big climb to get there from the piazza and the metro station, which makes going out to grab snacks or something a chore. (There were some vending machines in the foyer selling chocolate etc, but they didn't work.)

Budget travellers haven't taken HI seriously for years because they keep on endorsing run-down, poorly located dumps like this one. HI have been completely overtaken by the growth of independent hostels, which are almost always a better option for travellers, and definitely so in Naples. After two nights I left and moved to a much, much better hostel in the centre which cost only a couple of euros more. I won't specify which hostel it was because it'll look like I'm the owner trashing his competition, but honestly, look in the guidebook of your choice and it'll list half a dozen better options than the Mergellina.

[Update on one of the previous reviews: the wifi is now free but it works for about 10 minutes before dropping out for 5 hours. I eventually stopped bothering with it and just used 3G on my phone.]

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo