“eat the pizza, skip the hotel”
Review of Hotel Rex

Hotel Rex
Ranked #17 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Amsterdam, New York
“eat the pizza, skip the hotel”
Reviewed 10 August 2010

The only good thing we came across in our 3 days in Naples was the food. The hotel looked beautiful on the surface. Very modern and crisp looking. The rooms were very small though. I traveled with my 3 brothers (age 19-24). We spent 2 nights here and I wanted to leave before the first night began. We arrived mid afternoon and took a nap before dinner. I woke up looking at a 3 inch cockroach on the wall. I had to get the bellman from the front desk to come take care of it(he vacuumed it up) and then apologized, saying it was because of the ocean. From my understanding though, cockroaches do not swim. It was there because Naples is the dirtiest city I have ever been in (and I have traveled a lot!) Europeans are afraid to use air conditioning so when we arrived in our room, the windows were open (no screens). The front desk controls the AC and turns it off everytime we left the room. I was in the room later that evening and saw another cockroach run across the floor under my bed. I went to the lobby crying. The same bellman gave my brother bug spray which he fumigated our room with. I'm surprised we didn't die from inhaling chemicals but I didn't see anymore cockroaches until the morning we were leaving. We talked to other travelers and unfortunately they said this was the best hotel in the area. If it weren't for the bugs I would have been able to enjoy this hotel much more. They say you either love or hate Naples. I tried my hardest to love it but the garbage and dirtiness of everything made it difficult. I loved everything about Italy except this. Naples did however, have the best food we had while traveling (Rome, Venice, Naples) in Italy.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hungarian first
Ploiesti, Romania
Reviewed 15 June 2010

The hotel is verry well located, the room was big and very comfortable, the staff is more than helpful and polite. It also has good value for money. If there is something to improve i think is the breakfast services. In conclusion we had a verry pleasent stay in this hotel and we recommanded it to all tourists that plan to visit Naples!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Romania
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Spent 3 nights at Hotel Rex and had a wonderful time in Naples. Unfortunately, we were not given a room with a view (which I had asked well in advance), so we had to cope with a noisy, street-side ground-floor room, which made it quite difficult to get some sleep. This left aside, the guys at the reception were always friendly and ready to help. Breakfast OK. The two netbooks in the reception also came in handy. Shower a bit outdated. All in all, worth a visit, clean and conveniently located.
Grande Napoli! Avanti ragazzi!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 1 March 2010

We only stayed for a night and unfortunately during a lobby and breakfast room major renovation, but the efforts of the staff to balance the inconviniences really deserved commendation. The rooms are small and clean, however recently renovated with clean and bright bathroom. The property is within few minutes walk to Palazzo Reale and Piazza Publiscita. I really suggest that any car rental plans are abandoned as Naples is a serious trouble in both parking and driving aspects. Hotel Rex has a contract with a nearby garage, which for a fee of EUR 18 per night provides 24 hours parking service. Wi-Fi free internet is available only in the lobby area, not in the rooms.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
PA, USA
Reviewed 21 November 2009

Hotel Rex in Naples, Italy is a real find. The location matched my desires exactly; it was perfect for exploring the city, close to lovely restaurants and coffee bars and best of all was just steps from the boulevard along the sea.

The hotel was very clean and the staff efficient, pleasant and helpful. The area around the hotel as well as the hotel itself was safe and very friendly to visitors in the city. Hotel Rex is well worth the price to establish a base to explore the Naples area.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We had booked to stay at the Hotel Bellini and they contacted us at short notice to say that they had a burst pipe so we moved our booking to Hotel Correra 241 which is Rex's sister hotel but there was an issue with another party extending their stay so we were bounced over to this hotel. I put a lot of stock in TA reviews so when I saw this was ranked in the 80s I was not best pleased but on arrival we found nice clean hotel, with friendly helpful staff located in one of the nicer areas of Naples. Walking up to the main areas of Piazza Dante and the historical area will take about 20 minutes and its straight up the main busy roads so no need to feel worried about walking around. Also located near the port so easy access to the tourist attractions in this area as well as the Ferry port for day trips to Sorrento and Capri. The hotel is located near Via Santa Lucia where you can find find a few shops and bars and restaurants.

The room it self is basic but comfortable and breakfast is the usual continental type you will find in Naples, Croissants and jam basically with coffee but this is served via room service in the hotel Rex, you fill out your order the night before and state what time you want it delivered. All in all a pleasant stay in Hotel Rex. We moved up to Piazza Dante area for the second part of our stay and although we enjoyed it there too the area where hotel Rex is situated is probably considered a nicer area.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spicyhippo
Los Angeles
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I am a Los Angeles native,but lived in Naples fo 11 years. I returned to visit old friends and see again the beautiful city. My reservation at another hotel was not pleasant so a quick e mail to the Rex took care of everyting. We moved and spent the last few days
being well cared for.