“Not suitable for elderly vegetarians”

Ristorantino dell'Avvocato
Ranked #108 of 3,166 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I went there this evening with my wife and octogenarian vegetarian parents. It was my fault really... there are very few vegetarian items on the menu. The young man who looked after us was very kind and did his best to deal with guests who must have seemed eccentric and out of place. The starters were really fantastic -- the amuse-bouche was brilliant, the five different kinds of cod were delightful, the Napolitan-style tempura vegetables for my parents also very good. The presentation was beautiful, Unfortunately, the main courses were less impressive and, to my taste, my own dish with three kinds of meat and three kinds of onion, was over-salted. My wife had oyster pasta, and it don't actually have any oysters in it, just some oyster paste. A mushroom risotto was rustled up for my parents, but they hardly ate any of it, and to be honest, when I had a taste I found it was nothing special. Everyone was too full to order dessert, and all agreed we should have gone starter plus dessert and skipped the main dish. The whole thing cost 130 Euros, including an excellent bottle of local wine, and I could kind of understand the price but still felt faintly disappointed. This was mostly just a mis-match. They have no salad and in fact no fresh vegetables at all on the menu. Please note I am not a gourmet and I rarely eat at serious restaurants like this one.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I wandered in for lunch and was greeted warmly by a woman (possibly the owner), which was nice because I don't normally dine alone, and she made me feel very welcome. There were just a few menu choices (printed on a sheet of paper, so presumably changes daily). This might not be ideal if there are picky eaters in a group, but was fine with me. My wine, meal, and dessert were delicious, and some gentlemen from another table even sent me a glass of wine which was also wonderful. It was obviously a place where locals eat, but very welcoming to tourists as well. Prices were very reasonable for such high quality food. HIghly recommend!

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Good food made with local ingredients. Small restaurant - make reservations in advance. Walking distance from Hotel Excelsior.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We decided to get here because the restaurant was recommended on our Lonely Planet tour guide. Having a look at the reviews on Tripadvisor, though the majority were good, we realized that this place is somewhat polarizing.
And the explanation came when we had dinner there.
The place itself is very nice, simple but with some good touches, welcoming and pleasant. The lady browsing around the tables is very nice, always smiling and helpful. There were two waiters serving the room with her when we were there - one of the two was really nice, smiling and helpful, the other wan more silent and shy, and sometimes forgot things but nothing major.
What is polarizing is the food. We had some dishes that were truly good - you should try the pasta with genova sauce that is really delicious and seemed to me a very good reinterpretation of the original recipe. Also the seafod appetizers are very good. On average the fritti napoletani - good but I had some much better ones, maybe less pretentious but definitely more mouth-watering. While some dishes, such as the ravioli filled in with tuna and seasoned with colata di alici are really a bit too much...too salty, too much flavours mixed together.
And I could understand some reviews I read before on this restaurant, saying that this place should choose its vocation, either a more refined one or a more typical one.
I am not of course an expert, but I'd suggest that the menu could be slightly reduced in favour of increasing the quality, focussing on some dishes that are already very good and could definitely be enjoyed by everyone - and if some creativity is required, should probably be researched and fine tuned a bit more.

1  Thank Michela R
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Welcomed to an empty restaurant and the owner's son looked at the empty tables and said he wasn't sure there was space. He then offered us a choice of three locations in the main room.
Long menu and complex and all things sounding very nice. Took advice from the same guy, who recommended a four course a la carte repas.
What a load of .......
Had better and more genuine food on the streets!
Cheesy potato croquettes over fried. Octopus rubbery. Pasta overcooked. Rare steak presented as medium and without resting.
Best dish was some shallow-fried fish, and this was because the fish itself tasted so good and hadn't been screwed around with by the gastronomic witches in the kitchen.
Flavours that did not compliment each other in single dishes and, catastrophe, poor levels of seasoning. Basic errors all over.
The dishes were presented well and dressed nicely, but the food on them was worthy of a slap-'em-out-fast and don't-bother-tasting kind of joint.
The restaurant wants to look like Michelin-starred joints, but doesn't do the taste. It's not just about what the stuff looks like.
Probably the best thing was being presented with a wine list on an iPad, and being able I look at the detail of the wine before selecting. Now that was good, and I would love to see that in other, better, restaurants.
Then the cost was €130 for 2, and they tried to overcharge for the wine (best thing we had there) by €3.
Don't waste your time and money here. If this is exemplary Neapolitan cuisinery, gawd help you!

1  Thank brixtonpavilion