“What a terrible experience...”

Mattozzi Giardino di Napoli
Ranked #597 of 2,914 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“What a terrible experience...”
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

No good at all. Mattozzi is loosing it as far as I'm concerned. One of the most quoted restaurant in Naples has failed to meet expectation for four very disappointing reasons. Because, 1) they are a pizzeria ristorante and we were refused the pizza, the owner claiming they do not do them, presented us with a rather expensive á la carte menu. Don't mind the cost, so me and my girl decided to stay regardless, also cause since we had already been seated it would have felt bad to walk out. Anyway 2) never mind the wait, once the order for my Spaghetti ai Frutti di Mare and my girl's Risotto ai Funghi was taken, the owner suggests a mozzarella to kill the time. I say, sure.....and that was good for the mozzarella was tasty (one mozzarella keep this in mind for later), however the mussels on my spaghetti were small and rancid and may I add, dangerous to health, too. They smelled of sewage, literally. Nonetheless, they were taken away rather reluctantly by the owner which came back with a bunch of excuses. The risotto was good enough and so my girl eat it while I waited for my second attempt. This time, I opted for Scaloppine alla Sorrentina. It came as the risotto was finished, and I devoured it more by hunger than anything else since the dish was average at best. 3) The owner and his wife kept arguing, rather loudly about private matters in their dialect (quite amusingly) oblivious to the fact they had customers having lunch, and lastly 4), remember the one mozzarella??
Well it came on the bill at €6....one lousy mozzarella for €6. You can buy a kilo for that amount........
I guess the mozzarella's cost had to be inflated to make up in part for the loss of the spaghetti's cost.
Very, very bad.

Mattozzi......

Failed.

1 Thank Mcccld73

• Polish first
Moscow, Russia
“Not really positive experience”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I was roaming Corso Umbero I in the evening when I saw this restaurant. As I was looking for a decent typical local place to have my dinner I immediately entered as I was intrigued by the restaurant appearance.

The atmoshere inside was very nice and promising even though a hostess proposed me a table in the lower part of the hall, near the entrance door, so I did not see the interiors very well.

Frankly speaking, I did not feel comfortable. I was not welcomed as a valued guest and I did not feel any personal attitude. I'd expect some advises and hints from hostess, but I was only proposed to try fresh mozzarella. Which turned to be really-really good. I felt like I was a little Italian boy getting up Sunday's morning and having its breakfast with his parents.

Other than that... not really good. Insalata verde was spoiled by too much oil. Bistecco was OK, but nothing special. Finally, I paid 25 Euro for my dinner, but I was not equally satisfied.

Oh, and I had to wait 15 minutes before I got the receipt. Guess why? An owner chatted with other patrons. I can understand this Italian style of living, but I'd expect owner's attention to be distributed more fairly.

Overall, not really positive experience, between 2 and 3 out of 5.

• Visited February 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Great pizza, not overly busy”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

The same as other reviewers, we ended up here because there was too long a wait at Pizzeria da Michele. I'm glad we did, the pizza (Margarita di Bufala) was the best I had in Naples! The service was a little brusque, but not unfriendly, and the prices were excellent (6-8 Euro for a pizza).

• Visited October 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
“We enjoyed it very much”
Reviewed 27 June 2012

There were so many people waiting for Da Michele, Pizza Restaurant and we really didn't want to wait for it. We were hungry and needed some rest so we just jumped into Mattozzi Ristorante right across Da Michele and i am glad we did. It was really a nice restaurant. When you enter it you feel that you are in Italy. Very friendly staff and owner. Besides antipasti, pasta and risotto available. Not so many items in the menu and that means you find in the menu is well prepeared.
I don't think i am going to visit Napoli again if so i will do my best to visit Mattozzi Ristorante...

• Visited June 2012