“Very unsatisfied, we felt robbed”

Mattozzi Giardino di Napoli
Ranked #551 of 2,875 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Montreal, Canada
“Very unsatisfied, we felt robbed”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We wanted to go to L'Antica da Michele, but due to the long lineup, we decided to go to this seemingly cute restaurant next door. We usually never write reviews, but for this one we will because we do not encourage this type of behaviour from a restaurant.

1. First of all, poor customer service. We didn't feel welcome at all. The owner was not very pleasant not to say rude with us from the beginning.

2. As soon as we arrived the owner served us a basket of bread (three small pieces). The bread was dry and old, so after the first bite, we left the rest untouched. We later found out that he charged us an extra 3 euros for that bread.

3. Poor food quality (antipasto misto, risotto and spaghetti carbonara) we felt like there was too much salt, too much grease and butter in the food. After the lunch we didn't feel good (a bit nauseous actually) It didn't feel like delicate cuisine. It was not worth the bill of 28 euros we paid. For 8 euros, we had two delicious pizzas at L'Antica da Michele.

Conclusion: better wait 15 minutes at L'Antica da Michele than go to the restaurant next door.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank tutsitum

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible - And the Proprietors are still Arguing ...”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

As per Mcccld73's review below, we went for lunch here several days ago and the Proprietors had a blazing row all through our lunch. Clearly an ongoing disagreement! The atmosphere was terrible and the food was delayed and average.

We also had a disagreement about the bill. During the discussion the owner made some completely unacceptable racist remarks that I will not repeat.

Also the toilet is a "cave" that is located directly underneath the kitchen. Odours from the toilets can easily waft up to the cooking area. Nothing like a touch of "health and safety" Naples style.

Save your self the trouble and avoid this restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
Florence, Italy
“Good Food in a Friendly Atmosphere”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We stumbled on this restaurant without having heard of it before, and we were quite pleased with it in all ways. We were greeted warmly by the hostess and serving staff, served tasty food in a timely manner, and entertained with Neapolitan songs sung by a local man with a limited but passionate voice. The price was most reasonable, and we were even given complimentary after-dinner liqueurs. We would be happy to return to Il Giardino di Napoli another time.

• Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“What a terrible experience...”
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

No good at all. Mattozzi is loosing it as far as I'm concerned. One of the most quoted restaurant in Naples has failed to meet expectation for four very disappointing reasons. Because, 1) they are a pizzeria ristorante and we were refused the pizza, the owner claiming they do not do them, presented us with a rather expensive á la carte menu. Don't mind the cost, so me and my girl decided to stay regardless, also cause since we had already been seated it would have felt bad to walk out. Anyway 2) never mind the wait, once the order for my Spaghetti ai Frutti di Mare and my girl's Risotto ai Funghi was taken, the owner suggests a mozzarella to kill the time. I say, sure.....and that was good for the mozzarella was tasty (one mozzarella keep this in mind for later), however the mussels on my spaghetti were small and rancid and may I add, dangerous to health, too. They smelled of sewage, literally. Nonetheless, they were taken away rather reluctantly by the owner which came back with a bunch of excuses. The risotto was good enough and so my girl eat it while I waited for my second attempt. This time, I opted for Scaloppine alla Sorrentina. It came as the risotto was finished, and I devoured it more by hunger than anything else since the dish was average at best. 3) The owner and his wife kept arguing, rather loudly about private matters in their dialect (quite amusingly) oblivious to the fact they had customers having lunch, and lastly 4), remember the one mozzarella??
Well it came on the bill at €6....one lousy mozzarella for €6. You can buy a kilo for that amount........
I guess the mozzarella's cost had to be inflated to make up in part for the loss of the spaghetti's cost.
Very, very bad.

Mattozzi......

Failed.

1 Thank Mcccld73
Moscow, Russia
“Not really positive experience”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I was roaming Corso Umbero I in the evening when I saw this restaurant. As I was looking for a decent typical local place to have my dinner I immediately entered as I was intrigued by the restaurant appearance.

The atmoshere inside was very nice and promising even though a hostess proposed me a table in the lower part of the hall, near the entrance door, so I did not see the interiors very well.

Frankly speaking, I did not feel comfortable. I was not welcomed as a valued guest and I did not feel any personal attitude. I'd expect some advises and hints from hostess, but I was only proposed to try fresh mozzarella. Which turned to be really-really good. I felt like I was a little Italian boy getting up Sunday's morning and having its breakfast with his parents.

Other than that... not really good. Insalata verde was spoiled by too much oil. Bistecco was OK, but nothing special. Finally, I paid 25 Euro for my dinner, but I was not equally satisfied.

Oh, and I had to wait 15 minutes before I got the receipt. Guess why? An owner chatted with other patrons. I can understand this Italian style of living, but I'd expect owner's attention to be distributed more fairly.

Overall, not really positive experience, between 2 and 3 out of 5.

• Visited February 2013