“Excellent, special and very cute hotel”

Hotel Costantinopoli 104
Ranked #58 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 22 January 2009

Great "boutique" hotel in chaotic Naples. Clean, friendly, spacious and nicely furbished. Interesting location of the rooms ("on the roof"), with a great view.
Very quiet.
Internet access did not work (neither cable nor wireless), which was a bit inconvenient for work.
Breakfast was very nice, staff friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 January 2009

We spent one night here while we were travelling around Italy on our honeymoon. We wanted it to be special so we booked the junior suite for our stay. The room itself was a duplex rom with the sitting area downstairs and the bedroom and the bathroom upstairs. It also had a little balcony overlooking the street. It was wonderful and nicely decorated and of course spotlessly clean. We were given a complementary bottle of prosecco which was also very nice :) As we spent only one night here, the only people that we saw were the lady who helped us check in, the guy who helped with parking the car and carried our luggage and the waitress at the breakfast the next day and they were all great. The only problem that we had was with finding the place as we had a car and the road that the hotel is on is a one way street so we kept coming up to the beginning of the road and having to turn the other way :) After driving around in circles for at least 30 mins we managed to find the right way! If you are planning to drive to this hotel I suggest you take a really good map of Naples with you and study it before you set off.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2008

In this chaotic smelly rough and tumble town, here is an oasis of calm, much appreciated by the fashion-concscious crowd in the movie and advertising business.

It's nice enough -- very nice, in fact -- and the staff at the reception are helpfull and friendly but I felt I could be anywhere and that spoilt my whole stay.

Besides, when you are paying this kind of price, you like a hotel to be, well, perfect. And yet the bath in the bathroom was absurdly inpracticla. Lamps were badly fixed to the walls, so that they wobbled. The state-of-the art stereo system in the room lacked the wires that would allow it to work and I had breakfast with a view on the noisy kitchen every morning, because the rather unpleasant people looking over the buffet couldn't be bothered to close the door behind them.

Not good enough. But Naples was great!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2008

So we arrived in Naples after dark. Cab from airport took us through mazes of streets, covered with graffiti, and turned up a narrow street which turned out to be Costantinopoli. (The hotel is named after its address, 104 Costantinopoli.) After several blocks the cab stopped in front of a dark wall in a dark block with a tall gate. Number 104, the driver anounced. Huh? No hotel sign. No nothing. On searching, I found a row of doorbells by the gate. One said Costantinopoli 104. Nothing about a hotel. I rang the bell. A voice answered. "Is this a hotel, can I check in?" I asked. By way of response, a tiny, man-sized door in the large gate buzzed open. After a minute, a man arrived to help with the luggage.

He led us through a dark cobblestoned courtyard where cars were parked, buzzed through another gate and there we were, in the small garden of the hotel.

It was beautiful. The old building was wonderfully rehabbed and the rooms were very, very comfortable. Ours had a giant bathroom with a mosaic bathtub large enough for four people. The staff was gracious and helpful.

But the security out front tells you something about Naples. (Most other hotels I saw were behind gates like ours.)

My husband and I stayed there a week. Three or four days would have been better. The entire city, rich and poor sections alike, is overwhelmed....trash everywhere, graffiti, and as one tourist put it over breakfast, "excrement on the steps of the house of god." She was referring, I assume, to an ancient church next to the hotel that was locked up and housed a homeless man on its steps, along with lots of (hopfully) dog droppings.

But Naples is much more than graffiti and trash. There is a mind boggling array of magnificent sights. Inside everywhere, from the eye dazzling baroque churches to the tiniest food shops, everything is sparkling and beautifully designed. Outside is chaos.

The hotel is right in the center of the historical district, right where you want to be for the sights. During the day you can walk everywhere. At night, though, the hotel told us that if we wanted to eat anywhere other than a restaurant around the corner, we should take a cab for fear of being mugged on the streets. Luckily, the restaurant around the corner, Carmella's, is brilliant. Wonderful food and ambience. We became regulars, eating there six of the seven nights we were in town, and were sorry not to have tasted everything on her menu. The Italians are so friendly, we became favorites of Carmella, who even took me in the kitchen when she saw us passing one afternoon and gave me an impromptu lesson in Italian cooking.

Costantinopoli 104 is the perfect place to stay in Naples. Whether you want to stay in Naples at all depends on your tolerance for edgy. My husband put it best. We have travelled a lot in Western Europe. He pronounced Naples as being "exotic," which is not a word he uses lightly. It fits. There aren't many exotic places left in Western Europe and Naples is one of them. The city makes you want to cry for the destruction and gape in wonder at the magnificence at the heart of it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank kswright
Reviewed 8 September 2008

We stayed at the Costantinopoli 104 for the last four nights of our honeymoon. I must admit, that when our train pulled into Naples station, my heart sank. In fact as we were driven though Naples (in a car that the hotel had very nicely arranged) my heart kept sinking even lower. However, as soon as we entered the courtyard of the hotel with its beautiful garden and enticing pool, my spirits were raised. It really is a little oasis.
The staff were wonderful and made our stay there very special - as we arrived they asked when it would be convenient to drop the complimentary bottle of champagne to our room (I'll have to get married more often!). The room itself was amazing: it was on a split level with a small sitting room downstairs and a spatious bedroom and bathroom (complete with jacuzzi!) upstairs - we couldn't have asked for more!
Although I warmed to Naples slightly (although it may have been the influence of the champagne), for me it didn't compare to the other cities we visited (Venice, Florence, Rome). I've no doubt that it was once beautiful, but today it appears run down, dirty and chaotic. However (and this is a big "however"), I wouldn't hesitate to return to the Costantinopoli 104. I've already discussed many of the virtues of the hotel, but it also serves as a fantastic base from which you can explore the wonders of the surrounding area: Pompeii is a short train ride away; Vesuvius a short bus ride; and Capri a short boat ride away. And what better way is there to relax after a trek up Vesuvius or a shopping trip to Capri than a glass of Limoncello around the pool of the Costantinopoli 104?

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MarmyEngland
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Myself, my husband and our eight year old son stayed at the Costantinopoli 104 for two nights in the second week of July of 2008. It is a great hotel. We had a junior suite that was stylishly appointed, and very comfortable. We loved the pool, an absolute necessity in such hot weather. The buffet breakfast was excellent. My son was particularly pleased by the croissants with the pastry cream inside (I think they are called "cornetta.) The plum tomatoes were the sweetest I had ever had. The mozzarella was also really good. The staff was helpful and welcoming. All spoke perfect English.
Our reason for coming to Naples was to visit Pompeii. I felt that it might be more interesting to visit Naples, and to be able to go to the archeological museum, rather than just head straight to Positano, for instance, and do Pompeii as a day trip from there. I am glad we chose to visit Naples, as the archeological museum, which is right down the street from this hotel, does have an important and impressive collection. However, I must also add that, if it were not for staying at this lovely hotel, Naples might have been a bit too edgy for us. The Piazza Bellini near to the hotel has been cleaned up and has a lovely cafe, which is also, apparently, a sort of literary gathering place. One day, as we were sitting there having lunch, we heard lovely singing. We realized that the Conservatory of Music was just nearby. Some opera singers were practicing. That was a special moment. However, that evening, we went one Piazza further, to the Piazza Dante, where the concierge had recommended a restaurant, and we got a bit freaked out. Something about the graffiti and just the feeling of the place just made us not want to be there. We want back to the Piazza Bellini and ate our dinner there, even though that cafe is really more of a lunch place.
Clearly, there is an ongoing effort underway to clean up the historic center of Naples, and to make it more safe and comfortable for tourists. Both the hotel and also the cafe in Piazza Bellini are part of this movement, which seems to be being spearheaded by young, educated, chic Neopolitans. However, much more still needs to be done. We hope it will continue, because Naples does have a lot to offer.
Our second evening, for instance, we went to a pizzeria called Da Michele, which had been written about in the New York Times travel section as serving the best pizza in the world. We ordered the margherita pizza with double mozzarella, as had been advised. (The only other option would have been the marinara.) It was delicious -- a memorable foodie experience. That night, we were not at all creeped out. Da Michele is not at all fancy or expensive. It is the sort of place where you go in and get a number, and then wait outside for about twenty minutes or so, until they call you in. Their very limited menu is hanging on the wall, and the service is friendly, yet efficient. It was full of Neopolitans taking their kids out for dinner, which is exactly what we were doing, so we felt very much at home.
If you do decide to be bold and pay a visit to Naples, rather than escaping immediately to Positano or the like, I absolutely recommend that you stay at the Constantinopoli 104 and that you treat yourself to a pizza dinner at Da Michele. You will not regret it.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank NYNYGIraffe
Reviewed 2 June 2008

We stayed at here in May/June 2008. I was initially hesitant to visit Naples because of the petty crime and infamous trash problems I had read about. It would have been a huge mistake to not go.
This is an amazing, authentic Italian city. It is vibrant, lively, interesting and without tourists. We walked around at night and I never felt unsafe.
This hotel is fabulous and in a quiet oasis in a perfect location. Our rooms were spotlessly clean, nicely decorated, and comfortable. The staff are so helpful and friendly. Breakfast was wonderful with delicious cappacino and a wide array of fresh food.
I really loved my Naples experience and will encourage my friends to go to Naples while in Italy. It's really a treat to see how Italians live and work and eat. Sadly many of the tourist destinations have become generic tourist traps.
Naples is fascinating and the food is the absolute best there is in Italy. After eating pizza Napolitana, you will never think of pizza the same again.
Go to Naples and stay at Costantinopoli 104, you will be happy you did!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family