“Great Value, Spotless Rooms, Steps to the historic centre of Naples!”
Review of Albergo del Golfo

Albergo del Golfo
Ranked #72 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Edmonton, Canada
“Great Value, Spotless Rooms, Steps to the historic centre of Naples!”
Reviewed 11 September 2010

The Albergo del Golfo is located steps away from the 'Spaccanapoli', a combination of several streets that form the heart of the city's historic centre. The hotel is approximately a 20 minute walk from the main train station.

Our room was recently renovated, very large, and spotlessly clean. Only notable item was a very slow draining shower. We did not mention this to the hotel staff as it really wasn't a big deal.

The breakfast was included and was slightly above typical for included breakfasts in Italy. Selection included cold cereal, yogurt, juice, toast & jam from a self serve buffet. In addition, each person was served an espresso-based drink of their choice from a full scale commercial quality machine and a fresh croissant. I took the fact that they served you to indicate that they wanted to restrict these last 2 items to one per person.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank egon61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 11 August 2010

While returning from vacation on the island of Ischia we visited Vesuvio and spent one night in Naples.
This hotel is located quite near the historic center and also Molo Beverelo port in awful hidden street. Really not sure if this zone is safe in the night ;-)
Opposite to this, interior is very nice, modern and roomy so you almost forget where exactly you are.
Everything looked fine till we have to deal with around-50-years-old-man at the reception. He told me that there's ABSOLUTELY NO PARKING ANYWHERE near the hotel (not true as realized later), so I left my car in the street just opposite to the hotel. There was a sign of parking prohibited, but even residents didn't respect it. Since that time the receptionist kept me frightening several times during evening and morning that there was a police in the street giving penalty to all the parking cars but it was not true either as I later asked other people.
Moreover in the morning as we were hurrying to the airport he started very slowly searching for our invoice one paper by one. He didn't find it then and FRAMED US OF NOT PAYING AND BEING THIEVES though everything had been paid months before through HRS.COM portal. Finally he found the invoice and let us go WITHOUT ANY EXCUSE AND EVEN NO REPLY TO THE GREETING!!!
To be added, the whole conversation was held in Italian, so his behavior cannot even be assigned to language barrier.
I traveled a lot in my life but never encountered such arrogant and rude person at the reception anywhere and so I can recommend this hotel only in case you manage to avoid dealing with this "person".

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank AdamKubacak

Travellers are raving about these Naples hotels

Berkeley Springs, WV
Reviewed 27 May 2010

It was a very clean place. If you look on Expedia the description is not accurate or in my case at least. The shower head in my room was not hand held, there really is no "bar" or "lounge" that they use for those purposes, and there was only one younger man at the desk who spoke a little English-maybe the multilingual staff that Expedia mentions does not include English, I don't know. As for the the balconies that Expedia mentions they are not full size only about 10 inches out from the building. I slept very well while I was there. The metal blinds and heavy glass doors and windows seemed to block out most of the street noise. The hotel is on a back street but I never once felt unsafe and this was my first trip to Naples. I didn't feel comfortable during my stay here, but it was not horrible by any means. I'm used to plush and lush and this was not it. One of the housekeepers that does the espresso and breakfast duty is very nice and welcoming. There is a small store right next door, it looks like a kitchen but it really is a store to buy snacks, wine, or beer...or in my case chocolate. Cash only though. The old lady that runs the place is a sweetheart. The location is pretty good, we had no trouble walking to the train station or to the pier to get to Pompeii, Vesuvius, or Capri. We only had to take a taxi three times and two of them were from and two the airport. I would not recommend this hotel to someone who wants to be comfortable in a nice room with a view, I would recommend it to young people who are most likely going to be on on the move and not really mind a room without a view or sleeping in hard beds.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank catnip616
bucuresti
Reviewed 12 February 2010

You can reach in few minutes Plazza Municipio with Castel Nuovo and also via toledo. Unfortunately there were a lot of ants in one of the beds and after I announced the problem at the reception they didn't even changed the sheet with the dead "evidence". In addition, you need to use a fix shower which was not pleasant at all for me, considering the fact that it sprayed all over. The room is big (I was travelling single and they gave me a three-bed room) but you need to bring your own sleepers because there is sandstone everywhere. The breakfast is extremely simple, only tea / coffee, croissant, bread, gem and yogurt.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank oanap
stockport england
Reviewed 9 February 2010

the hotel is easy to reach from the airport take the alibus to the piazza municipio from there its about 400 metres

the hotel is in a rather run down area which can be a bit of a shock, however things change as soon as you enter the hotel. it appears to been recently refurbished and is very clean the staff on reception are freindly and helpful ,check in took about 30 seconds.

the rooms like the rest of the hotel are very clean towels were changed daily and virtually no noise from outside can be heard from inside the room

the rooms are equipped with flat screen tvs and have a safe deposit box for which there is a charge of 3 euros a day.

naples is a very interesting city it is very busy noisy and very dirty, most of the monuments are covered with graffiti, there is plenty to see and do we managed to vist sorrento and pompei during our stay, both easyly reached by train.

the hotel is very close to the historical centre with easy access to restaurants the pizzas are the best we have ever had, doubt we will ever enjoy another pizza in the uk

during our stay we never had any problems and could walk about freely in the evenings everyone we ecountered was extremly pleasant and helpful we enjoyed our stay and cant wait to go back there is so much to see and do . transport is easy and will be even better when the metro is finished.

just wish the city could be cleaned up

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rhokrefar
Boston
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in January. I was a little nervous upon arrival because of the location looking rundown, but it turned out to be great because I was located near many sights. My room in the hotel was fantastic. It was large and clean. All the furnishings appeared to be new. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank woodstock1961
Paris
Reviewed 26 December 2006

Some friends reserved for us a room in this hotel. The price was very fine: the room for 2 persons with 2 breakfasts was 75 euros each night.

We asked the Albergo del Golfo for a documentation: no answer... We
understood that the hotel (Two men, very helpful in Italian, are managing) only speak Italian. You need to write to the hotel in Italian, not in English, not in French...

We finally found the web site here: [----]

The hotel is difficult to find even for the taxis...Tell the taxi: "Dopo l’università degli studi Federico II, dovete girare a destra in Via Mezzocannone, 10 metri girare subito a sinistra in Via Sedile di Porto poche centinaia di metri e siete arrivati all’albergo."

We stayed four nights in Albergo del Golfo at the 3rd floor.

Our room was small, our friend's room was large (same price).
We asked in Italian language for a matrimonial room (1 large bed instead of 2 twins beds), they confirmed by fax and they gave us a twin.

Our room, with street view, was noisy at night. The bulding in front of the hotel was in renovation. So the workers began their noisy job at 8 o'clock.

The beds were very fine: the mattresses were thick. The blankets were not clean.

Our shower was fine: lot of water with a good pressure.

The breakfast is a buffet inside a room and on the terrace with toasts, yoghourt, butter, marmelade...I did not like neither a sort of croissant with abricot inside, neither the orange juice.

I won't come back in this hotel because I did not like the street, the district. I prefer to stay near the sea (Hotel Ausonia, Hotel Partenople...).

• Liked — Shower
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — Web site : [----]