“Awesome Room, Scary Location”
Review of Hotel Correra 241

Hotel Correra 241
Ranked #13 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel on the last night of our honeymoon before flying out of the Naples airport early the next morning. We absolutely loved the room decor and felt very comfortable inside of the room, but the location of the hotel was terrifying. It is located in a dark, poorly lit alley with little traffic and some sketchy individuals lurking around the grounds. We skipped dinner and went hungry that night because we were too afraid to walk anywhere or even call a taxi to take us somewhere.

I think they serve breakfast, but we had to leave early so we were not able to experience their food.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meaghan B
LifestyleHotelNapoli, Manager at Hotel Correra 241, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2012

Dear Meaghan B,
what a pity ! This is the first thing I thought when I read the review! It's true, we are in a popular quarter of Napoli and those you saw are Napolitan faces, but the street where we are it's one of the quiter, and anything is ever happened! As you wrote a tip on tripadvisor I'm wondering why you didn't read all the other reviews. The most of them tell the same " the quarter seems awful at first, but it's so safe". You could talk to the reception or the other guests asking suggestions, and if we weren't able to argue you, we could, at least, order a pizza for you! I really hope you can back to Napoli one day and recover anything you miss this time. Gisella Grieco

There are newer reviews for Hotel Correra 241

Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

We had a little trouble finding the garage and got lost and stuck in little back streets but once we sorted that out the hotel was great! Large-ish room and bathroom - aircon, balcony, fridge, tv, and breakfast was a decent spread! Was a great place to come and relax after being out on Naples chaotic streets! Friendly and helpful staff - great value overall.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank heihil
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Took high speed train from Rome. 1-2 stops from main train terminal (depending on how far you want to walk at the other end). Centrally located in old quarter; half way up the block on a side street right off a main avenue. Naples does have a particular atmosphere but during the day we felt completely safe. Hotel is clean with "interesting" artwork. Our air conditioning didn't work the first night but it was repaired and our second night was comfortable. Room said it could accommodate 5 people (as per Expedia) (which the hotel did; three being children though) but the bed layout was tight with 2 twins and one double bed. It was tight fitting 5 in those 3 beds. Breakfast was abundant with many choices, though same for the two days with only the fruit changing. Staff was friendly. Small shops for food/water on block and main supermarkert 5 minutes walk. Many restaurants on main avenue.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2012

The hotel is conveniently situated near the Metro and within 30 minutes walk to the waterfront. Breakfast was ok. The pastries are not the greatest but there was fresh fruit, juice, yogurt and an espresso machine. Reception spoke English and were friendly. The room was air-conditioned (a necessity!) and the temperature contollable by remote control. There was a nice patio where you could eat breakfast outside, which was refreshing.
My only major beef with the hotel room was the sewer-like smell that seemed to permeate my whole room through the drains of the bathroom, which was located up some stairs. Wireless internet was also sporadic in the room. I could tolerate the bad smell and the street noise plus hearing the entrance door under me as someone came in, but if you are sensitive to noise and odor, you had better stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012
LifestyleHotelNapoli, Manager at Hotel Correra 241, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2012

Dear Mr. Oursbleu,
first of all thanks, but thank you very much for all the compliments to our structure. I am truly sorry for the problem of the bad smell in the room. Sometimes just a little distraction can frustrate every our effort to try to make your stay as pleasant as possible. I just wanted to let you know that we have identified the problem in the room (it was a tube that had to be changed) and now everything has been restored. Another thing that I want to clarify is the issue of changing room. I can assure you that every time we can change the room to customers who request it, we try to satisfy them ( you can find evidence in other reviews...)
Probably the other rooms were to be occupied by more people, or we had been received ​​the request for a specific room. Only in these cases we fail to satisfy demands of change. Plus, if the evening there were still opened empy rooms, does not mean they are not then been occupied by a late check-in or, last possibility, that there has been a no-show that we could not predict. In any case, I would like to send you some Napolitan sfogliatella to apology for the bad memory of the smell. Just please get in touch with our hotel, we will be very plesured! My best wishes, Gisella Grieco

Reviewed 16 July 2012

My taxi driver got hopelessly lost taking me here, despite the hotel's good location near the center of town and a main road near the museum. Because of this, I ended up arriving at the hotel via the back alley. I don't recommend you arrive this way. If your taxi driver doesn't get hopelessly lost, then Hotel Correra 241 is very conveniently located, very close to transportation, easy walking distance to lots of sights, and (despite being on a rather bustling and typically gritty side street), quite safe. The alley, I do not recommend.

The hotel itself is bright and modern. It's arranged around some courtyards and nice patios, but the rooms have powerful air conditioners for the summer months, when I was there and it was blazing hot. My room was large, clean, and comfortable. The window overlooked the street, which was less scenic than interesting. It can get loud, certainly, but that's Naples. The shutters on the windows did a lot to blot out the noise at night, and it wasn't a problem. I enjoyed the street life. The only drawback to closing them was the lack of air circulation, which only mattered because...

There was this smell. I can't put my finger on it, but other reviewers on other sites have come close when they say rot mixed with chemicals. It seemed to be coming from the pipes in the bathroom, but this was not a smell I noticed anywhere else in Naples. The water didn't smell. The room was obviously cleaned and well-cared for. But the smell was like fermented cabbage dipped in toxic waste. It was so bad, and felt so questionably safe to breathe in, that I did something I never do and mentioned it to 3 employees on 2 separate occasions. Both times, employees acknowledged the smell before quickly backtracking and denying that they knew what I was talking about. Unfortunately, I don't speak Italian, but the conversation I overheard when I asked if it was possible for me to try a new room indicated that, though there were rooms available, the official party line was that everything was "fully booked". I knew this was not true when I saw open rooms late that night.

If it hadn't been for the smell, which I cannot overstate how pungent it was, I would have really enjoyed Naples and Hotel Correra 241. The breakfast was substantial and delicious, with even a big bowl of fresh, local cherries one day. Most of the desk staff were friendly and quick to help. The rate was reasonable, especially for such a large, comfortable room. Unfortunately, that smell is what I will think of forever when I think of my stay. When I moved from Naples to Florence and opened my suitcase, all my clothes retained that special, pungent stink. One of the staff at Correra 241 implied that my complaint about the smell was because I'm American and not used to Naples, but I don't think that's so. While it's true what they say in the guidebooks about Naples being gritty, loud, and chaotic, I found it to be full of charm and worthy of exploration. There are growling motorbikes racing down alleys, but if you can blink fast enough before they zip by, you'll see parents with children riding them. There are people living loudly and loitering in the streets, but as you pass by, they don't hassle you. There is also a lot of hospitality and pride in the city. I truly don't believe the smell was a Naples issue, but a Hotel Correra 241 issue, which is unfortunate, because aside from the smell, the hotel could have been a lovely, affordable spot for seeing a city that deserves attention.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank apriland
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We arrived at the Hotel Correra 241 after a long long day of travel, to find the hotel was not easy – but not terribly hard (our GPS helped a lot in the end), but once we arrived we both felt relaxed and inspired to see more of the city.

Hotel Correra 241 greeted us with a beautiful and unique design, very friendly attendant and a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the one-of-a-kind streets in Naples, alive with scooters and pedestrians and youth playing.

We got directions to find something to drink and eat, but followed our instincts and arrived in Piazza Bellini which was absolutely magical with live music and people of all ages gathered enjoy the evening.

Back at the hotel, our room was comfortable in every way, breakfast was quite nice and we enjoyed a fabulous 3 days.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I had read the reviews of the location, down a side street which looked a bit dodgy so wasnt suprised when we arrived and once you are through the gate into the hotel lobby it is clean and colourful. The staff were helpful and the hotel was clean. We were there on a Saturday night with a room over the side street and didnt get to sleep until 3.30am. The noise was terrible mopeds, kids shouting, people shouting it must be the noisiest side street in Italy. We asked at 2.30am for a different room but they were fully booked. They did provide a different room the next morning, which was a small room with a high ceiling and a sklylight. It felt like a cell.
There is a dining area with colourful plastic chairs and tables where the continental breakfast is available and an outdoor seating area where you can listen to the very noisy family with children next door.
Overall- the hotel was clean but like a hostel, very minimal in any sense of any comforts. It was not good value for money.
I would recommend you dont go to Naples and then you dont have to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here and like hostel accomodation get a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
LifestyleHotelNapoli, Manager at Hotel Correra 241, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear Mr. 01stuff,
first of all we want to thank you for your review. We always appreciate the criticism because it gives us the opportunity to improve our product trying to make, where possible, the suggestions raised. And that is why I'm telling you that the windows' soundproofing of the rooms on the street side was opened. The hotel feels like a hostel, but it isn't. The choice of furniture is deliberately minimal to create a contrast with the area that is popular and ancient. The choice of colors, materials used, all of those things were designed to be a contrast. All of that is fine with your review, not all of our clients fail to understand the reason of our choices, that's why we are always ready to explain, but you must understand that a review like yours significantly penalizes the ranking of our hotel on tripadvisor and I'm going to explain why. Judge us for what we have done in the heart of the historic center of Naples! One thing is to judge the hotel because you didn't like, other think is judging the chaos of the city center. Well, Napoli it's just this! Chaotic, so popular but lively and unique! You claims to have read the other reviews, also said you were prepared and well, you chose Naples as you destination and our hotel to live the city better. Is it possible that your experience was so traumatic that Naples did not have anything left except the noisy? Well if so I'm so sorry, maybe Naples is not a city for everyone, definitely not a city for you, and rightly not come back if this is your thought, but please, do not be so presumptuous and severe suggesting to other tourists not to come to Naples and in our hotel! Gisella Grieco