“Basic accommodations, great service, could be so much more!”
Review of Hotel Micalo

Hotel Micalo
Ranked #100 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed with my family 3 weeks ago. The hotel is actually situated far from the city center / shopping street, but it has its advantages. Location is Quiet at night (as the shopping strip can get noisy). There is construction happening in front of the hotel. i think they are building the underground train system.

Hotel rooms are basic. beds are clean, however the bathroom needs a bit of work. We heard noise from the pipes when we would flush the toilet, and the lavatory did not drain well. (i had to remove the drain cover, in order for the water to drain), shower was basic. Our towels were not changed.

Dimitri (the receptionst) however was the saving grace of the hotel. He gave us advice on where to go, what to do, and where to eat. He went out of his way to even help us track down an Ipad we left at the Orly airport. Without his help we would have not found my Ipad and would have not found the gardens w/ great views. Take the funicolare to the top of the mountain. You wont regret it.

breakfast was so-so...

All in all, i think that the place can be a great hotel. It just needs to be improved. Hopefully management can do something about my comments.

cleanliness is key.

thank you so much for having us!

Room Tip: some rooms have the bathrooms on the 2nd floor of the room.... not really that great especially if y...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 April 2014

About to compose a mini-essay on the charms of Naples and Micalò, I first read prior reviews. Now, all I need to do is endorse them: the warm welcome from Michele and Dimitri and their spot-on advice/helpfulness, the light, art-filled contemporary decor, *most* comfortable bed, delicious breakfast, and, the perfect location. The Metro construction someone commented on may be a bit of a drag but we faced the sea and it didn't hamper anything and waking up to look out on the sea was absolutely worth it.
A visit to Naples should be on everyone's itinerary. Micalò too.
Grazie mille, Michele e Dimitri.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louise W
Reviewed 17 April 2014

With the waterfront on one side with all of its restaurants and shops and on the other side narrow streets lined with bars, restaurants, and shops, and art museum, the Micalo is the perfect location in Naples, particularly if you like to walk. However, it's best asset is, Dimitrios, who is a wealth of enthusiastic information about Naples. Once he "got us" he had an uncanny sense of coming up with suggestions for things to do and see that were always spot on.

Kudos to Dimitrios and all of the hotel staff for making our stay in Naples far exceed our expectations.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Our second stay after 5 years and the hotel is as unique and charming as before, the staff are exceptional, the owner, bellissima. I feel so sorry they have had to suffer the ongoing works in front of the hotel, but once the new metro is open it will be a positive, but don't let that put you off, the location is perfect for those brave enough to stay in central Naples,......actually no bravery required, the Neapolitans are warm friendly and extrovert but not to be feared! Taxi drivers are a tad annoying, whilst I have passable Italian I was still the subject of ''stealth'' but done in a charming way.

This is a very unusual hotel and for people who want something different. Ritornaremo!

Room Tip: All rooms are quirky and different, but might be worth NOT having sea view due to works to the Metro...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Micalo’ si the perfect place to stay in Naples. First of all the location is the best in the Gulf. Located along the Riviera di Chiaia, MIcalo’ is right in front of the spectacular Lungomare with the magnificent Mediterranean gardens between Mergellina and Castel dell’Ovo. Some of the best views, restaurants, elegant boutiques, and trendy bars are just around the corner. Unfortunately, at the moment some construction work for the subway limits a bit the beauty of this particular place which enchanting drama has been the subject of poems and paintings by some of the greatest intellectual travelers of the Grand Tour. Second I loved the transition from the hustle and bustle of the city into the immaculate comfort of the interior. Some of the contemporary art works create a colorful fascinating ambiance versus the white tonality of the general space. Rooms and bathrooms are extremely quiet, nice and comfortable and I found the duplex (bed on the ground and bath on the upper floor) very original in concept. Mattresses, duvets, towels, toiletries are of an exceptional quality! Breakfast in the morning is served in a nice luminous room which could be in Ischia or Capri. The most special character of this boutique hotel is the manager-director extraordinaire Dimitris. A Greek-Italian man who welcomes you calling you by name and with unexpected kindness (truly!!!). Dimitris puts the work of a manager at a higher level. He is truly extraordinary and literally tries to help guests like no other in the world ( and here I could make comparison with the best 5 star hotels in Italy). Beside the fact that he knows Naples well (its restaurants, theatres, monuments and museums) he has a genuine elegant and professional predisposition to be in this field. I would say that Micalo’ without Dimitris would be like Naples without Vesuvius…still a beautiful place but without a source of inspiration.

Room Tip: They are all similar and comfortable. I had a beautiful duplex connected with another room with fri...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The staff of this hotel are its greatest asset. Warm and friendly welcome from Demitri, who gave us his card and instructed us to call him if ever we found ourselves in an uncomfortable situation whilst in Naples – he would come get us in his car, even if we called after we’d checked out of his hotel. Impressive and quite reassuring on our first trip to Naples! Be aware that the hotel is not clearly marked from the street – you have to know what you are looking for (a locked and barred door onto a courtyard, which is basically a normal Naples apartment building). After you ring the bell and are buzzed through, you walk across the courtyard to another locked door (also buzzed through), and then you have to negotiate a small elevator. When it stops, you are greeting enthusiastically by Demitri, who makes you feel at home from the minute you arrive. The room we were given, #5, had a great view onto the park and the sea, although the construction outside could be bothersome at times. The room was quirky; a rock was suspended from the ceiling on a wire, and the bottom-most stair of the staircase was a rough-hewn piece of granite fashioned into a step. About that staircase: If you are elderly, overweight, or unfit (or all three, as we were), it is tough to negotiate. Steep, slippery, narrow steps with no handrail of any kind, and you must use these steps every time you visit the bathroom – very difficult in the middle of the night. Once you get to the bathroom, it’s nice, although it was hard not to get water all over the floor, even being careful. Also, the tub was difficult to enter and exit, as it was so high above the ground. The other things we didn’t like: The room’s door was flimsy with no deadbolt; the fridge was broke, as was the AC; the walls could really use a new coat of paint; the breakfast was not great, as we are used to protein (meat, eggs, etc.), but breads and cereals, with a little bit of kiwi fruit, cheese and tough salami, were the only choices here. What we did love: the view! You can walk out on the early nineteenth-century balcony and see the sun come up over the Sorrento hills, see Vesuvius in the pink sunrise, and the Villa Comunale’s palm trees over the sea. So beautiful! Also, the staff here are amazing. The room’s design is very pretty, and the restaurant choices nearby are plentiful and delicious. The location can’t be beat, with the area around the hotel being the safest and richest in Naples (we saw stores for Prada, Gucci, etc.). Also, the wifi was free and worked flawlessly. Would I stay here again? Definitely, although I would ask for a room without the upstairs bathroom.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My first memory of Hotel Micalo? Stepping into the courtyard and seeing Dimitris waving at me from the 2nd floor window welcoming my husband, in-laws and myself to the hotel. This warm welcome continued throughout our entire 6 night stay in November. But let me back up because this welcoming attitude started about 2 months prior to my family's trip. When I am planning a vacation I look into every detail, read every review and analyze every piece of information available so as not to be surprised during my stay. Needless to say I am a bit overzealous but it's all part of my process. I contacted the hotel with additional questions and heard from Dimitris right away. Well, 8 hours later because of the time difference. This continued for 2 months and I never felt like I was bothering either Dimitris or Suzanne. They helped me to plan, from Colorado, how we would be arriving, what we would need, no detail was to small for them to happily respond to me.

The hotel can only be described as charming. If you are the type of traveler who wants everything brand spanking new, shiny and commercialized please do not stay here. But if you are a traveler who wants to feel as though they are truly a part of the city in which you are staying, you could not find a better hotel than this. The location is fantastic! You hear so much about crime and sketchy neighborhood in Naples but this is the ritziest area in Naples and we felt comfortable walking back to the hotel at 1:00 in the morning. Also, it's right next to a small police station.

Breakfasts were amazing. A true Italian breaksfast of fresh meats, cheeses, local fruit and pastries. Yum! We filled up each morning and the 2 cappucinos I drank every morning were beautiful. Creamy and so pretty you hated to drink it but I managed.

Now for the staff. As previous reviews have stated Dimitris is an absolute gentleman. And I mean this in the old-fashioned sense in that nothing was ever a bother and he was so gracious and helpful. Plus he smell so good (hermes cologne). Speaks perfect English as does Suzanne, the owner who is originally from England but married a local. My in-laws forgot their adaptor and Suzanne was sweet enough to bring one from her home! And when our safe re-set itself due to a power outage a mechanic was called in first thing the next morning and a brand new one was brought. Mierko who works there was so kind as well. He is learning English and did everything he could to help us. He is a huge Naples soccer fan! So you see, you really get to know the people who work there, it's just like a little family. And Dimitris even gave us his personal cell phone number in case at any time we felt unsafe in an area and needed to be picked up by him personally. And when we left (on our way to Florence) he said to not hesitate to call him, even from Florence, and he would do anything he could to help us. Have you ever heard of such kindness from a hotel? I have not and that's why we can't wait to come back and visit Hotel Micalo and the beautiful city of Naples.

On another note about Naples. At no time did I ever feel unsafe in Naples. The people here are so vibrant, fun, stylish and full of life. Our next stop was Florence and we were so disappointed because it cannot even begin to compare to Naples. I never thought I would say that but the entire time we were in Florence we compared it to Naples. The food was horrible, the people were not as warm and the attractions cannot begin to compare to those of Naples. If only we had ended our trip with Hotel Micalo and Naples. Thank you so much for making this the best trip of our life! We cannot wait to come back and explore more of this great city!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family