Hotel Micalo
  • Beachfront
Crispi Hotel(Naples)
Pinto-Storey(Naples)
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Don't listen to the guide books (Rick Steve in particular) there is a lot to do and see in Naples and it deserves your time. We stayed at the Micalo and it was fantastic. We traveled with our young children, my sister and a friend and needed many rooms. All rooms were clean and modern. We LOVED the linen sheets. Such a treat. The staff were incredible. The young lady in the front Adrianna was exceptional. She helped us with tours arrangements, dinner reservations and all other silly small things. This is a gem of a hotel. In a great location within walking distance to the Historic Center. Strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2010

My wife and I enjoyed a one stay at this small hotel in the Chiaia area of Napoli. If you are a walker, you can walk to most of the attractive areas of the city from here. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2010

We booked this hotel via the internet and sent a detailed email that we needed rooms for 9 persons over 3 nights. On arrival we were informed that on one night we were one room short so to make up they added a portable bed into an already crowded triple room and charged us an extra 45 euros for their mistake. On the final night for 6 persons they had booked 4 rooms when we only required 2 triple rooms and insisted we pay for the extra room. We disputed this and they agreed not to charge us for the extra room which was not required in the first place and also to waiver the portable bed fee despite the fact they had erred in not booking the extra room in the first place. On departure we settled the account but on our return to Australia there was an email from the hotel that they had deducted from my credit card 180 euros for the extra room that we never wanted in the first place and also the 45 euros for the portable bed. The poor attitude and unprofessionalism displayed was the worst we have experienced and I would never recommend this hotel. Also be advised that although the rooms themselves are of a good standard, the front courtyard is unpleasant and the sole lift is extremely small.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank GuidoAustralia
Reviewed 22 March 2010

We picked up this hotel in Chic Retreat and felt it looked good. However, how wrong can you be. I checked before confirming our booking that the Road Works had finished outside the hotel. We were told that the works had indeed moved down the road. That's a lie. They hadn't and indeed are still right outside the hotel. The noise though to be fair is not the bad from the front and was tolerable. So why you may ask am I complaining. Well I will try and be as non partial as I can.

We stayed in a room with a sea view at the front, costing 200 euros a night. We expected a good standard of hotel.

The entrance to the building is situated between a launderette and a car mechanics garage. Also the courtyard leading to the hotel is disgustingly dirty and it felt like you were entering a prison. The Hotel is one floor on the 2nd. The entrance is ok. Daniel who greeted us tried to keep us happy, but our dissapointment at the first impression clear for him to see. The room itself looked out on to the building works and the gardens beyond.

The room itself is split into two levels, the bedroom itself is relatively small with no tea making facilities but does have a fridge. Cloth storage space is minimal. The air conditioning system doesn't work. With the windows closed at night and the padded shutters to reduce noise, it becomes very stuffy and you need fresh air!

The stairs up to the en suite are in my opinion very dangerous and very steep. THe ensuite itself is ok. However the climbing in and out of the shower is slightly tricky with a climb over and into the bath/shower made all the more difficult by the almost 1ft thick side panel. When the bath is wet, watch how you climb.

Breakfast is expensive and very nice when you get it. However each breakfast is individually made and takes ages. Even simple things like Yogurt, coffee and a bowl of fruit took 15 minutes and there was only 5 people in the breakfast area.

Location, not good. It states that it is within easy reach of the harbour for trips to Capri and Sorrento. Technically yes, but when you realise only one sailing goes from this port a day to Capri and that leaves late afternoon, you begin to realise this Hotel is not located ideally. The other (main) port is a good 35 minute walk. The main places of interest are all at least 20 minutes walk.

I would not recommend this hotel at all. Other more minor comments- Cleaner dressed in Jeans, Owner (British woman) has no interest in how you enjoyed your stay. Lumps of 'artistic' rock strategically placed to trip up on or crack your shins.

Sorry but this is not a good place. We will never be going again to this hotel. Definately not one to recommend.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ritchieWestYorkshire
Micalo, Owner at Hotel Micalo, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2010

I am sorry that these clients did not enjoyed their stay with us. Most clients sent to us through Chic Retreats do. They are very selective and only accept certain types of hotels. We are a typical Chic Retreats type hotel.
I will respond to this client’s comments.
1) Micalò is set on the second floor of an old 17th-century Neapolitan palazzo. The setting is typically Neapolitan in that it is disordered and surrounded by various merchants (although the mechanic is more than 300 yards alongside the church down the road from us). Riviera di Chiaia is considered one of the most upmarket areas of Napoli, and we can be found right opposite the American consulate. We may not be the choice of someone seeking a classic 5 star hotel but the palazzo is very characteristic of the city.
2) There are a minimum of ten transfers between Napoli and Capri even in low season, so I cannot understand this comment.. Maybe there was very bad weather and some services had been suspended.
3) There are two ports near us, Mergellina across the road (5 minutes on foot) and Beverello, 5 minutes by taxi using the tunnel. If you want to walk the scenic route along the seafront in and out of the bays, to Beverello it can take 35 minutes.
4) Breakfast is ALWAYS included in the price. What does he mean it is expensive?
5)We are very clear on the website that the rooms are all duplex except on request for groundfloor bathroom.
6) Within 10 minutes walk from Micalò you will find Pan modern art museum, the Aquarium, Villa Pignatelli, Castel dell’Ovo and the main chic shopping centre. Within 15 minutes walk there is Piazza Plebiscito, San Carlo opera house, Galleria Umberto, Palazzo Reale, Napoli Sotterranea … The central historical area is easily reachable by underground, 2 stops from Mergellina station, which is 3-5 mins walk away. With respect to sight seeing I really would like to Know which other hotel is so well placed!!

Reviewed 24 November 2009

I have never writen a review and do not like the ability of people being able to influence a person's business (in this case a family run hotel) without proper appeal. However, I have to add my comments to the Micalo review site because some of the comments I read are unjust and wrong. We stayed for 4 nights and, well, it's different! It is expensive but you get what you pay for and if you want plastic accommodation with a pool and disinterested staff, well, go look elsewhere, the Micalo is none of these, it is however, 'different' and in a way sums up Naples, in that it is a wonderful, friendly hotel with a whacky entrance that you could easily miss but, who cares? You are not staying in the entrance; so go in and see what it's all about.

Clean, excellent breakfast, really helpful people, stylish (not for the very overwheight or disabled) rooms with a mezzanine bathroom which has really cool fittings. Great bed and sheets and fluffy towels (one of my indicators of lushness!). The great misfortune are the works out front, they are very noisey and look as if they will last a while. The lads fire up the machinery at 7.30am and work on Saturday, so no lazy 'meridionale' workers here. Once the works finish the view will be super; our view was poor but, with rooms like this, you are not going to be looking out that much. I felt very sorry for them but it is completely out of their control.

One last point, Naples has many 'challenging ' locations; the Micalo is in a super place, really interesting area 10 minutes walk from the historic centre and it feels safe. I was a little concerned about what I had read but we had no problems at all, indeed the Neapolitans were friendly and helpful; a colourful bunch and boy can they talk, but we were totally knocked out by the place. Came back with wallet and watch intact. It might be the location made all the difference so if you are concerned about location in this wild, noisey, dirty and exciting city you could do a lot worse than stay in the Ciaia district.

Richard