“Good location, great service”

Hotel Art Resort Galleria Umberto
Ranked #57 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

We had a room that was not through the hotel's main entrance. Seemed dodgy at first, but all turned out fine.

Only 4 rooms on our section. Was loud when the reception rings in the middle of the night- can hear it from our room.

Breakfast was great. They even boiled eggs for us on request.

Free champagne between 7-9pm. But tea & coffee wasn't free.

The staffs were very good and helpful.

All in all, not a bad place to stay. Quite safe too.

• Stayed: October 2012
artresort, Direttore generale at Hotel Art Resort Galleria Umberto, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for take the time to write down this comment.
We're sorry if some aspects of the hotel wasn't so satisfaying for you, and we appreciate the beautiful words you wrote.

We'll welcome the constructive critics because these can help us to improve our service.
We hope to have again as our guest in future to offer a better stay.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

We enjoyed staying there very much. The staff was friendly and helpful, the location is the best, right in the middle of everything, and the room was clean and nice, above the impressive Galleria Umberto shopping center.
Thank you, Cesar and Jennifer, for your help in any of our needs including the complicated parking in Naples.
Probably we will visit you and lovely Naples again.

SCHWARTZ E & D,ISRAEL

1  Thank ESTDAN
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I probably would have given this hotel a higher rating but unfortunately, several things contributed to a not-so-favorable impression overall. The pros: unique small hotel in an even more unique location, the 4th floor of the spectacular Galleria; great staff; hearty breakfast. We arrived 9/19 for a 2 night stay. The lift was broken, not so much a problem for us to walk, but I did feel bad for the boys carrying our suitcases, heavier after a 2-week trip. We were a little early for check-in, not a problem, as it allowed time to talk with the staff about our reason for coming to Naples. I was born there (military family), had returned one time as a child, and this time as an adult, more on my elderly mother's behalf. She loves Naples and is very sentimental about the years they lived there. My mission was to go to our old neighborhood and take photos and video. Cesar was extremely helpful, looking over my childhood photos and pulling up the location on the computer. Turns out he is from the same area - Posillipo - and even saw his house in one of my photos! A very pleasant coincidence. On the morning of our 2nd and last day, we talked to the front desk receptionist about our need to check out early the next morning. We had a 7 a.m. flight back to Los Angeles. We worked out the details with her as to what time we had to be in the lobby to check out, call a cab and get our bags downstairs (with or without the elevator). We agreed on 4:45 a.m. This was discussed before and after breakfast, and she said there was no problem with the early time. That evening she asked us to settle our bill then, as there would be no one at the desk that early the next morning, but someone would still be there to see us out, get the cab,carry the bags and even pack us a little breakfast to go. We repeatedly said, "Are you sure? He'll be here at 4:45 a.m.?" She assured us several times "Yes". The next morning, we leave our room and encounter complete darkness. We fumble our way to the lobby and discover we are locked in. The big huge 9 foot wooden doors are bolted shut. We feel around, trying to locate a light switch, make noise to wake someone up or even trigger an alarm, panicked that we were going to miss out flight. Nothing. My husband is trying our room key in the deadbolt, but it didn't work. We see vertical bolts in the door, top and bottom, and start to wiggle those loose. They finally released and the doors bowed open slightly. My husband kept pushing on them and thank goodness, the deadbolt was not that long and the doors opened in spite of it. We made it downstairs, saw one cab sitting in the taxi area and made our flight. But can you imagine?! Being locked in a hotel is outrageous, not to mention dangerous! Besides the huge inconvenience of missing a flight, what if a guest had an emergency or illness and had to suddenly leave? What about a fire? I'm just shocked. I don't know where the communication broke down - we talked to the receptionist on 4 separate occasions about our need to leave by 4:45 a.m. and she repeatedly said it was ok. Well, it wasn't. Other cons: rooms not too clean - mildew on the tub and shower curtain; ants in our bed (gross) and bathroom; no safe (although, I guess if they lock you in, no one else can make it either! haha); the apertif was a half glass of warm prossuco and stale pretzels. In spite of all that, I still would have given it a slightly better rating, but sorry - being locked in did it for me. Completely unacceptable and I cannot recommend this hotel.

6  Thank 2012Julia
artresort, Responsabile reception at Hotel Art Resort Galleria Umberto, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Dear Madame,

I remember you and your story very well. We're very happy to be useful to you.
We're sorry you didn't have enjoyed your stay here, but I 'd like to add something.
During the night there's a bell on the desk to ring if noone is there at the moment.
We close any door for safety but you're not locked inside the hotel, of course!
Any room has a safe in it, is not in the closet, like many guest think, but it sufficed to ask us and we we'll give you the key or the password to use.it, for free.
I'm sorry you said the room was not cleaned..but it's difficult to believe that you find ants in yuor bed and above all that you DIDN'T say anithing????
Hope you trip back has been find, and that your research has been good.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

At best 2 star, we had 4 terrible nights here, hotel on 4th floor and the lift was broken for 2 days and the stairs are very long to each floor, I have a heart problem and we had to stay in one evening as I couldn't attempt stairs, apparently the lift braking down is common, we had room over looking galleria and at night until 12.30am kids were playing football = every night was very noisy, the toilet paper not renewed each day, I asked reception and we were given 12" kitchen roll, the porter spoke good english and said there was none left he would try tomorrow ?. Rooms very dated, bath very dirty, jacuzzi pumped out a brown rusty scum, breakfast was horrible, hotel staff not considerate about the lift problem. VERY DIRTY, DATED, BAD SERVICE, BAD BREAKFAST, VERY NOISY .... DONT MAKE MISTAKE OF BOOKING !.

Room Tip: Galleria and road facing rooms very NOISY !. No good rooms here.
8  Thank 58london

Dear Sir,

Than you for you review.
We're sorry you didn't like your stay here.
We prefer when guest during the stay complain, and not only after when nothing could be done.
Unfortunatelt the lift was broken and we apologize several time for this. It has happend only one night and not 2. we called the assistance as soon as possible.
If you have problem with room in which you were, you shioul have told us, we can arrange another room for you.
As for breakfast... that's what we usually offer: 3/4 kind of cakes, eggs, 2 kind of cheese, ham, salame and bacon; mozzarella, tomatoes, mais, wurstel, 3 kind of fresh bread and bread in slices for toast, fruits and fresh orange juice, yogurt, cfresh croissants and briosches, butter, marmalade, 4 kind of cereals and so on. But if you like something different, you should only ask and we'd prepare for you.

I dont' think your is a constructive critic, but thanks anyway.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

Hotel Art Resort Galleria Umberto was my base for two days in Naples at the end of August. Entering from the Galleria Umberto shopping centre the first impressions were magnificent. But expectations took a nosedive when I was informed that my room was in fact in a different part of the hotel, which is accessible only from the nearby Via Santa Brigida. A friendly member of the hotel staff escorted me and my bags on the short walk across to Via Santa Brigida (just outside the shopping centre). The entrance on Via Santa Brigida and the inside of the building are significantly less salubrious than the ‘flag ship’ premises, and the hotel appears to share space with various other entities. Nevertheless, the comfortable and spacious bedrooms and dining room (including a balcony option) provide splendid views of the Galleria Umberto shopping centre.

Some of the best coffee in the world is available in Naples and you don’t have to go very far from this hotel to find it – but you will be hard pressed to find a decent cup of coffee inside Hotel Art Resort Galleria Umberto. Breakfast in the hotel generally was disappointing.

Probably worth noting that Naples in August is very hot – but soap and shampoo appear to be strictly rationed in Hotel Art Resort Galleria Umberto. One small bar of soap and one tiny bottle of shampoo/shower gel are all that is provided. Thankfully I had my own shampoo and the very friendly staff kindly provided extra soap … when requested.

As for location, you couldn’t ask for much better. The Castle and Port (bus stop to airport is at the port) are a short 5 and 10 min walk away. The main shopping area is on your door step and some excellent pizzerias, and restaurants within walking distance.

Oh and of course if you happen to be based in the Hotel Art Resort Galleria Umberto in Via Santa Brigida you will be next door to the beautiful 17th century Chiesa di Santa Brigida.

Room Tip: Bring your own shower gel and shampoo
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2012

The staff here is young, enthusiastic, friendly and professional. The charming red haired manager, Manuel, and Jennifer, and Cesar, all made my brief stay memorable. The hotel is in a very convenient location, a short walk from the Molo Beverello, where you can get a boat to Capri or other places. My flight arrived in Naples after dark, so I called the hotel to ask directions. Jennifer kindly explained everything. The airport bus dropped me at the Molo, (called porto by the bus driver) From there, several kind people gave me directions to Galleria Umberto which everyone knows. The hotel is inside the Galleria, and I felt really safe there. My room had a view of the inside of the beautiful Galleria, and it was very quiet at night, as the shops there were closed. The decor is artistic and tasteful with original paintings on the walls. Everything very clean. The only reason I did not not give 5 stars was the breakfast could have been fresher: bread seemed old and fruit was cut night before. (Maybe it was just me that didn't feel so fresh after an extremely long flight...) I love this hotel and will stay again when in Naples, for the wonderful staff and excellent location.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inside of the galleria ( a beautiful 19th century shopping mall) very quiet
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed 7 nights (8 were booked, but an electrical fault meant we had to stay one night in a nearby Mercure; this was all arranged very capably and politely by the staff at the HARGU). We didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel, leaving before 8 every morning for sightseeing (there is a very convenient bus connection to central station, for Pompeii etc.) and returning late in the afternoon for a short siesta and shower before dinner in one of the nearby restaurants. The hotel more than met our requirements, although if you don't like lots of stairs it may not be for you (there is a small lift!). The unobtrusively polite, friendly and competent service is one thing I will remember, also the individual decor (much nicer than clinical blandness of the corporate chains). We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple