“An amazing place to stay!”

Hotel Art Resort Galleria Umberto
Ranked #55 of 186 Hotels in Naples
“An amazing place to stay!”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

My wife & I arrived there on our honeymoon. The hotel is in the beautiful Galleria Umberto. When we arrived we were suprised with a free upgrade on our room because we were on our honeymoon. The room was fantastic spacious, beautifully furnished and clean.

The hotel had great service and we enjoyed chatting with the staff in the breakfast room in the mornings. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lukenuke777
artresort, Direttore at Hotel Art Resort Galleria Umberto, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Good monring from Art Resort,

we thank you for your beautiful words with which you describe out hotel and the kindness of our staff.

We hope to have you in future again here.

Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Czech first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2013

our family (with 2 kids ) booked this hotel for 3 night during the holiday time, we paid 180Euro per night for a Family room for 4 pax- then we find it is a normal room with a bulk bed and facing the back street. And bath room is very small and we could not put anything out from our suitcase. No tea cups and kettle in the room, and the biscuit wasn't free(they are free in the most hotels), this hotel charged for it.

This is a very small hotel (Even the pictures shows bigger, but how many is showing the hotel itself?). So pls don't expecting any public area such as lobby or more space here - just a reception area + a small b'fast room and few guest rooms.

Having said that, the location is great and very special, staff are friendly, breakfast are simply and nice. We love the city, and ready to come back with the kids, but we are sure 3 nights to stay in this hotel is too long(and overcharged for the room we stayed), 1 night to experience it is enough for someone attacted by its uniqueness.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Yasmin172
artresort, Direttore generale at Hotel Art Resort Galleria Umberto, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear Madame,

Thank you for leaving a feedback on Tripadvisor.
We'd like to answer to some statements you wrote.
Our family rooms have bunk bed or the possibility to have 2 single beds. People have onlt to ask what they prefer at the moment of the reservation.
As the view, we have a full description of it on our website. The "back street" is the view on the historic suqare where our famous newspaper was founded IL MATTINO, and on Via Toledo, the main street of Naples (pedestrian, shopping ares). beside from your room you can also see the hill of San Martino, with its Charterhouse and the Castle Sant Elmo. Any person can choose at the moment of the reservation if they like Galleria View or the balcony overlooking the city and the hill.
As the minibar, you have on the desk in the room a menù where are pointed all the prices of drinks or foods we offer in our room. As for the kettle, is not pointed in our facilities we have in hotel or room.
We're sorry if you haven't been completely satisfied of your stay, but we pointed all our services available in room.
Our hotel is small boutique hotel of 15 rooms, its partcularity it's just this one.
We'd like to thank you for the kind word for our staff and for the location.
Naples should be visited for long, it's a city to discover.

Regards
PA, USA
Reviewed 7 April 2013

If you're attending an opera, this is THE place to stay. It's close to many cafes and great restaurants and shops. Beautiful setting and a staff that goes out of the way to make sure you enjoy your stay. Old world setting with good sized rooms. Clean and comfortable. 1 suggestion...add lighting to the bathrooms. If you like a sunny room ask for an outside room rather than 1 that overlooks the galleria.

Room Tip: For sun lovers, ask for an outside room rather than 1 that overlooks the galleria.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Saint Clair, Michigan
Reviewed 24 March 2013

The location of this hotel is fantastic! There are shops and bars in the galleria and the atmosphere makes you feel like you are stepping back in time. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and functional. The breakfast was sufficient. The only two problems were that the bathrooms needed to be updated (old tile and shower). I like being in an old hotel but not an old bathroom. Another problem was the noise. There were kids playing in the galleria late into the night yelling and bouncing balls off the wall. The noise echoed up into our rooms as if we were in an inside swimming pool. If you are a sound sleeper like me then this may not be a problem, but if you need a quiet place to get your beauty rest then this might not be the place for you. We considered it part of the experience and enjoyed it. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Switzerland
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I have mixed feelings about this hotel experience.

It starts with finding the hotel - wow... amazing location - the Galleria Umberto is spectacular!
But I got up to the hotel, to discover that I was not staying there. I was led out and around to another part of the building, assured as I went that this was still part of the hotel. Um... ok. It was still in part of the same big building, and the breakfast terrace was one of the high balconies of the galleria, so that was cool.

My room in this second part of the hotel was an odd shape - with a little kitchenette, and hung with rather lovely gilt edged paintings (living up to the Art Resort title). There was only a tiny bit of room on either side of the bed, but it was enough. It was generally clean, although I found an open packet of biscuits in the kitchen cupboard. There was a small selection of toiletries - shampoo, soap, "personal care" kit, showercap.

For me the bathroom was the big disappointment. The website for the hotel says that even just the classic rooms have: "hydromassage bath or hydro-shower box". It was one of the sales points for me - after a long day of walking around town being able to have a soak or at least a good massage shower was going to be a joy. But no, it was a very ordinary shower. Maybe I have a different definition of a hydro-shower? But no, a search on the web finds that my definition was correct.

There was no information in the room about any facilities in the hotel, or how to use any of the equipment. The television had absolutely no English channels - not even the usual boring CNN or BBC news.

The other problem with my room was that I could hear every phone call, door bell or other movement into or out of the place. It was a quiet period, and I had my earplugs, so it wasn't insurmountable.

On the plus side, there was a little apero organised each evening on the terrace, which was nice and I met some really lovely people there.

Breakfast in this part of the hotel was not quite as varied as in the main hotel (guest were welcome to eat in either place), but was fine. There was normally eggs and bacon, which could be reheated if needed, bread, cakes, cereal, and a couple of juices.

The only other note is that the map they gave me was one of the most useless maps I have ever been given in a hotel anywhere in the world. It failed to actually label any of the museums, castles or other sites of the city, or any of the transport options to get around the city. It also failed to actually show the hotel on the map. It did have street names at least, which was useful and an improvement on the map I was given by my next hotel in the same city.

The staff were very nice and helpful, and the location of the hotel in Naples is top notch - very near to both a bus stop and a funicular stop, and in a good part of town.

Room Tip: I suspect that the rooms in the main hotel were better than in this sub-hotel, so I would suggest tr...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Kiriel
artresort, Responsabile reception at Hotel Art Resort Galleria Umberto, responded to this review, 22 November 2012
Good afternoon,

We thank you for leaving this message here.
We're sorry if you do not appreciate the stay here in the whole.
We encourage guests to suggest us how improve the service. We'd like only to specify that the Classic Room have no hydromassage.

Hope to have you as a guest again,

Regards
Hakuba-mura, Japan
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My experience at Galleria Umberto was absolutely fantastic. It wasn't quite perfect, which I will get to in a moment, but I definitely feel that it enhanced my experience in Naples and I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat if I ever come back.

Let's start with my pre-checkin experience. I was exchanging e-mails with the staff prior to my check-in to confirm services and information in advance. Their response was prompt and helpful, but I found myself having to repeat some information to them a couple times because different staff members would respond.

Next, checkin. We had the staff arrange a shuttle service for my party, and the driver was waiting for us and everything was perfect. However, upon talking to the driver he didn't seem aware that we had arranged for a roundtrip service. I don't know if this was due to his lack of English skills or either his company or our hotel not relaying the proper information to him, but it was all sorted out by the time we checked in. Upon arrival to the hotel, the driver led us to a huge wooden door with nothing signifying that it's the Galleria Umberto hotel. If it wasn't for this driver, I'm sure we would have never figured out where the entrance to the hotel is. The checkin procedure itself was smooth and easy. Stefania took our names, copied our passports and we were in our rooms within 5 minutes.

The room. Absolutely stunning. The high ceiling, the beautiful furniture and the view of the Galleria Umberto arcade from my window made me feel like classic European royalty. Wi-Fi was easy to connect to and I had a strong connection throughout the entire time. The tile flooring is necessary for the atmosphere of the room, but for practicality's sake it is a bit unfortunate as sound easily carries throughout the hallway. I thought my phone was ringing a couple of times only to find out that it was the Front Desk's phone. I must have been lucky or slept well on their bed as I was never waken up by any inconsiderate guests. However, as the arcade of the Galleria Umberto is open to the public I heard kids running and shouting quite late into the evening, but noise from the outside is a risk you run for most hotels located in the heart of a city. I was here on business for a stay of 8 days, but there is enough storage space to put all my clothes and belongings. There is only one open electric outlet so bringing a multi adapter is recommended. The bathroom is normal. Clean, but nothing elegant. Amenities included liquid bath soap, shower cap, makeup set and bar soap. The bathtub had a jacuzzi, which was a pleasant surprise to us.

Breakfast service. To be able to have my breakfast from the balcony of the Galleria Umberto made me feel on top of the world! The weather was great, the view was gorgeous and the arcade had just few people in there so it was not noisy at all. The breakfast was simple and satisfactory. The hot food was minimal (eggs, sausage, bacon) and kept in a chaffer with no heat from the bottom so it was lukewarm at best. There were over a dozen assortments of breads and pastries which were delicious, but I also wondered how frequently they are circulated. Depending on the day, some of the pastries seemed less fresh than the day before. Also available were ham, salami, cheese, yogurt, granola and fruit so the variety was plentiful. The kiwi was very hard and tart, so I would suggest perhaps having fruits that are in season to avoid that problem. The breakfast was the same every day, so please be aware if you are going to have an extended stay there.

Staff. The staff was very helpful, for the most part. Stefania kept us well informed and answered our questions and concerns promptly. The night staff was not as informed and only understood enough English to help us with questions we had regarding the hotel and room service. When we would come home late at night, we had to wait until morning to ask our questions. As it is a very small hotel, the receptionist also cleaned the rooms. Housekeeping was inconsistent. Some days my sheets and towels were not changed, my clothes may or may not be folded and the bath amenities were not changed daily. What I did notice was that the bed was made, the trash taken out and the floor was cleaned. The largest concern for me was that my room was not always locked after it was cleaned, as I noticed twice that my room was unlocked when I returned at the end of the day.

Overall review. This appears to be a 5 star hotel with a 3 star service. It claims to be a 4 star hotel, which would be appropriate if you take the average of the two. The hotel quality far exceeded expectations, but the service fell short of it. It is definitely a great place for the price that was paid for. There is definitely room for improvement, but I was satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank tabo51
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Worst hotel we have ever stayed at. Breakfast cold. Rooms noisy, Kids playing football in galleria until midnight.Lift was broken, Very long flights of stairs, Room decor dated, Bathroom very dirty / No toilet tissue, Dont know how they got a 4 star / probably 2 at best. Receptionist didn't understand English and we couldn't understand her.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple