“Great base for US Consulate business”

B&B Casa Mira Napoli
Ranked #70 of 683 Naples B&B and Inns
dc
“Great base for US Consulate business”
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I had to go to Naples to take care of some Visa business at the US Consulate and selected Casa Mira Napoli as my home base based on the TripAdvisor reviews. Here is my review along with some notes about Visa appointments for those who are in the same boat I was:

Hotel Review
This B&B consists of a common room with doors that lead off to each of the rooms, named by color. We stayed in the blue, green, and red rooms. Blue room is big with a small terrace that is shared with the yellow room. Separated by some plants. The room is big and has a nice bathroom. The terrace is pretty tight and we did not really use it. The red room is really small but still pretty nice. There is a small window that looks into an inner area. Not much to see but at least fresh air. It has a private bathroom and is good for a single person on a budget. It can also be closed off with the green room to make a private 2 bedroom apartment. The green room has a nice view of the water. I really liked this room and enjoyed the view but it is a bit smaller than the blue room and the shower head was broken on my stay. I also looked in on the yellow room which has a smaller bed but a bigger terrace. All of the rooms are well furnished and designed and super comfortable.

The food selection is great. They have a well stocked cabinet with a fridge filled with snacks. There are pastries, cured meat, cheese, yogurt, coffee, tea, chocolate milk, water, chocolates, etc... Lots of snacks which was really nice to have when you needed a quick bite.

We had to get up early so only got the croissants one morning. They were ok but nothing too great. When you book the room, you will deal with Gina but her daughter is the one you see when you get there. She lives in an apartment across the hall. Gina's son Gabrielle picked us up from the airport and was super friendly and helpful and gave us lots of great advice about the city.

I loved the location. For me, it was perfect for exploring the city and super convenient for the consulate. We spent one day heading into Posilippo by foot which is easily the most beautiful and trafficked area of Naples.

My only complaints about the B&B would be that the common area is right outside all of the doors so you hear everything out there. Not great if you want privacy or if people wake up for an early breakfast. Also, Gina is pretty hardcore about the 11am checkout but did let us store bags at her daughters house. We flew out at night and it would have been nice to still have some access to at least a decent bathroom.

The best part of the B&B, besides the great food and free wi-fi, is the fact that Gina and her team have dealt with many people coming to the Consulate and know a lot about how the process works and are super helpful in making sure things go smooth. They drove us to the medical appointment in Varelli. Also, another guest was in the same situation as us so we were able to take care of everything together and share the experience. This was the main reason I chose Casa Mira to make sure I was in good hands for dealing with the Visa business and it really delivered.

VISA ADVICE!!!
As for the Visa, everything worked out. Day 1 you go to Varelli for the medical. We got there at 8. They take blood and then you get an x ray and then there is an interview. We were done by 11 and they told us to come back at 12 to pick up the documents. The problem is Varelli sucks and there is nothing to see or do there. When we came back, the printer was broken and we wound up getting our documents at 1:45. My guess is that it is pretty standard to get out around this time. I had my iphone and just watched movies the whole time so it passed quickly. Bring cash to pay. I did not see anyone have any issues with the medical. We had worried about vaccinations but in the end, they said my mother in law only needed tetinus. Maybe try to call before you go and try to find out what is needed so you do not over prepare.

They told us we needed to go right to the consulate after which we did. We all mad rushed by taxi over there. This was to take fingerprints and get your photos so they can run them through the system to make sure there are no issues. Nobody takes the medical forms. Varelli contacts the consulate if there are issues. Make sure your photos are the right size. There is a place to take them right down the street.

Day 2, we woke up early to be first in line at the consulate. This was a great idea because we were the first processed and first to finish. The consulate staff is first rate and really friendly. Make sure you have your documents in order. Original copies and make sure you have copies of passports for anyone involved with your application. Our stuff was fine but I did see others who had issues. One lady needed an original copy of her diploma and another couple needed a copy of a passport. I think you might be able to send your documents in advance so they can review them. It would suck to get there and find out you needed 1 thing that you dont have. We emailed beforehand with a lady named Cristina and she was the one at the window that we dealt with.

Alli in all, they were super nice. A lot better than US mainland immigration employees. The interview was through a window and really quick. They asked why she wanted to come to US, she said some oath or something and it was done. They asked her to go to a Mailbox Etc. down the street at 5 to pick up the Visa. Not sure why Mailbox Etc. You have to pay a meaningless fee when you pick up the visa so bring some cash. It was only like 6 euro. I stayed for 3 days but I think you only need 2 unless you dont have a document and need to go back the next day. A funny thing is that you go through all of this with the same people and by the end everyone knows each other and is friends. A group of people all trying to get to the USA. Good luck with your adventure!

Oh, also make sure to try the fried pizza at Regina Margherita over near the castle on the water. That was my spot.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank poppadella
casamiranapoli, Proprietario at B&B Casa Mira Napoli, responded to this review, 22 June 2011
Dear guest
I Thank for the beautiful review .
I'm Gina , Alessandra's mom.
When you where in our b&b , I was in holiday , out of Naples, so we did not meet at all. I usually
stay every afternoon in b&b checking if everything is ok and meeting guest
I'm sorry for your problem with shower , but I think we did not see it soon.
We always repair something broken , as soon as possible , when we notice it.
Also I'm sorry for your problem with bathroom when you took your luggage , but
we have a bathroom in the other part of the house that you could use if you had ask ( sorry for my bad english ) I think you did not ask us to use it.
We sometimes forget to ask if the guest need bathroom.
I'm happy that you have marked this problem so we can to place more attention.
For the common area , .....at moment this is the b&b, in future I think I'll change something about that.... Also I'll make an hole on the ceiling for light and air....But I do not know when
I hope your things for Consulate where ok and I hope also you will come in our b&b as guest
for appreciate our town
Best regards
Gina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Israel, Tel Aviv
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I was staying in b&b Casa Mira Napoli just one night, but I have a good feeling I get back there again. It seems that the b&b is managed with a lot of thought and love, by Gina and Alessandra. I really recommend the place for anyone who like to stay in family run b&b, rather than big hotels. The area itself is nice and close to the public gardens of Villa Comunale, the ' Riviera di Chiaia' and Mergellina Station.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank chazarnu
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Yes Best because we were treated at the best by Gina and Alessandra, with grace and warmth of an exceptional host. We were so glad that we chose such a wonderful place run by such a sincere and caring owners. They made us feel home right from the first moment.They were there if you need them but never disturb your privacy.
Independent entrance made us feel home. The room was very clean with nice bathroom and a fantastic view on the sea and Vesuvio. We had a TV in the room and access to our
e-mail by the computer in the hall. Good sleep with no street noise at all. The breakfast was rich and served on a nice big table shared by other clients. Alessandra suggested us some nice restaurants and pizzerias nearby and we really loved the food. We recommend this b&b to whoever wants a hotel service and homely warm place in Naples.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank vasso3
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights in June, as a base to visit Capri, Pompeii. A very nice place overall, although a little far from the Centro Storico and themain train station, but it is VERY easy to get buses just outside the place and the metro station is a 3 min. walk away.
Gina was always very prompt and very helpful and so was her daughter (Alessandra I think) who manages the place. Very welcoming, very warm.
The croissants at breakfast are to die for ! : )

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chaitdesh
London
Reviewed 3 June 2010

This was my second time at the Casa Mira Napoli. It is one of the reasons I returned to Naples, as I had such a pleasant stay last year. Each time I came for a week's holiday, but now (I am a writer) I am considering going back for a week to use it as a place to write, as it is so inspirational and relaxing. And as I said, the view is incredible.

It is on the 10th floor, which means you get to use the old fashioned lift. There are just four rooms, all leading into a central dining room and each guest is independent, yet Alessandra is always on hand next door, if you need anything. Something wonderful is always on the stove there and sends you scurrying downstairs to the myriad trattorias to discover the endless culinary delights of Naples.

At Casa Mira Napoli the service (they will even pick you up at the airport or stazione), the fully stocked fridge, the sumptuous breakfast, the ambience and the mod cons, i.e. full air-conditioning, Sky TV, comfortable beds, great showers, internet, coffee machine etc is impeccable and the warmth and friendliness of the hostesses Gina and Alessandra is like sunshine. The location is also perfect for getting around, for Mira Casa Napoli is located in the musical sounding area of Mergelina.

Two of the rooms overlook the bay of Naples and many evenings I walked along it imbibing the beauty of the sea air, the life of the local families out for walks and wound up at Ciros for their famous gelato! I have also taken boat trips to Capri and Sorrento and Amalfi from there.

The other two rooms (with their own terrace!) overlook the fabulous Via Giordano Bruno, which in itself is a fascinating street, packed with tiny bakeries and patisseries, salumeria -- where they sell only cured meats, cafés, restaurants, bars as well as a supermarket, shoe shops, fashion shops, lots of banks, stalls selling cheap handbags and dresses you name it!

A little further down and to the right is an amazing fruit,veg and clothes market, full of boisterous friendly traders shouting their wares, selling punnets of ripe wild strawberries, cherries, apricots as well as beans,zuccini flowers,varieties of plump red pomodori! As you walk on, reeling with the sounds and smells, you reach the zenith of pleasure: Nonna Anna, which is a tiny canteen where freshly cooked pasta, beans, meats, seafood is served daily strictly between 12-3 to a variety of punters. Market traders jostle shoulders with manual workers, shopkeepers, local writers, media people, boat captains, itinerants, families and well, just about anybody! I want to say ‘all of Naples is here’ but of course there is much more, but it is only a walk away!

Fifteen minutes the other way from Casa Mira Napoli is the magnificent Piazza del Plebiscito and ofcourse the famous Grimbus cafe, and then the myriad streets of pizzerias and trattorias, ice cream parlours and these teeming streets are flanked by those tiny streets Napoli is famous for, narrow with washing swaying in the breeze.

From my terrace in Casa Mira Napoli i saw all these moments of Naples, as the lights came on in the houses far away as the sun set. High above the hurly burly you feel transported into a privileged magical world, and for a brief period you can imagine you are living in your own casa, in Napoli, on your own terrace with atmospheric lighting, with a comfortable easy chair and as the perfume of jasmine reaches your senses you feel convinced that all is well with the world.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank Lili37
Milan
Reviewed 16 April 2010

We stayed here twice, having found the B&B recommended for those having business to take care of at the U.S. Consulate. It was exactly what we wanted and the owners helped us take care of everything from the transportation in from the train station to transportation to the medical exams required by the consulate. The second trip to Naples was unexpected, and Signora Grosso was able to give us a room at the last minute at a very reasonable rate. She did everything she could to lessen the stress of that unforeseen last-minute trip, and we knew that at least we didn't have to worry about where we would stay. Honestly, if I were to go back to Naples and didn't need to be near the consulate, I think I'd actually still prefer to stay in this area. It's far enough away from Naples' chaotic center but close enough to walk (provided you like to walk - we do and enjoyed walking along the waterfront!) or take public transportation to get there quickly. I liked being in this residential neighborhood, being near the water, the restaurants and cafes along the water and seeing how the Neapolitans live. We can't say enough about this place. Guests are treated like family, but at the same time, privacy is respected and you can come and go as you please. I wish we would have been there under more relaxing circumstances and could have taken advantage of the beautiful terrace with sea view. Next time!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank michellemilan
Sussex
Reviewed 19 October 2009

We travelled to Naples for a friend's wedding and stayed at Casa Mira Napoli for 4 nights.
The location was great, close the the trendy area of Chia and just a short stroll to some great little restaurants on the piaza at the end of the street.
The rooms were tastefully decorated and very clean and homely. Our room had doors to a small terrace with table and chairs where we enjoyed a sundowner and breakfast on most days. The breakfast was one of the best ones I've had in Eurpoe and included fresh pasteries and freshly sliced ham and cheese from the local deli everyday.
The room had Sky TV and there was internet access in the dining room for guests to use.
The staff were lovely and really helpful - from finding us an iron, to phoning around local B&Bs for a friend ours who had decided to stay in Naples for another 2 nights (and Casa Napoli was fully booked).
Many thanks Gina & Alesandro for making our stay in Naples so welcoming.
Abbie & Aaron (UK)