“third visit to Weekend a Napoli in Villa Maria”
Review of Week-end a Napoli

Week-end a Napoli
Ranked #28 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This hotel has become my home from home when I visit my friends at the Vomero. The accommodation is clean and bright.. You will always be assured of a warm welcome from Patrizia and Paolo and their staff, They will all do their best to make sure your stay is memorable. The accomodation is set in Villa Maria, rooms in apartments, each with on suite. Clean and warm. You are offered an ample continental breakfast of tea coffee, fruit juices, cereals, rolls, cakes, buscuits, yoghurt, jams, marmalade etc.They can also recommend a number of restaurants offering neapolitan cuisine at very reasonable prices. As previous reviewers have mentioned you can reach other parts of Naples easily via Funiculari, buses and the underground. The port for the ferries to Sorrento, Capri, Ischia and Procido is easily accessible also. The Vomero also offers many small shops worth browsing. I have always felt quite safe walking around the area whatever time of day it is. During the rush hour it took my taxi just 20 minutes to get to the airport a journey which normally takes 10 - 15 minutes.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank SigmaDelta130243

Reviewed 21 March 2012

After spending 10 great days in Sicily my husband and I were not necessarily looking forward to our stay in Naples, especially after read some scary stuff in relation to crime. But we wanted to see Pompeii before we departed Italy from NAP. We chose Week-end a Napoli (WAN) first, for its location in Vomero, a tranquil neighborhood, and second for its reviews on TripAdvisor. However, after spending 2 nights at WAN and meeting the wonderful hosts, Paolo and Patrizia, we didn’t want to leave! I don’t know how to explain our experience at Week-end a Napoli except that it was just FANTASTIC!

We booked a classic room but we were upgraded to the Capri Suite just off the reception area. This 2-story suite was spacious and spotless, the bathroom modern, and the bed was beyond comfortable. The windows are triple-pane and we heard no street noise from either floor nor did we hear any traffic from the reception area. WiFi connection was one of the fastest I’ve experienced in Europe and there were plenty of English TV channels to lull us to sleep. Common areas were plentiful, and the entire building is modernized, clean and articulately decorated. However, WAN’s greatest asset is Paolo and Patrizia. This couple truly cares about your experience and goes to great efforts to assure that your stay in their B&B and Naples is a wonderful experience.

We arrived from Sicily via TTT’s overnight ferry (great experience). Once docked, we called Paulo who arranged a fixed rate taxi (13 Euro) to meet us at the port. Within ten minutes we were zigzagging our way through the streets of Naples, climbing up to the beautiful, friendly hillside neighborhood of Vomero. We were greeted at the gate by Paolo and escorted to the reception area of his 100 year old family home.

After settling in a bit and getting instructions on how to use the locks and motion-activated lights, Paulo provided a bottle of local wine and a great pretzel snack (I never did find out what it was). We wanted to get some dinner before settling in for the night and took Paolo’s suggestion to dine at the 7-table, private restaurant (Il Basilico) specializing in local cuisine. A course or two into the “dining experience” the restaurant proprietor handed us her cell phone explaining it was Paolo. Since we were in town for such a short period of time, he wanted to show us his city by taking us on a personal tour in his private car. We accepted his generous offer and after a wonderful 5-course meal we were chauffeured around town by Paolo and Patrizia. With the guys in front and the gals in back chatting like old friends, this wonderful couple drove us around town pointing out many of the beautiful (and sometimes not so beautiful) attractions, stopping at some of the best vistas of Naples. We felt like we were visiting family!

The following morning Patrizia greeted us with an abundant continental breakfast (coffee, cereal, sweet breads, juice, fruit) before departing for our Naples and Pompeii tour. Many of the vista stops on the tour were the same places Paolo and Patrizia took us the night before – this couple knows and loves their city. After returning from the tour Paolo again recommended a great little restaurant within walking distance of the B&B. It was near closing time, but Paolo called the restaurant and told them we were on our way. After lunch we walked through the streets of Vomero. The neighborhood is quiet, clean and friendly. We stopped at the Grand Caffe for a cappuccino and the owners were so welcoming and friendly.

Our departure to the airport was early the next morning and again Paolo came to the rescue arranging for a 4:30 am taxi at a fixed rate. This is another wonderful thing about WAN – it’s less than 15 minutes to the airport.

If you are going to Naples do not hesitate to book this B&B. You will not be sorry. Paolo & Patrizia will go out of their way to make you stay memorable. Many people leave their hearts in San Francisco. This Californian couple left their hearts at Week-end a Napoli.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TorresTravels
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I cannot recommend Weekend a Napoli more highly. Outstanding location, property, and hospitality. Especially helpful in helping us navigate around a taxi strike in Naples while we were there. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I stayed at WAN for 4 nights in July 2011 with my 6-year old daughter and my parents (in their 60s). I will definitely go back again.

- Room
The four of us got a junior suite with a king size bed upstairs and a sofa bed downstairs. The room doesn't look as fresh and sharp in color as the picture on the website but was very comfortable and home like. There is a very lovely small balcony that overlooks the street. The bathroom has a shower stall only (a bit dark as the shower stall has solid walls on all 4 sides) no tub, but it didn't bother us. The layout of the WAN made me feel like I was visiting my uncle's house as you get different rooms of a big beautiful apartment. You have all the privacy once you close your room door but nothing about the public area reminds you that this is actually a commercial property.

- Location
I love the place. WAN is on the second floor of an apartment building in an upscale residential area. If you want to feel like a local, this is the place to stay at. If you want somewhere convenient yet quiet, this is the place as it' s only 10 min walk from the subway and funicular stations. There is a big supermarket near the subway station, and many small shops and restaurants in the area.

- Getting there
We took the subway from the Centrale Station but should have taken the taxi instead as we underestimated the number of stairs involved on the way. From the Centrale Station, you would need to take Metro Line 2 (it's called metro but it's the old style big railway type of trains), at the lower level, to Piazza Cavour (1 stop) and then exchange for Metro Line 1 (long walk in the station; follow the signs). Metro Line 1 is the typical subway train, clean and new. Get off at Piazza Vanvitelli. As soon as you pass the turnstile (after a long escalator ride), you see a bright tobacco/deli shop on the right. Take the exit right after the shop. After you get to the street level, you see a big ring road. You will be on the left hand side of the street. Keep walking straight, turn left on the first street (there is a big department store on that street, and the street is lined with cobblestone), and then turn right at the first intersection. Keep going for a few blocks and you will reach WAN (it's on the left).

- To go to different sites
We took the funicular to go the bay area (palace, castles, ferry to Capri etc.). We took the subway to the Centrale Station to exchange to the Circumvesuviana to go to Pompeii, Herculaneum, and the Vesuvius.

- People in Naples
I was very surprised at how underrated Naples is and how nice its people are. We had some trouble finding WAN the first time, and this old florist at Piazza Vanvitelli first drew a map for us (He didn't speak English). When he realized I didn't understand his map, he walked me all the way to the street that WAN was on. When we boarded the wrong Circumvesuviana train (they have different trains stopping at the same platform), one gentleman asked me whether we were tourists (guess that was obvious), and then said we must have been on the wrong train as that one wasn't going to any tourist sites. At the same time, two others held up the train door for us so that we were able to get off before too late. Each day in Naples, we met people who took the initiative to help us (or to ask whether we needed help). I have to say I was very much touched by the people's hospitality and kindness.

Nevertheless, like anywhere in Europe, watch out for the Gypsies... a 3,4 years old girl on the Metro Line 2 tried to steal our money but was stopped by a local on the train.

- Restaurant
Paolo and Patrizia will tell you the best place for gelato. It was good!! I would also recommend this restaurant on Piazza Vanvitelli (on the ring road). Think its name is Vanvitelli. It has a very small door and you need to walk down stairs. But since it's on a hill, downstairs is actually the first floor. It's actually HUGE inside and the food is really good and the price is low. It's filled with locals by 10. Out of the 4 nights we were in Naples, we had dinner there for 3 nights. The only night we had to eat at another restaurant was because we got there at 10 and it was way too crowded. Go there before 8:30 and the service will be really fast. I tried the fish baked with green olives. REALLY good. The fried baby octopus was the best I've ever had. The big grilled shimp was REALLY yummy too. The lobster with pasta was also the best I have ever had. Vanvitelli is by far our favorite restaurant during our 3-week trip to Italy.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Paolo and Patrizia were very accommodating from changing rooms when requested and offering assistance on our trips around Italy, even suggesting restaurants with delicious food in the neighborhood of Vomero and wherever else we went- Florence, Rome, and Ischia. They have the best Capuccino I've ever tasted with tasty cakes and a simple, but beautifully presented breakfast every time. Great shopping is just a few blocks away and the area is close to the port in Downtown Naples. We will definitely stay with Weekend A Napoli when we return to Naples. Thank you, Paolo and Patrizia!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2011

My husband has been staying at Weekend a Napoli for a few months now (he's still there), so I flew out to stay one month with him. We were so busy travelling that I only met Patrizia and Paolo during my final week. They were so friendly, their English is excellent, and so accommodating. They told us about a restaurant called "Il Basilico" and made our reservation for us. We were treated like royalty! The food was AMAZING (best dinner I had the entire time I spent in Italy) and I truly believe our great service was attributable to Paolo making our reservation. My husband had to work and I still hadn't made it to Capri, Patrizia didn't want me going alone and insisted on rearranging her schedule and being my tour guide! It was one of the best days I had in Italy. Capri is beautiful, but Patrizia got me through the lines (I would have been confused on where to go) and told me a little history about several places. She was wonderful!!

Since my husband is staying in Naples for a longer period of time, he is staying in one of their apartments next door to the B&B. It is very safe and clean. I know the next time I'm in Naples, I will stay here again!

Thank you Patrizia and Paolo!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Cynthia D
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was only at Weekend a Napoli for one week, and it is a delightful place to stay in a great location of Naples. But what really stood out to me was their desire to go above and beyond. I had a coworker coming in to town on short notice and he wanted to stay close to my coworkers and me for commuting. The owners went out of their way to adjust their schedules to make sure he had a room ready and waiting, and that made a big impression on me.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business