“Deceptive - Not recommended”

Carafa di Maddaloni B&B
Ranked #82 of 666 Naples B&B and Inns
Milan, Italy
“Deceptive - Not recommended”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

First off, the room I was given looked NOTHING like any of the photos on their site. It was a small apartment-like room that opened up directly into the courtyard (which housed many residences & businesses). I wasn't comfortable at all, especially as the windows opened up directly to the stairwell. Everyone had assured me that this area of town was safe, but I went to dinner literally a block and a half away and when I started to talk back to my hotel at 10pm, the restaurant owner freaked out and made his staff walk me back. When I returned to the hotel I found the entire courtyard was blocked off by large wooden doors, and none of the 4 keys the hotel had given me seemed to work! I had no idea the courtyard was blocked off after dark, probably because the woman who seems to run the B&B doesn't really speak english. "Daddio" does, but he was not readily available to answer any questions. The woman who runs it was very pleasant (from what I could tell with the language barrier) and left me breakfast in the fridge when she knew I was leaving early, but the entire experience was really fairly negative and the other two owners / workers at the hotel did not make me feel welcome at ALL (more like a nuisance), and I'm pretty low maintenance, generally. I was so freaked out by the entire experience I didn't sleep at all my one night there.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank justtojess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ireland
Reviewed 14 February 2010

It rained for much of our 4 night stay in Naples but this beautiful place Carafa di Maddaloni felt such a wonderful refuge and home to come back to. i wouldnt have cared what was happening outside...just to spend the whole time relaxing here would have been fine!!. But it is also situated in the middle of Naples, so that you can wander out and immediately be either in the main street for shopping, Via Toledo, or in the old city which is full of amazing churches and wonderful corners. The rooms are palatial and we felt like Countesses at least. Dario playing the piano in the afternoons added to the ambience. Only one small quibble...the breakfasts were fine but would have loved fresh croissants. However the relaxed way we could make tea or coffee whenever we fancied more than compensated. Our hosts were so helpful and friendly. It is truly a magical place to stay.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Iraishaya
Norway
Reviewed 11 October 2009

We just stayed for the second time at this nice B&B in very central Naples. On the corner of via Toledeo and Via b Croce, easy to find, close to all markeds and tiny streets.
Naples is Naples. Nice spacious roos, 6 meter under roof, ok bathroom and a bit hard beds, but ok. Ok breakfast and coffee. We will be back.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
boston
Reviewed 30 January 2008

me and my mom traveled to italy in the beggining of january to celebrate my graduation from college. i chose 3 cities that we would visit: Florence, Rome and naples!! when we were in Rome the lady at the hotel was asking us, why on earth we would want to go to naples, that it was dirty and unsafe. after hearing the same thing from different people me and my mom were expecting the worst. when we arrived by train to naples we were greeted by loud men asking us if we needed a taxi. once in the taxi we were drivin to the street, spaconapoli ( the center of naples). the street was bustling with loud people and i was a little intimated. well once we walked into this gorgeous castle (dont let the outside fool you!) i felt a lot better. The owner Alberto (Darios father) is in his 80's, greeted us the moment we walked in. he spoke very good english, having learnt it from the americans during WWII. he gave us a great place to eat, Lombardi's pizza, which was the best food we ate while in italy. we were only in naples for 3 days, bu alberto showed us everything. my mom paid him and he took us in his car all around naples to show us that there was more to it then people think and he was right! i enjoyed are stay here and would definatly reccomend this place to anyone. it is gorgeous inside and the people are so friendly and kind. Naples is not like most people imagine and would go back anytime.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
chicago
Reviewed 16 January 2008

We just came back from Neapoli. our stay there was great thanks to wonderful place which was our home for six nights "Carafa di Maddaloni B&B". this is XVII century palazzo, great aged outside and beautifully restored inside. Staying there you feel like you are nobility from XvII century. the room is huge with antiques and fire place! great modern bathroom. Dario, the owner, very sophisticated young men with perfect english, helping you with any questions you can have. location is in historical center of napoli which is very interesting part of the city not only because of its historical values but is full of everyday life of neapolitanians, fascinating to experience.
ask Dario for recommendation of restaurants. we went to one of the places he recommended "Bellini Restaurant" and ate there almost everyday.

• Liked — the feel of XVII century palazzo and hospitalyty of the owners
  • Disliked — that we could not stay longer
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank pythias