“Well-worth it, if you can find it!”
Review of Pompei Resort

Pompei Resort
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Pompeii
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I originally booked for 1 night; after reading such positive tripadvisor reviews, I decided to book 2 nights (April 3 & 4, 2013). Customer service is ideal. Ornella has such a pleasant, charming demeanor. Though all go out of their way to serve, she is present everywhere (breakfast room, receptionist desk, dinner area until as late as 10pm). If she works that many hours, you would never know it as she never looks tired.

I paid 49 Euros per eve including tax--a steal! Saved so much that I dined both eves in their 24 hour restaurant. I recommend the dinner special. for 18 Euros you get Sparkling water, a glass of wine, a three course meal & desert. Also, breakfast with 1 cappuccino (more co$ts), WiFi & shuttle service are complimentary. WiFi access was confusing for me: I couldn't log on by attempting to create a new Noody account. Upon explaining this to the staff, they had 1 day plastic cards available with username/passcode. It seems you must re-enter access info each time you move from your room to dining area & vice versa. Breakfast consisted of all the bad carbs but I more than hiked them off when I trekked Pompeii & Herculaneum. Compared to similar establishments in Rome, you absolutely get more bang for your buck here!

Again, thanks to other members' reviews, I extended my plans to cover two sites daytime; however, I advise staying a minimum of 3 nights as you may take full advantage of 5 sites! April [thru summer?] brings extended site hours (& perhaps Spring Deals). Others said they paid 20 Euros for entrance into Pompeii & Herculaneum and that they were required to visit both in the same day. That was not my experience. I paid the 20, but got 3 days to enter 5 sites! The day you pay is also Day 1. First day I hiked Pompeii for 7 hours--a fanatic, admittedly--second day, Herculaneum for 2.5 hours. Had I known there was a third day option, I would have hit the others (one was a museum with the famous "twisted dog", another the villa of a Roman woman, & Oplonti). WHEN I return, it will be for the full 3 days.

Caveat: it is challenging to find. There are 3 separate locations where the train stops in the town of Pompeii. Two companies manage the train system (Circumvesuviano & TrenItalia). It was confusing & I was lost trying to get there & lost again trying to return there on my last day from Herculaneum. Mind you I did all on public transport or ON FOOT! I don't do rental car or taxi. I was lost because THE TICKET OPERATOR SOLD ME THE WRONG TICKET. He sold me the wrong Pompeii destination. I should have been absolutely specific about which of the Pompeiis... Maybe the easiest way to arrive is to purchase your ticket from Circumvesuviano for 2.90 Euros & get off at Pompeii SCAVI, as that seems to be the most popular way. If you arrive before 5pm, go to the Info Kiosk. They will allow you to make a free call to the hotel for complimentary shuttle pick up. I did this. Francesco, the driver, is very friendly. Staff speaks English, so they will route Francesco to you promptly. When you check in, they provide maps to optimize your time. They can answer questions about Pompeii, but have nearly no knowledge about the other 4 sites including Herculaneum (Francesco has never been there).

The room itself was gorgeous, nicely decorated. Bed is quite low to the ground & a bit stiff, but I was comfortable. Walls a bit thin, but I usually sleep with ear plugs. Request a view of Mt. Vesuvius & they might provide. (They emailed me saying they couldn't, but my 3rd fl room (#203) had a partial view of the infamous volcano! Pool was closed during my stay.

Room Tip: The room itself was gorgeous, nicely decorated. Bed is quite low to the ground & a bit stiff, bu...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Quesillo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,398)

Reviewed 4 April 2013

I had heard this was like an italian Holiday inn and so was not overly looking forward to the stay, however as soon as we entered it was beautiful! so modern and pretty with very friendly receoptionists! The room was faultless - an amazing shower that I don't even think the Ritz would have! Lights, a radio, jets and a seat ;) The extras that were provided gave it that littel extra something, even a tootbrush, sewing kit and razor! Extra pillows in the wardrobe and a huge bed covered in a silky throw. Felt like real luxury and at such an amzing price!! Ornellla was lovely - at one point she told me that 'whatever I desired, they will do!" Very helpful and attended to anything that we needed! Also a very helpful girl at reception with long brown hair and glasses with lovely English and very smiley! The hotel even provided a free shuttle to anywhere in Pompeii that saved us so much money, as the only downfall is it is a little walk to the centre, but with the shuttle - this did not matter at all!! And the driver was so lovely he even spoke to the vesuvio bus manager to ensure we got on the right bus! We were serendaded during dinner and the food was very reasonably priced, of which a free breakfast was included each morning. I requested a view of the volcano, which we recieved and even had our own balcony! Absolute joy!! (It was so good that the next hotel we stayed in that was double the price I actually told them that how good Pompeii resort was and said they could learn a thing or two!! Only thing was the staff wore high heels and the floors in the hall are marble so late at night the clip clopping noise got a little annoying, but this soon stopped and we had a lovely sleep in a lovely room!

So much more than what I was expecting!

1  Thank lou b
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Excellent stay -staff spoke good English.extremely helpful and polite. Beautiful decor well appointed room and good size bathroom. Breakfast a little strange as mainly puddings!!
Would most definitely recommend very easy access to new town Pompeii and also the ruins.
The hotel arranged the most superb guide really brought everything to life. Most definitely wish to return.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Oliverwine
Reviewed 24 March 2013

A very pleasant stay in a conveniently placed hotel with comfortable rooms and free parking.
The reception desk, bedroom and dining room staff are particularly attentive and charming. One lady Ornellla Gramagna stands out with her enthusiasm and professional approach to her work.
A delight to be attended by her.

1  Thank guillermo b
Reviewed 21 March 2013 via mobile

We had originally planned to stay here for two days, but liked the hotel so much, we stayed another day.

The hotel offers a free shuttle bus service to anywhere you want to go. They will also pick you up when ready.

We walked into reception and were greeted by two lovely young ladies very warmly.

Check in was fast and efficient. One girl escorted us to our room.

Our room was adequate set up quite modern. The bed is low but comfortable. Ample pillows are provided.

We needed to slam our door shut to ensure that it was locked, as did other hotel guests by the constant sound of doors closing.

The bathroom is compact, but workable. Our room was serviced every day with our towels being changed also.

Soap, shampoo, etc., is also provided and replenished when needed.

There is an on site restaurant, which is quite nice and reasonably priced.

Staff in the diningroom were attentive and efficient.

Breakfast is your typical Italian meal - lits of cakes and sweets. Fresh fruit salad with yoghurt. Some cereal and fruit juice. Hard boiled eggs, ham and cheese also.

There is sliced continental bread provided but no toaster, which was disappointing.

There is a bar located in the same room, so any request for coffee or tea is done quite quickly.

You can order cooked eggs but at an additional cost.

The hotel provides free WiFi although you need to register via a mobile phone number.

In the lobby you have access to a computer and printer, although if internet access is required, there is a charge of Euro5,00 per hour. Not sure why when WiFi access is free throughout the hotel.

This is a family run hotel and the "extras" show. Personal service as needed/required is accommodated.

The decor is very modern as is the lighting in throughout the hotel.

The hotel is a 20 minute walk from the town centre and the same distance to reach one entrance to the Pompei archeogical site.

There isn't much around the hotel, so unless you have a car, you have to walk or rely on the shuttle bus.

The hotel doesn't have many brochures on sites and places to visit, which they should have so that you can plan your time in Pompei.

The only down side of this hotel, as it is so modern is the lack of a gym, pool, sauna, etc. As it is so far away from town, one would like to relax in a pool or sauna after a day of being out and about walking.

Overall, we would recommend this hotel if you are thinking about stopping in Pompei.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Front Desk help wasn't so friendly when asked why they needed our passports by my travel partner. The lady pretended not to understand English and the young man working behind the counter really didn't speak English very well so he just smiled and ignored the question.
Went to the Bistro to have coffee and met "Michele" who was very friendly and made us feel very welcome, he was also there to serve dinner. He is a great asset to the hotel. The hotel seemed very average but he definetly made our stay at this hotel.
We also liked the small gift of cookies wrapped and set on a little pomeii saucer when we walked into the room.
Clean large room, fair price, beds and pillows were a bit firm but normal in Italy, nice breakfast, clam with pasta was extremly salty.

Room Tip: If you are a big person the showers here are very, very small. For a small person, I could barely m...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Driving from Rome to the Amalfi coast, we decided to have a night in Pompeii. Booking this hotel through a phone app, i was a little worried that it may not turn out to be what the reviews said, but i was pleasantly surprised!

The room was great, big enough for one night. Although the ben was incredibly low!

The bathroom was great. The brilliant shower was just what you needed after a long day of traveling and driving.

Staff were great, and gave us a fantastic recommendation for dinner. They also booked a taxi for us. The driver dropped us off and collected us from the restaurant when we called. He was very well priced!

All in all, if your passing through and need a great, VERY well priced hotel, stay here.